Help please! Super small head/ears... Sennheiser Momentums? tried V-MODA XS no luck
Mar 1, 2015 at 1:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

aubergine

New Head-Fier

Hello all.  I’m new here (apologize for the long post in advance) and I need help.  I know there have been some other threads related to this topic, but apparently I have a VERY small head because all headphones are too big, and I'm at a bit of a loss of what to do.  I'm a woman, if it matters, and also have quite small ears.

BACK STORY: After researching, etc. I purchased V-Moda XS's.  I like their sound (balanced and detailed, present - maybe a little forward -  w/ good mids, bright not tinny highs, and decently sturdy but not overwhelming bass) and their look, BUT they’re too long, sitting just below the top of my ear and end up pressing on my upper jaw.  They’re also somewhat slippy, as several reviewers have noted (If I tilt my head back/forward and stay that way, they slowly slide nearly off), yet the on-ear pressure is kind of high.  They adjust, but only even longer! I guess I need adjustable up and in, and haven’t found that many quality headphones do this.

MY QUESTION: Does anyone know of any decent, relatively comfortable headphones that aren’t super long or super wide and would fit on a very small head?  If your little kid could wear them, that would probably work.  (I wear child-size glasses. I’m not ashamed.)

WHAT I WANT OUT OF HEADPHONES: I’m a casual listener, not a serious audiophile or work in music, so I don’t the the absolute best headphones ever made, but I do appreciate good sound quality. Hence, I’d prefer $200 or less (would probably go up to 240 or so if necessary). I’ll be using them for a wide range of music and some video-watching.  I’m fine with on-ear or closed over-ear. (I chose on-ear because they tend to be cheaper and I don’t need noise-cancellation—noise-isolating is fine).  Also, since I have that small head I’d prefer not to look like they’re bigger than I am.  I’d like them to look decent, but am not a slave to fashion. Portability is a plus because I travel long-distance pretty often, but as long as they could fit in a backpack/large purse that should be okay.  I won’t be exercising in them, mostly sitting/walking around.

Side note: I hate earbuds. They tend to not have good sound, and all of them pop out of my ears.  I’ve also used the kind that curl around the ear, and they still usually hurt my ears inside. I haven’t tried in-ear yet because I’ve been so fed up with earbud styles not fitting, falling out, and having poor sound quality and my ears get tired when they’re stuck inside them for long periods of time.  That said, if someone knows of the absolutely perfect set of in-ear headphones that will make my dreams come true, by all means let me know.

Thanks for sticking through this extra-long plea for help!  Any ideas for me? 

Maybe Sennheiser Momentums might be better, or one of their ?

Mar 1, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #2 of 12
Hello,

I think Philips Downtown might do the trick for you. I bought them for my former girlfriend and she's still happy with them.
Here you have review, Tyll was very positive about them:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/philips-citiscape-downtown

I guess Beyerdynamic DTX501p should work great as well. It's not as stylish but I think it comes with a carrying case.

IEMs are the best option in terms of isolation, there are plenty of very good ones under 200, but opinions about comfort can vary quite a lot from person to person. The DUNU DN1000 is a very good IEM, more expensive than both DTX501p and Downtowns but superior in terms of sound quality.

Best Luck!

Mar 1, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #3 of 12
Try the Superlux HD330/HD660 first, see if that fits. They're surprisingly good for $40 if you don't nitpick with the sound. In my case, it wasn't just the sound, but also the fit - it was too tight on my head. Instead of wearing out the earpads as I wait for it to relax naturally over time I bent the top of the headband frame in the center, then reduced the bend angle on the gymbals (the metal parts that hold the earcups). I imagine this will not likely be a problem in your case.

Also you can use Beyerdynamic (original or replacement) earpds on these, so you can just look in Amazon or eBay when you need them down the road.

Mar 3, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #5 of 12
As someone also with a smallish head and glasses, I would suggest the Sennheiser Amperior. A great sturdy can for portability, with a very energetic sound signature. The clamp may be a little bit high, as I could only wear them for an hour or two, with glasses on, before having to give my ears a breather. Otherwise, I listened to the Beyerdynamic dt1350 and enjoyed those, although you would have to go used in order to find them for under 200. The momentums are still a good choice, especially since they are being discounted heavily right now making them a great bargain. 

Mar 4, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #6 of 12
Thanks for the suggestions, TheLeggo! (related to The Will and The Brand? sorry, Saga nerd-out!
biggrin.gif
)  Back to the headphones...those look like some great options.  I actually checked both of them out before getting the XS's, and they still look solid.
 The clamp may be a little bit high, as I could only wear them for an hour or two, with glasses on, before having to give my ears a breather

Yeah, the clamp on the XS's was also a bit tight & made my ears ache relatively fast, and the glasses pinching (which I thankfully don't wear all the time, but still) makes me wonder if I should save up for some over-ears, really.  Alas, I am poor.
rolleyes.gif

Beyers also looked like they would adjust smaller (longwise) than the Senns and lay a bit closer to the head as well (though I like that the Senns sound less likely to rip out my hairs). 

Thanks again!

Oh, any idea of how the Beyerdynamics T51P compare vs. DT1350? (and Amperior?)

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #7 of 12
I only heard the T51P and DT1350 at a canjam, so I don't really know details. Sadly, I owned the amperiors quite a while ago and only had them work around 2 weeks before deciding on ears don't work for me since I wear my glasses most of the time. Personally, over ears are the only thing that worked for me. I would suggest going to a bestbuy and trying out the sennheiser momentums over ears since they are being discounted and fit your price range. 

Apr 8, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #9 of 12
I have the same small head problem and am looking for the same things as you. I was wondering if any of the suggestions have worked out for you? I really like the look of the Sennheiser Momentums but am having trouble finding any feedback from other small domed people to know how they fit. I live in the middle of no where and have little opportunity to try sets on. I am trying to narrow down the options as much as possible to make it easier to get my hands on some to test out. I have only been able to try on some Beats and Bose at a Best Buy and all are too big just to give you a frame of reference. Also I am willing to spend a little more (less than $400) so if anyone as any other suggestions please let me know! 

Apr 9, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #10 of 12
My 4 year old daughter didn't seem to have any trouble with the Sennheiser Momentum.
Hope this helps.

Mar 26, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #11 of 12
Valentine (or anyone searching for this topic), it's been ages since my original post and your question, sorry! But just in case you're still looking, I did end up getting Sennheiser Momentums (1st gen. not 2nd) this year, and they fit like a dream (sound good too
wink.gif
of course)! They retract upward enough to make them small enough for my head vertically, and the earpads are the perfect size for my ears, unlike most people's (I can totally see how they'd be too small for most since they fit mine exactly but without extra room).

Incidentally, I got a good deal from Amazon Warehouse since they're not being made anymore, and they weren't damaged at all, but I would say if anyone is considering them, to get them and any replacement accessories ASAP.

Thanks to everyone here for your input!

Mar 27, 2017 at 6:30 AM Post #12 of 12
I also got the Sennheiser Momentums (2nd gen) after I posted here. They sounded great wired and not terrible in wireless mode and they fit my head perfectly. I will say that they pinched my head after wearing them for longer periods of time but I ended up stretching them a little which seemed to help. Unfortunately, they feel out of my bag at a coffee shop and were never seen again so I didn't even own them for a year. Thanks for the reply and I hope this helps anyone else searching for this topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back