Help - recommend me a tube amp with upper treble to die for
May 27, 2005 at 7:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

TonyTripleA

500+ Head-Fier
Well, I've listened to a few tube amps and LOVED them all. But sofar haven't made that leap of commitment to actually buy one... but reading the thread of Yada's on the magic of the MPX3 has convinced me.

So my beloved solid state amp is to be sold. I'm saving my pennies. The moment of tube is approaching.

BUT... I need help!

I'm torn between deciding on a raptor or a MPX3. That 6moons review was so tempting for the latter... but what I'm after is all that tubey goodness with an upper treble that is not recessed. I also like bass slam that is not bloated but tight and impactful.

Okay, at my price range (sub US$1300 say) I will afford compromises. But what will provide the best balance.

Are the Raptor or the MPX3 the ones I should be looking at? And which one?

I place my headphone future in your hands!!!

Oh, I should add that SA5000 gets 95% of my at home listening time, MS-2 get the rest.

Thanks,

TonyAAA

May 27, 2005 at 8:08 AM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyTripleA
Well, I've listened to a few tube amps and LOVED them all. But sofar haven't made that leap of commitment to actually buy one... but reading the thread of Yada's on the magic of the MPX3 has convinced me.

So my beloved solid state amp is to be sold. I'm saving my pennies. The moment of tube is approaching.

BUT... I need help!

I'm torn between deciding on a raptor or a MPX3. That 6moons review was so tempting for the latter... but what I'm after is all that tubey goodness with an upper treble that is not recessed. I also like bass slam that is not bloated but tight and impactful.

Okay, at my price range (sub US$1300 say) I will afford compromises. But what will provide the best balance.

Are the Raptor or the MPX3 the ones I should be looking at? And which one?

I place my headphone future in your hands!!!

Oh, I should add that SA5000 gets 95% of my at home listening time, MS-2 get the rest.

Thanks,

TonyAAA

I have not heard the Raptor but from reading the reviews and spending alot of time with the Singlepower amps I would think in general the SP amps offer a little more of that "Tubey Goodness" your looking for without giving up detail, and good extention in both the treble and bass.
These probably are the two you should be looking at in your price range.
The 6m00ns review of the MPX3 is how I hear the amp too.

May 27, 2005 at 9:48 AM Post #3 of 17
thanks Tom, yeah that 6moons review ooozed with positive vibes!

TonyAAA

May 27, 2005 at 11:54 AM Post #4 of 17
Has anyone heard/compared Jan's new eartube at Meier Audio?

TonyAAA

May 27, 2005 at 11:56 AM Post #5 of 17
wait - wouldnt the sonic character of a tube amp have a bit more to do with the tubes you put in rather than the actual amp itself?
confused.gif

May 27, 2005 at 1:43 PM Post #6 of 17
I heard the Raptor at a recent meet and to me the MPX3 offers these advantages: more air between the notes, a more open soundstage, and a richer and fuller sound. Although different tubes change the sound, I believe both the Raptor and the MPX3 have sonic signatures unique to the amps themselves.

I thought the Raptor sounded like a cross between a solid state amp and a tube amp. It wasn't as open or as full sounding as my MPX3, but it had tube smoothness. It was definitely a nice amp, very non fatiguing. However, to my ear, the MPX3 is a better tube amp. The airyness or openess of the sound is what really strikes me about the MPX3. With the right headphones, Grado RS-1, it comes closer to a speaker experience (in regard to the openness of the sound) then any headphone/amp combo I've heard (which does not include a high end electrostatic system)

May 27, 2005 at 2:01 PM Post #7 of 17
kmcdonou: thanks for your thoughts. The recommendations on the MPX3 always seem very positive. I like the way you describe the "air" and "open" nature of the singlepower.

Adhoc: yes, the tubes will make a difference as is well documented here. I have read the threads and I will also correspond with singlepower as to their recommendation there. I'm sure I'll have to get them when I get the amp as obtaining tubes in Australia is likely to be somewhat difficult/expensive or both.

TonyAAA

May 27, 2005 at 2:51 PM Post #9 of 17
If you can wait a few days, there will be more than 1 SA5000, at least one MPX3, and at least one Raptor at the Sat, June 4 South Florida meet, so I'm sure there will be lots of impressions that may help.

Both Ray and Mikhail will also be at the meet, so if you have specific questions, pass them on.

May 27, 2005 at 4:31 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmcdonou
I heard the Raptor at a recent meet and to me the MPX3 offers these advantages: more air between the notes, a more open soundstage, and a richer and fuller sound. Although different tubes change the sound, I believe both the Raptor and the MPX3 have sonic signatures unique to the amps themselves.

I thought the Raptor sounded like a cross between a solid state amp and a tube amp. It wasn't as open or as full sounding as my MPX3, but it had tube smoothness. It was definitely a nice amp, very non fatiguing. However, to my ear, the MPX3 is a better tube amp. The airyness or openess of the sound is what really strikes me about the MPX3. With the right headphones, Grado RS-1, it comes closer to a speaker experience (in regard to the openness of the sound) then any headphone/amp combo I've heard (which does not include a high end electrostatic system)

I'm also torn between these amps. At the meet, I definitely thought your maxed MPX3 was the better of the two, but it's beyond what I'm willing to spend right now (then again, there's always the option to upgrade later.) Do you think that even the stock MPX3 is better than the Raptor?

- Rob

May 27, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #11 of 17
I would think the MPX3 with Solen I, Jensen Paper in Oil caps, and a Goldpoint attenuator would be around the same price as the Raptor (~$1,200). I paid a ~1000 for this combo as a demo unit back in December. I believe the retail cost was $1,297 or so for these upgrades as a new unit.

I know my MPX3 configured this way sounded better than the Raptor, with much of the same sound characteristics that I described earlier. In fact, this unit when broken-in sounded better than the MPX3 you listened to at the meet. Now, that said, when my current unit breaks-in, it will likely add greater openness, warmness, and resolution than the original. However, I suspect the change of sound that I will gain is not such an improvement that I wouldn't have been very happy with the original and never upgrading.

If you could only afford something less than $1000 (and I am not sure of current prices), I would get the stock MPX3 with the Solen I upgrade. The Jensen Paper in Oil caps add a darker, richer sound. SACD Lover actually likes the stock Orange Drop caps because of this reason. You can always add upgrades later.

May 27, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #12 of 17
kmcdonou, what do you consider to be the optimum/ideal maxed out configuration for a MPX3? (Also, are you referring to a MPX3 or a MPX3 SLAM (6SN7/5687) tube configuration?) Thanks, Yada

May 27, 2005 at 5:54 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
wait - wouldnt the sonic character of a tube amp have a bit more to do with the tubes you put in rather than the actual amp itself?
confused.gif

Design (and parts used)also has alot to do with the sonic sig of the tube amps. Mikhails amps offer quite a nice window to the actual sound of the tubes your using.

May 27, 2005 at 6:04 PM Post #14 of 17
I have SA5000 and a Raptor. I find it to be open and airy. Depending on the tubes used will depend on how "tubey" it will sound. Whether it's better, same or worse than the MPX3 is stricktly a matter of opinion and your particular preferences. I hardly think you could go wrong in either case. I would add the Eddie Current HD25 to the mix, just to complicate matters further. These are all fine amps and whether you like one better than the other is personal preference. Unfortunately, your location prevents you from getting an opportunity to try before you buy, I imagine.

I am sure, as agile_one pointed out that there will be plenty of impressions come 6/4 and 6/5. We should have internet at the meet site so I will try to have my computer on for anyone to post as the meet goes on. Any questions can be passed on to Mikhail and Ray.

May 27, 2005 at 6:17 PM Post #15 of 17
Yada, I've not heard the MPX3 slam, yet, but it is my impression from talking to Mikhail and other readings that the 5687 is not as musical as the 6sn7/12sn7. Yet, as you wrote in your thread, the Slam series still sounds damn good.

In regard to the ideal configuration, I don't know if there is an ideal. There are a lot of variables that affect the final sound, including source, interconnects, tubes, etc, along with your own personal tastes. PM SACD Lover if you want a better explanation of various configurations. I think he has four MPX3s, one PPX3, and has heard the Slam versions of both. He is also very nice helpful if you have questions.

When I was considering upgrading to Solen III from Solen I here is what Mikhail said:

The Solen Stage III is a good upgrade if you want the biggest soundstage and highest level of detail. The Solen Stage I is more neutral and the current sound will change with the Stage III upgrade. The amplifier will become more open and airy, and tone will change toward softer and warmer side. If you desire a warmer amplifier in addition to these other qualities, then this upgrade is for you.

The Black Gate upgrades are supposed to increase the speed of the amplifier and add transparency. My Black Gates only have 200 hours on them or so and still are affecting the sound in a more forward way. However, compared to my Solen I unit, I definitely get much greater resolution then the upgraded unit. Whether this is coming from the Black Gates primarily or them combined with the Solen III, I don't know.

Also, I can say that the Solen III sounds as open as my original MPX3 when it was fully burned in. Since, the Solen III still has a ways to go before fully opening up, it is going to be really nice when it gets there.

I don't think you really can go wrong with any configuration of MPX3. Well, that may not be true. SACD Lover really didn't like it when he used 5687 tubes with a Solen III upgrade. Too much bass and too dark. However, anything in the standard configurations will sound marvelous.

As I said earlier, I could have stayed with the MPX3 with Solen I, Jensen Paper in Oil caps, and Goldpoint Attenuator and been happy has Hell. It was a very open and musical sounding amp. Marvelous actually. Once it had fully broken in, it stunned me. Everytime I sat down to listen to it was a joy. I only upgraded because I wanted greater resolution. However, it did not need greater resolution. I just became a more critical listener and wanted more resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back