Help! radio being picked up on TT or Phono
Dec 28, 2006 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

intlplby

500+ Head-Fier
I have a Consonance Opera 2.0 turntable and PM-1 phono amp

I have rewired the tonearm and shielded the cable with metal braiding....

however today i was playing a record and after it finished i noticed a radio station was being picked up and playing in the background.... i checked to see if this was the case with other sources and it wasn't.... it was only on the turntable and when i turned my phono amp off it went away...

how do i fix this?

Dec 28, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 16
separation is probably the easiest way, ie move the phono stage around until it you don't hear it as much. Some kind of mains filter may also help, try running an extension lead to a different part of the house and plugging the stage into that. Is your arm still grounded? Is it picking up the RF from a tuner in your system or RF from an actual broadcast station?

Fran

Dec 29, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 16
Some of your cables must be acting as an antenna - try re arranging the interconnects/repositioning the phono stage and using an extension lead to try out power from other parts of your house.

You know the way to go here is the way of the vulcan - logically and step by step. Disconnect everything and then reconnect one by one and wait for teh reintroduction of the interference etc etc etc, boring I know but the only way to go.

Fran

Dec 29, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #5 of 16
I think everyone is giving you the wrong advice. I'd move the cables around until you get the best reception and then enjoy your free tuner, although you'd have to like that particular station.
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 30, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #7 of 16
I can pick up a radio station from one of the channels of a beringer mixer and powered mackie speakers. The culprit? no idea....and its almost kinda creepy if you ask me....like some sort of alien radio vodoo. Oh...and yes, the station is also some bible thumping repent for your sins jesus lives crap as well!

Dec 30, 2006 at 5:38 AM Post #8 of 16
Jesus is just getting creative.

Dec 30, 2006 at 6:47 AM Post #11 of 16
I pick up a ton of interference on all of my equipment. I suppose that's the penalty of living under power lines and radio towers. No matter what I do, my gear picks up interference. It's ridiculous. About the only option I have left is to turn my bedroom into a giant Faraday cage.

Dec 30, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #14 of 16
Bluejeans sells some solid but affordable RF-blocking cable. Maybe they'll make you a TT pair, and a normal set of ICs to connect the phono stage to the amp?

Dec 30, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #15 of 16
It's a step-by-step process.
First, disconnect the IC from TT to phono-stage. If reception is gone then you know it's either the pickup or the cabling.
Now connect any shielded IC to the phono input with the other side floating. That ought to tell you if the cable is the source.
Disconnect the pickup to determine if the source is the tonearm cabling or the cartridge itself.
Once you identify the source then you've gone maybe 10% of the way... Now you are ready to tackle the real problem
evil_smiley.gif
with different grounding schemes, cable swaps, etc.
Hope that you find the source to be the electronics and not the TT itself. In that case, you will have to try different grounding schemes for the rack rather than chase a 'ghost' in the delicate TT setup.
Regarding cable shields, make sure that the shield is grounded on one end only! If it's connected to the ground on both ends then you form a bypass to the ground wire in that cable. Not a good thing!
mad.gif

A possible "patch" that would be fine with MM cartridge is a small cap (220pF or less) at the two channel inputs of the phono stage. It would shunt RF before it enters the equipment and "rectified" by the electronics. More elaborate "tuned shunt" schemes would be even better but they usually require inserting more connectors in this low-level run, which is a drawback as well.
The real last resort... Well, you probably saw those WWII movies when a guy pops out of the smoke... Target destroyed...
k1000smile.gif
I'm sure the station will understand you. They are preaching peace on Earth (they all do!)
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back