Help Plz: Jays q-jays vs ER-4S/P
Feb 14, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #2 of 14
I haven't heard the Jays, but last night I received my ER4P with my P->S adapter, they sound fantastic.

I listen to a lot of rock, and a fair share of jazz and classical, and it's fantastic.

It is extremely detailed, I am enjoying it a lot.

My .02c

Feb 14, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard the Jays, but last night I received my ER4P with my P->S adapter, they sound fantastic.

I listen to a lot of rock, and a fair share of jazz and classical, and it's fantastic.

It is extremely detailed, I am enjoying it a lot.

My .02c

Do you see yourself ever turning back to P, without S?

Feb 14, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #6 of 14
Wow.

Answer his question, not start new ones....

CML, the er4s/p is leaned much more towards the high's/mid-range. Though they have amazing detail and clarity, the bass section is lacking.

If you would like a more balanced sound Q-Jays are the way to go-
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 14, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #8 of 14
New toy syndrome?

Again . CML, the Q-Jays have a much more balanced sound than the er4s/P. The bass on the er4p/s (unless you are driving from an amp) is in my opinion tight, compact... but lacking in depth, and impact.

However if you will invest abit more and buy an amp, the ER4 will get a much needed boost in the lows
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 14, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by En_R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
New toy syndrome?

Again . CML, the Q-Jays have a much more balanced sound than the er4s/P. The bass on the er4p/s (unless you are driving from an amp) is in my opinion tight, compact... but lacking in depth, and impact.

However if you will invest abit more and buy an amp, the ER4 will get a much needed boost in the lows
smily_headphones1.gif

ER4P has more bass if that's what you want, ER4S more details and clarity. You just can't have both at the same time, at least not with the single driver. Alternatively ER4S with foam tips has some warmth but lacks crispiness of triple-flanges.
I can only speak of Zune and Pico, but my experience that bass alone does not increase with the amping, only proportionally with the volume boost.

"Balanced sound" is an objectable thing, balanced for one can be overwhelmingly bassy for another. Not to say that Q-Jays are, but they certainly cannot reach ER4 details level, hardly any sub $300 IEM can.

Feb 15, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #11 of 14
I am trying to decide between the er4p and q-jays myself. I guess since q-jays are out of stock all over I can think about it awhile...but I really would like to read others compare these two.

I really want a tad bit more bass and I am coming from scl4 which is great and I had read a lot like the etys but I think I would enjoy more bass but not lose the highs and clarity. I read a few say the er4p has great bass but it's hard to gauge what that really means. As we all hear differently and it all ends up a gamble hehehe.

Is the bass on er4p deeper then shures scl4? which is the same as shure e4c but renamed now.

Feb 15, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #12 of 14
i'm pretty sure that there isn't a more balanced headphone out there than er-4s besides grado hp-1. the only thing lacking from the bass is body/weight and impact. volume is there and extends quite low for those of you who can actually hear notes that low.

when you read about 'great bass' from the etys, it's that each note is well defined and goes from note to note without any lingering. it's almost too clean so it sounds totally different from what you hear out of speakers. you're either going to love it, or think that it's totally weak which is the case for most people because they either can't adjust and appreciate it, or simply don't want to give up that bloated sound they're so used to...

Feb 15, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #13 of 14
ahhh, the beauty of the very similar altec lansing im716 is that it gives that wonderful ety sound and with the flip of a switch you can get some more bass if you need it (perhaps akin to the p->s path?). i'd like to hear how the q jays compare not only to the etys and altecs, but also to top drawer shures, westones, and ultimate ears.

Feb 15, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm pretty sure that there isn't a more balanced headphone out there than er-4s besides grado hp-1. the only thing lacking from the bass is body/weight and impact. volume is there and extends quite low for those of you who can actually hear notes that low.

when you read about 'great bass' from the etys, it's that each note is well defined and goes from note to note without any lingering. it's almost too clean so it sounds totally different from what you hear out of speakers. you're either going to love it, or think that it's totally weak which is the case for most people because they either can't adjust and appreciate it, or simply don't want to give up that bloated sound they're so used to...

Great post...and a great way to desribe Ety bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back