Help!!! R-Core PSU for DacMagic
Dec 19, 2012 at 5:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ig983

New Head-Fier
Hi!
I`ve been reading a lot about the benefits of changing the PSU on the DacMagic. 
My budget is very limited, way below the RA and Little Pinky, so I was wondering, can I simply buy an R-Core transformer, say, 50VA 12V+12V and just plug it in? :D
Or is there something I˙m not seeing?

I was thinking something like this, only bigger
http://www.ebay.com/itm/30W-115V-230V-R-Core-Transformer-Output-12V-12V-/221120194467?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337bca67a3

Thanks! :)

Dec 22, 2012 at 7:31 AM Post #2 of 5
Is there any tutorial for that ? 
confused.gif

Dec 22, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
Hi!
I`ve been reading a lot about the benefits of changing the PSU on the DacMagic. 
My budget is very limited, way below the RA and Little Pinky, so I was wondering, can I simply buy an R-Core transformer, say, 50VA 12V+12V and just plug it in? :D
Or is there something I˙m not seeing?

I was thinking something like this, only bigger
http://www.ebay.com/itm/30W-115V-230V-R-Core-Transformer-Output-12V-12V-/221120194467?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337bca67a3

Thanks! :)

No, you can't just plug it in.  The wiring alone is enough to kill you if you aren't experienced and know what you're doing.  Plus, there's a lot more that goes into a quality audio power supply than just the transformer.  That's why power supplies such as the Little Pinky cost what they do.

That said, there is no exclusivity to a DacMagic power supply upgrade.  Any decent, linear-regulated power supply with the same voltage/amp specs would be an improvement over stock.  There are plenty of those designs around here and elsewhere - but you may need to get more experience in DIY-ing before tackling something with voltages that can kill, as any line voltage device can do under the right circumstances.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back