Help: PMX100 Vs. PMX200
Jan 14, 2006 at 2:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

eddycha

New Head-Fier
Hey Guys

I got an apple ipod 5g for christmas and i really want to get new headphones. Seems my ears are too big for in ear headphones so they dont sit in properly so i het no bass at all. Plus ipod headphones rattle a lot.

Basically i want a pair of super-aural headphones which go behind the neck. After searching the forums and other websites, the PMX100 or PMX200 seem like the best for me.

As far as i can tell, these are based on their PX counterparts and so i would assume they sound the same. And from searching around, generally people prefer the PX100. Does anyone have any experience with the PMX series to let me know cos i want a comfy, good sounding pair of headphones (preferebly that dont leak sound and close of a bit of sound too) but then i heard these leak a bit.

Basically...which pair should i get?

Thanks - Ed

Jan 14, 2006 at 4:15 PM Post #2 of 11
wow this forum moves fast. i want to buy whichever is voted best in the next few days cos i need them for a ski trip im going on.

so any ideas? sorry to bump but it looked like my topic was gonna get thrown off the edge of oblivion!

...im sure im not the only one who cares
tongue.gif

Jan 15, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #3 of 11
I don't think too many people here have heard the PMX series, but they do seem to have basically identical earcups to the PX series, which a lot of head-fi'ers are very familiar with. I like both the PX100 and PX 200, personally, but they do sound a bit different. If you want something that won't leak and that provides at least a small amount of isolation, the closed PMX200 is probably what you're looking for. With most types of music, however, the PX100 can sound a bit better.

Jan 15, 2006 at 4:54 PM Post #4 of 11
If the same PX drivers are used in the PMX streetstyles, then it is a no looker. PMX100! You will not regret it. I still use my PX100 even though I have the HD650!

Jan 17, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #5 of 11
i appreciate your responses. I had quite a dilema. In the end i ordered the PMX200 as i really wanted the sound isolation. I use my headphones on very noisy buses with rattling and beeping. Plus im going on a trip where i'll be sitting next to someone on a bus for hours and i dont want to be worried about the noise.

So it should be good. Also i heard the slight lack of bass on the px200 compared to the px100 resolves itself after a burn in time of maybe 20-30 hours so it should sound better and better. i'll let u know when i get a pair
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 17, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by eddycha
i appreciate your responses. I had quite a dilema. In the end i ordered the PMX200 as i really wanted the sound isolation. I use my headphones on very noisy buses with rattling and beeping. Plus im going on a trip where i'll be sitting next to someone on a bus for hours and i dont want to be worried about the noise.

So it should be good. Also i heard the slight lack of bass on the px200 compared to the px100 resolves itself after a burn in time of maybe 20-30 hours so it should sound better and better. i'll let u know when i get a pair
smily_headphones1.gif

Cool! You won't regret it. Calling the slight muffling of the bass, "lack of bass" is an inaccurate description. The bass is just not as deep and resonant in a closed pair of headphones than in an open pair.

Jan 17, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #7 of 11
Hey sorry. That was just a bad choice of words. The review i read said that after the burn in time, the bass became more extended i.e. lower frequencies became activated or something.

To be fair im going from using really old broken sony in ear headphones and then ipod headphones to these so im gonna be impressed to no end, regardless of any slight differences.

Thanks again
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #8 of 11
interesting design:

SENPMX100.PNG

Feb 4, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
interesting design:

SENPMX100.PNG

And since my new PX100 bought last week sounds quite a bit nicer than my two older pairs, which should prove that I got the new ones with the "copper clad aluminium wire" voice coils, then the PMX100 should be guaranteed to feature the same sonic improvement...

Feb 4, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexs
If they are already clipons, why is there a band that goes behind the neck?

they're street styles. the ear clips are so they stay on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back