Help re using custom IEM's on phones via USB C
Jan 11, 2019 at 9:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

aussietanker

Head-Fier
Hi everyone.
Its been a while since i have been on the forum so this section is new to me and i hope that i am posting in the right section. Please move if i have posted this in the incorrect section.

I travel overseas a lot. So i listen to a lot of music and watch movies, videos and YouTube on my trusty LGV20 with its built in DAC while on long flights and when away. I have some really high quality custom molded IEM's that i use to listen to all this stuff.

It works perfectly for me.

The issue is that my phone is "dying" so i need to replace it. And almost none of the possible replacements that i am considering have a headphone jack. :frowning2:

I have been looking at the Pixel 3, Huawei Mate 10 and 20, Samsung 9 note (which i think is the only one with the headphone jack) in that order of preference.

I was told by the sales rep that most people are now "going wireless" but that if i really want to use my cable earphones i can just buy a USB C > Audio jack connector cable.

So my question to all the tech ppl on here is what is the audio quality of these cables? Will i get as good and as reliable audio as using a traditional audio jack? Will it be able to play both the audio from my MP3 music collection as well as the audio from movies and YouTube videos etc? I also have some concerns about the longevity of the USB C connection if i am going to have my IEMs plugged in and out of the connection a lot listening to music etc as well as when charging)

And finally, any recommendations as to which of the above phones might have the best audio?

Thank you all :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back