Help Recommend IEM for acoustic songs
Nov 28, 2014 at 6:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

theneos

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm in the market for an IEM.  maybe in the $100-$150 range.

I currently use a Senn HD 215 but I want something that I could use outside.

I'm thinking of buying a DAP : currently looking at the Hidizs AP100.  So the IEM should also work well with that DAP.

The kind of music I'm listening to are mostly acoustic/unplugged. I like to hear the pluck of the guitar strings, the clarity of it all.

Thanks for any suggestions.  Thanks!

Nov 28, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #2 of 7
The Hidizs AP100 is a very capable player and well built - I like it.

I've found the midrange particularly attractive when listening to acoustic music personally, but you think you want a lot of energy up top (in the higher frequency range)? No problem with that, it's a taste issue.

I'll suggest the Westone UM Pro 10 for it's clarity or the Etymotic HF5, but you might find these a little light on bass. It depends on your taste.

Single BA models are generally regarded as being great for clarity.

Dec 1, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #4 of 7
Sorry - weekend happened!

We have some GR07 (classic edition as opposed to bass edition) in the office and I've just tried them with some classical, a bit more bass thump than the two I suggested, but pretty accurate sounding. If you want something similar to the SE215 then the GR07 is the one -it has dynamic drivers like the SE125 does and sounds very good. If you want that underlying bass/foot in the sound then go dynamic.

You might love the sound and accuracy of a balanced armature such as in the two I suggested, but I took the 'accuracy' part of your request without the fact that you have the SE215, which is dynamically driven. If you've never noticed a sensitivity to higher frequencies then the BA choices I gave are worth looking into still.

Dec 1, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for your suggestions.

Will try to buy that GR07 Classic. 

On the AP100 that I bought, they have included the AKG K374. Still waiting to be shipped here but will try to buy the GR07 as well.

and oh, i don't have the Shure SE215.. what i have is the Sennheiser HD 215 headphone. :p

Dec 1, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #6 of 7
I would recommend the RE400 as a very natural sounding IEM with a very balanced and natural sound.  These are on sale ($79) from their original price of $99, which is already an excellent price.

Dec 2, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #7 of 7
and oh, i don't have the Shure SE215.. what i have is the Sennheiser HD 215 headphone. :p

Oops, time for an eye test!
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back