HELP!! PPX3-Slam plus K701 equals bass distortion!
Apr 24, 2006 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

cheechoz

Headphoneus Supremus
I must be losing my mind, but I am trying everything to get my K701's not to distort when I want to raise the volume on my Slam!
mad.gif

I spoke with Mikhail on Saturday at the national meet, and he said that the Slam has to much current!
confused.gif
I really couldn't spend time discussing this with him, but he will make adjustments if need be.

Does anyone no why this is happening, I have tried tube rolling, and even both ends of the texture control, but to no avail!

Apr 24, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #2 of 72
If your amps putting out too much current like Mikhail says tube rolling wouldn't solve the problem I think. Also, I can't imagine that the amp pushing too much power through your phones to the point where they distort is a good thing. If I were you I wouldn't use your amp for now (sucks...) and would send it to Mikhail right away to get it fixed. No point in risking your headphones also.

Apr 24, 2006 at 11:44 PM Post #4 of 72
I can get my 701's up to the 11 o'clock position on the MPX3 slam with no distortion, but I can't bear going beyond that point. My ears simply won't take it.

IMO, one of the things that I love about the 701's is that they can give such detail and quality bass at lower levels. I've owned some cans that really didn't shine until they were driven to levels that I found uncomfortable for extended listening.

Apr 24, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #5 of 72
If you send it back to Mikhail, it might be worthwhile sending in the K701s with it to help him isolate the problem. He may even be able to tweak the amp to the headphones while he's at it.

Apr 25, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #7 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
i tried a pair of 701s with my slam a couple months ago, and i had no distortion. is it distorting with any other phones?

None!! My Grados crank to the point where my ears will bleed, but of course, I don't listen at those levels!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
Do your 701s distort with other amps? Could always be a problem with them and not the amp.

Not at all! I run them out of my 0404, and SR-71, and man, do they sound good, even at high volumes!

If only my GS-1 would get here already, I would really be able to see what the problem is!

Apr 25, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #9 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by ej82m
I also got distortion at about 12 oclock on my ppx3 when I tried the 701's.
frown.gif

We are not the only ones, I talked to some other members at the meet, and they all told me the problem before I even had a chance to explain!
confused.gif

Apr 25, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #10 of 72
Quote:

I also got distortion at about 12 oclock on my ppx3 when I tried the 701's.
frown.gif

in the case of the 6SN7 output PPX3s, the amp is probably just running out of current.

Apr 25, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #11 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
in the case of the 6SN7 output PPX3s, the amp is probably just running out of current.

Probably. They sound better plugged into my friend's dac than from my ppx3, but distort there as well. They sure are power hungry phones.

Apr 25, 2006 at 12:58 AM Post #12 of 72
Quote:

Probably. They sound better plugged into my friend's dac than from my ppx3, but distort there as well. They sure are power hungry phones.

I'm cranking the K701's as I type out of my SR-71 amp, and they are crystal clear, without a hint of distortion. I even turned up the dial to see how well they take the power, and again, not a problem!

Apr 25, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #13 of 72
Hmm, this is not comforting news for me, since I'm planning on getting the 5687 adapters for my PPX3 which is currently using 6CG7 tubes. Are you guys getting distortion using the 6SN7 tubes as gain-tubes? Or is the distortion also apparent using 6CG7 tubes as gain-tubes? I'm assuming that you guys use 5687 tubes for output.

Apr 25, 2006 at 2:34 AM Post #14 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz
Hmm, this is not comforting news for me, since I'm planning on getting the 5687 adapters for my PPX3 which is currently using 6CG7 tubes. Are you guys getting distortion using the 6SN7 tubes as gain-tubes? Or is the distortion also apparent using 6CG7 tubes as gain-tubes? I'm assuming that you guys use 5687 tubes for output.

I have to have Mikhail check out my Slam internally, I might have a bad resistor, or something else!

Apr 25, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #15 of 72
^

Another thing, the most I can handle out of my PPX3 right now is 10 o'clock, at max. Usually I have it at 8 or 9 on most recordings, and 10 if the recording volume is really low. So far I've not heard any distortion from my K701s. So hopefully this problem isn't endemic with all PPX3s. But I hope you figure out what's wrong and that everything works out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back