Help Recommend My Next Headphone Amp!
Sep 15, 2015 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

rwpritchett

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

The quality of my headphones has outpaced the quality of my amps and its time for an upgrade. I'm relatively new to the hobby and started with some low level amps. Currently, the main amp I use is the 1st gen Aune T1. My climb up the headphone ladder has left me with the following headphones in my current stable: HiFiMan HE-500, AKG K702-65/AE, AKG K550, Focal Spirit Classic, Yuin PK1, and some others that don't really benefit from amping.

From what I've read, two of those headphones (the HE-500 and K702-65/AE) sound their best with an amp that puts out a lot of current and I think it's time to upgrade the underpowered Aune T1 MK1 which is also used as a DAC for my powered speakers and sub. For budget, I'd like to keep it under $400 unless forum advice leads me to save up more to get what I'm looking for. I listen mostly to FLAC files from the following genres: classic rock, modern rock, blues, acoustic, vocal jazz, classical. I tend to prefer v-shaped sound and I love realistic soundstage.

Must Haves:
  • RCA pre-outs for my powered speakers
  • 6.35mm (1/4") jack
  • USB, TOSLINK, or Coax input
  • Small desktop footprint
  • I prefer a DAC/Amp combo due to the size advantage, but open to separate components if stackable or small enough footprint
  • For the DAC, I would like minimum 192KHz sample rate

Like-to-Haves:
  • Variable pre-out instead of fixed
  • Support for 88.2KHz sample rate
  • Future upgrade possibilities (i.e. XLR balanced out, DSD support)
  • Low output impedance for my easy to drive cans
  • Adjustable gain

In my research, I've come across the following candidates:
  • Audio-GD NFB-15.32
  • Matrix M-Stage HPA-2
  • Schiit Magni/Modi Uber Stack, fully upgraded
  • A make/model I've overlooked?

Right off the bat the NFB-15 seems to check all the boxes. My only concerns with that one is it's been EOL'd and long distance customer support in Hong Kong. Perhaps the NFB-11 would be a better choice, but from what I've read the Wolfson NFB-15 DAC has the sound signature I'm looking for over the Sabre in the NFB-11. The Schiit stack has a lot of features I want, but it seems to be a side-grade from the Aune T1. I can't seem to find much information on the Matrix HPA-2 compared to Audio-GD or M/M, but it also has the largest footprint of the three. Then there's the last option... something I've missed in my research? I'd love to get a Woo WA7 Fireflies or Bifrost/Asgard 2 stack, but those are out of my price range. I don't have any local shops to try-and-buy so I'm trusting the forum for advice.

All advice and criticism welcome. Thanks in advance.

Sep 16, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #2 of 12
I really like my NFB-11, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy the NFB-15 instead of I was more interested in the dual Wolfson DAC. :)

Sep 16, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #3 of 12
The JDS Labs The Element is another to consider.

https://www.jdslabs.com/products/151/the-element/

You can have it configured with RCA outputs on the back instead of inputs.

Sep 16, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #4 of 12
@Music Alchemist:
I actually had the JDS Labs Element on my short list at one time. I eventually cut it from the list because it didn't support 192 and didn't put out as much power as some of the other options. I really like the looks of the amp, though.

@cel4145:
I've really been torn between the NFB-11 and NFB-15. It seems almost too good to be true that Audio-GD can pack so many options and power into their headamps. A few questions for you: Have you had any USB driver trouble with Win10? Did you buy straight from Audio-GD and how was that experience? Have you tried your amp with any orthos?

I might be open to getting the Sabre NFB. I've never had audio gear with a Sabre chip but everyone says they are more "analytical" and "transparent". I'm more interested in enjoying the music and some of my headphones are already very "analytical".

Good stuff guys. Keep it comin'.

Sep 16, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #5 of 12
@cel4145:
I've really been torn between the NFB-11 and NFB-15. It seems almost too good to be true that Audio-GD can pack so many options and power into their headamps. A few questions for you: Have you had any USB driver trouble with Win10? Did you buy straight from Audio-GD and how was that experience? Have you tried your amp with any orthos?

I don't use the optional ASIO drivers because I use WASAPI. It's plug and play.

Yes. You order factory direct. That's why the pricing is good. No problem doing so.

I used to have the HE-400. Worked great. Tried it with the HE-560s at a meet and it did very well.

Sep 16, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #6 of 12
You can still use the Aune T1 exclusively as a DAC and just get an amp. You'll need that tube sound for the HE-500 and the AKG 702. For amp if you want more tube check out the Feliks Audio Expressivo E: http://www.head-fi.org/products/espressivo-e-by-feliks-audio

I heard it at Can Jam London and bought one. It sounds niiiiiiiiiiice!. 

Sep 16, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #7 of 12
I actually had the JDS Labs Element on my short list at one time. I eventually cut it from the list because it didn't support 192 and didn't put out as much power as some of the other options. I really like the looks of the amp, though.

FYI: Hi-res audio has no added benefit (click here for proof) and only sounds different sometimes due to a different master being used. You can convert your hi-res files to Red Book (16-bit / 44.1 kHz, either lossless or even lossy 256 kbps AAC) and they will sound the same. As far as output power goes, The Element has more than enough for the headphones you are using. Any added power wouldn't be used. I can post the power requirements of your headphones to illustrate this, if you like. But I understand if you want to go with something else regardless.

Sep 16, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #8 of 12
@Music Alchemist
I'm aware that the benefit of super hi-rez is debatable. I want 192 as an upgrade from my current 96 because many albums I purchase from HDTracks don't offer 96, only 192, so I have a bunch. During playback, if my software isn't set up properly to downsample, playback will stop and it can be annoying. Same with 88.2, I have a number of albums in that format (I'm looking at you Thriller!!). It also irks me that most motherboard audio supports 192, so why shouldn't my dedicated equipment?

I read through the entire Element thread on here about a month ago. It seems you have to special order it to get the RCA jacks to be pre-out instead of line-in. Too bad they didn't just put a small switch on the back so you can have both. I suppose it's a fixed volume when configure this way but I can't confirm (same as the Aune T1). That may actually be what struck it from my short list. My powered speakers are Audioengine A2+, which have their volume pot on the back of the speaker. I'd love to control volume using a variable pre-out. I might put the Element back on the list...

@inthere
I've considered keeping the Aune T1 as a DAC. Specifically, I was looking at going with a Project Ember but the added component takes away from my desk real estate and I would basically have . That Feliks does look nice, though it might be a bit big for the space I have. I do like the tube sound (though I also like SS), although trying out different tubes can get expensive. I have about 20 different tubes for the Aune T1.

Sep 16, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #9 of 12
I'm aware that the benefit of super hi-rez is debatable. I want 192 as an upgrade from my current 96 because many albums I purchase from HDTracks don't offer 96, only 192, so I have a bunch. During playback, if my software isn't set up properly to downsample, playback will stop and it can be annoying. Same with 88.2, I have a number of albums in that format (I'm looking at you Thriller!!). It also irks me that most motherboard audio supports 192, so why shouldn't my dedicated equipment?

I read through the entire Element thread on here about a month ago. It seems you have to special order it to get the RCA jacks to be pre-out instead of line-in. Too bad they didn't just put a small switch on the back so you can have both. I suppose it's a fixed volume when configure this way but I can't confirm (same as the Aune T1). That may actually be what struck it from my short list. My powered speakers are Audioengine A2+, which have their volume pot on the back of the speaker. I'd love to control volume using a variable pre-out. I might put the Element back on the list...

What you could do to circumvent the problem entirely is use dBpoweramp to convert the files to whatever resolution is compatible with your gear. 16-bit / 44.1 kHz would be the easiest way to go about it. (And you can keep the original files backed up.)

I don't recall whether you'd be able to use the volume knob normally while using the outputs.

Sep 26, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #10 of 12
I too would recommend using the Aune T1 as Dac and get a tube amp. I'm currently using Aune T1 with Darkvoice 336se and it's a very nice combination with my hd650. A Feliks Audio Elise is arriving next month though. That's because I'm a tube lover.

Arriving next month as well is the NAD D1050 which I will be using as a DAC. I didn't even consider the NAD but since it's a gift I won't refuse. :)

Seeing how you prefer a combine DAC/AMP, the NAD D1050 is another option to consider. Nice looks, good reviews, supports 192 on USB and coaxial and 96 on optical. RCA or balance xlr output to your powered speakers or external amp and reasonably priced.

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #11 of 12
Sorry to leave the thread hanging. I ended up going with the Audio-GD NFB-15.32... well actually my wife did. Birthday present for me you see.

Anyway, I just received it today and I'm running it now using ASIO. It was a bit of a pain to get it up and running over USB. It was not as easy or straightforward as any of my other USB DACs.

So far, I'm really liking the extra power. I have to use high gain for my planars but the knob is only at 10 o'clock. The bass impact definitely has increased over my old setup. I'm not sure if that's due to the DAC or the increase in power. Probably a combination of both. It's definitely a warmer sound than I had before. I'll have to give it few days to get used to the new sound. Every time I get new audio gear its like a new pair of shoes. It feels different and it's not as comfy as the well worn-in stuff I'm coming from.

Thanks to everyone for the ideas. When giving my wife instructions on what to buy, I waffled between the Matrix M-stage, NAD 1050, and the JDSlabs Element because the ordering from Audio-GD was not as straight forward and she was a bit concerned the Chinese site wasn't legit.

:)

Oct 31, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #12 of 12
Congrats on the new amp! Audio-GD is definitely a quality operation, though they could use a website overhaul :tongue_smile:.

Oh, and happy birthday!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back