Help please with upgrading speakers
Jul 14, 2012 at 7:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

fluxcapacitor

New Head-Fier
Hi, i'm not an audio whizz so i thought i'd come & ask the experts for help
redface.gif

My speakers are starting to break down on me, in that the wired analog volume controller box is losing audio & i have to keep twisting the 3.5mm jack of my headset in the socket to get the full sound back(constantly if it moves around).

These are my sound devices atm:

SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer soundcard
Creative Inspire T7900 speakers
Sennheiser PC 360 headset

So basically i'm looking for help please, to find something nice to replace (upgrade) the speakers.  Something similar in build with a sub woofer & analog volume controller box would be nice, i'm familiar with this setup but i am open minded to suggestions. It doesnt need to be 5.1+ speaker setup as i use the headset 99% of the time for gaming purposes & only setup 3 of the speakers which i use for when watching Youtube videos. I'd also prefer it be wired as opposed to wireless please & not too large.

The reason i want to use something i can control on my desk, is that my PC is in a ventilated desk draw, which i dont want to be getting in & out all the time to change speakers to headset(it's hard work enough for me taking it out to clean every so often).  

I'm open to your suggestions & the budget, i'd like to keep it under £250. As long as it can push a good quality signal from my soundcard through it to my headset for gaming purposes i'll be a happy bunny.

Thank you for any help & please ask if you need any more information 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #2 of 6
Superfi.co.uk has a few speakers on sale. that Wharfedale's 2.1 package at £230 seems a pretty good deal, and should be quite a step up from the Creative's. the sub is powered, but the speakers require an amp. a small T-Amp can drive those speakers. however, you need to check how you're gonna connect the sub (I've never owned a sub).

for powered desktop speaker the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 or the Audioengine A2 would be another choice.

I'd recommend against getting anything similar to the Creative's you have just to save few quid.

Jul 14, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #3 of 6
Hi, thanks for the reply.

The Wharfedale's 2.1 sound a bit out of my setup experience, no idea what a T-Amp is. A new set of Klipsch Pro.M 2.1's arent avaialble in the UK or shipped for a reasonable price. Not sure about the Audioengine A2 tbh, with the static volume control on the back of the speaker not being ideal.

What do you think of set's like the Corsair SP2500 & Logitech Z-906 ?

Cheers.

Jul 14, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #4 of 6
I've zero experience with those speaker systems. personally I think they're not worth the money, but it quite possible that they'd fit your purpose.

in that price range I'd rather get these Wharfedale's + T-amp. chances are you'll like them more than the Senn PC360. as long as you plug everything in the right port, then it just works, not much to it.

check also avforum/avsforum for general advice on speaker systems, or a local hi-fi shop for an audition.

Jul 15, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
I've zero experience with those speaker systems. personally I think they're not worth the money, but it quite possible that they'd fit your purpose.

in that price range I'd rather get these Wharfedale's + T-amp. chances are you'll like them more than the Senn PC360. as long as you plug everything in the right port, then it just works, not much to it.

check also avforum/avsforum for general advice on speaker systems, or a local hi-fi shop for an audition.

I guess i'm a stickler for the mainstream overpriced branded rubbish
tongue_smile.gif

I've seen good reviews for those Corsair & Logitech speakers, like you say, they do appear to fit my purposes more. I'm not looking to replace my headset with using purely speakers. Thanks for the help & suggestions, i'll check them out.  

Quote:
Well if used is fine you'd end up with far superior SQ for less $$ so how about fishing for amps/speakers @ Gumtree UK? NAD 3020 classic amps go for 20-40 quid regularly there 
tongue_smile.gif

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/nad-3020-stereo-amplifier/106502007

deadhorse.gif
 I'd prefer brand new, thanks anyway. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back