Help please with $60~$150 in-earphones, durability + bass
Aug 29, 2013 at 1:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

aoiara

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, new here. 

I'm looking for a nice decent pair of in-ear earphones. Two factors stand out on top for me : durability and bass.
I really enjoy some deep and powerful bass, even if it's a bit muddy. I listen to a lot of EDM and hip hop, so bass is definitely my focus. 
Durability is something I absolutely require. I'm very rough with my earphones; I take them to work out and they get pulled on and crushed very frequently. They need to resist sweat too. 

A great example of what I've been using are V-Modas. They've worked perfectly for me so far. Not the best sound quality, but I love the bass and I love the durability even more. They're made from some kind of metal. 

My V-Moda Remix Remote pair withstood two years of unjustifiable abuse. I've dropped them in ponds twice, sweat all over them, stepped directly on the bud more times than I can count, rolled over the wire with a chair (the wire got caught in the chair and pulled pretty harshly), pulled out of my ear, trapped on objects, forcibly yanked on, swung around helicopter style, wrapped around my iPod (I know it's taboo but it's just convenient), etc. It's survived for so long, that I just want to get them again. 

But if there's a better choice for me, one with great muddy bass, but most importantly, one with extreme durability. I can buy a $400 pair but I can almost ensure that most would break within half a year. 

Thanks!

Aug 29, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #2 of 4
How about Shure SE215? It has good bass, is tough and has removable cable incase the cable gets damaged.

Aug 29, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #3 of 4
I like the detachable cable, but can the buds themselves withstand the kind of abuse I throw at it? I've gone as far as crushing my V-Moda pair with a small weight by accident, and it came out without a scratch. I've had this design before, it didn't last me stepping on it by accident.

Aug 29, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #4 of 4
I don't think you will come across issues of built quality with the Shures, especially the 215. They look kind of tough too.
It's difficult to say how v-modas will compare but even a crush by a small weight is subjective. ie:- an elephants feet has less crushing power than a women wearing a stilettos, the angle of the weight displacement etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back