Help/Rant about In-ear headphones
Dec 22, 2014 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Opblaaskaas

New Head-Fier
Hello,

About a year ago I decided to buy in-ear headphones for listening to ASMR videos. I bought the Steelseries in-ear ones.

They recently broke, the audio in one of the cables just cut off now and then. I had them for less than a year, they cost me €50, and they already broke.

I decided to look for reviews and hopefully get a more sturdy one, so I decided to go for the (more expensive) Astrotec AX35's.

I received these a couple of days ago, and the audio from one of the buds is already going 'quiet' now and then when I wiggle the cable.

Because they were showing the same symptoms, I thought it might have had to do with my computer, so I tested them out on my phone. Nope, same issue.

I treat everything very gently, never tug cables or anything.

Am I just very unlucky? Because this to me seems like in-ear headphones are flimsy as hell. I can't and don't want to buy new ones every year.

I've read tons of reviews on these forums and other websites, and nowhere did I find anything about either headphones breaking like this.

I deal with a lot of stress and I don't want to wait weeks on weeks before they send these broken headphones back from repairs. So I'm really looking for just decent headphones that won't break when I even touch them, so I can listen to ASMR. Reasonable price would also help, because I'd rather not pay €50 per year.

Sorry for this rant, but I ordered the Astrotec's two weeks ago when my Steelseries broke, and I had nothing to use meanwhile. Having these break on day three got me completely frustrated.

Dec 22, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #2 of 3

I treat everything very gently, never tug cables or anything.

Am I just very unlucky? Because this to me seems like in-ear headphones are flimsy as hell. I can't and don't want to buy new ones every year.

I've been waiting for my MEE M6P to kick the bucket so I can justify getting a T-1E or B3 Pro, but this one's still going strong despite being 3yo and getting tossed around a lot. Heck, my JBuds J3 is still alive after four years, and those have the flimsiest-looking cables out of anything I ever bought. There might be something else that you're doing but are not aware of is actually damaging them. I have lots of friends who claimed to "baby" their Apple earbuds and wondering why the earphones I toss around last longer, only for me to see them wrapping them around their iPods while plugged in, putting a high amount of stress on the cable near the plug.

Dec 22, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #3 of 3
My IEMs faced a lot of cable issues but I always managed to fix those... I'm a hobbyist with some knowledge of electronic work and most importantly, soldering. Also some simple tricks really do help in maintaining those delicate cables for long period. Ask me if you need any recipe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back