HELP! Problems with Chaintech AV-710 + Klipsch Promedia GMX D-5.1
Aug 29, 2004 at 5:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

stjopey

New Head-Fier
Following many member's advice, i bought the Chaintech AV-710 thinking that it would be great for my Klipsch Promedia GMX D-5.1 because it has a digital out.

Now that i have it, i can't seem to get the 5.1 surround sound working with the digital out. I'm not sure if it's the drivers or what but i tried both the Envy Family Drivers V143d + Envy Family Drivers V310a. When enabled with 5.1 surround + digital out checked it only seems to send signals to the right and left and not the rest of the surround speakers. So right now the speakers is getting a signal but only right and left signal, and i have to have the external DAC "spread" (i donno) the signal to the rest of the speakers. Could someone please help me out, i would like to use the sound card for music (high res) + 5.1 movies.

Thank you so much.

Aug 29, 2004 at 2:53 PM Post #3 of 9
For 2-channel music it's normal to only get stereo sound, however if you're only getting stereo sound while listening to movies then you should disable the high res mode (when you're listening to movies) and enable SPDIF pass through in your DVD playback software.

Aug 29, 2004 at 3:13 PM Post #4 of 9
Ahhh i see, ok that makes sense, but when i click on 5.1 and supposely turn it into outputing 5.1 it only outputs stereo (no high res output). For example there's the tab where you can test your speakers, when i click on the center or sub or back right/left surround nothing comes out, only front right and front left i hear the drums. Isn't the software suppose to be able to access these speakers, and currently i'm using the V310a software.

Aug 29, 2004 at 3:49 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by stjopey
Ahhh i see, ok that makes sense, but when i click on 5.1 and supposely turn it into outputing 5.1 it only outputs stereo (no high res output). For example there's the tab where you can test your speakers, when i click on the center or sub or back right/left surround nothing comes out, only front right and front left i hear the drums. Isn't the software suppose to be able to access these speakers, and currently i'm using the V310a software.

SPDIF digital connections only support stereo sound (unless the signal is compressed with Dolby Digital or DTS, like DVD movie soundtracks).

Quote:

Also it seems that i cannot output high res via digital output, the options are faded out when i change it to 2 channel(high res). Anyone know why?

I don't know, but on the 1.43d drivers you NEED to enable the digital outputs to use the high res mode, so you might want to give those a try (the download is linked in the setup guide listed in my sig).

Aug 29, 2004 at 3:52 PM Post #7 of 9
Mr. Radar, your awesome, thanks for helping me make sense of this stuff, i'm going to try the other drivers now. I've read alot of threads but some of the tech words are just hard to understand for a non-audiophile.

Aug 29, 2004 at 4:24 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
SPDIF digital connections only support stereo sound (unless the signal is compressed with Dolby Digital or DTS, like DVD movie soundtracks).

I don't know, but on the 1.43d drivers you NEED to enable the digital outputs to use the high res mode, so you might want to give those a try (the download is linked in the setup guide listed in my sig).

Awesome, it's working now, thanks a bunch.

Aug 29, 2004 at 7:05 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by stjopey
Awesome, it's working now, thanks a bunch.

No problem. If you don't understand something just ask and I'll explain it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back