Help please! PX 200 vs. others... recommendation
Aug 26, 2006 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

kwohy233

Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum, and really do not know anything about headphones... I would be ever so grateful if you could give me some advice.

I own a small Samsung yp-u1 mp3 player, and am looking for a pair of headphones which are more comfortable than the included ones, which hurt my ears quickly. I currently also own a pair of Sony mdr-g73sp, street style headphones but the plug has recently been falling apart, and they seem to sound equal or worse than the included earbud headphones that came with my player. I am looking for something that is affordable and portable, with better sound quality.

I have done some research and the ones in my price range (and available in New Zealand!) that I am considering at the moment are:

Sony mdr-g74sl

Sennheiser px-200 (Normally too expensive, but on special for this weekend)

Creative EP-630

Sennheiser cx-300

How would these compare in terms of sound quality with the mdr-g73sp?
And what level of outside noise blocking would i get with these headphones?
The PX 200 are on sale until Monday only so I would like to make up my mind by Monday.

I would really appreciate any help!!! Thank you very much in advance!!

Aug 26, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #4 of 51
It could superior to the cheapy sonys, but if you're unable to get a good seal, they will sound muffled and bassless...
Trust me, audition the px200, and then make your decision.

Aug 26, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #5 of 51
Wow! Thank you prototypex2 and retic3nt for the quick reply!

Currently I cannot listen to music while driving or on the bus, because it is so noisy... would I be able to listen with the px 200 without turning the volume up to dangerous levels?

Aug 26, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #7 of 51
the PX200's are definitely "try before you buy." if you can't get a good seal, you don't like them at all. as for blocking out bus noises, no they won't do that. they don't really isolate, more they take the edge off of background noise. still, better than completely open phones i suppose. the ep-630/cx300 would be better choices for this type of use, due to their superior isolation.

Aug 26, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #8 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by ERNEST T
I have the px 200 and px 100 and perfer the100,s for better sound. But both are good

My sentiments exactly. I have owned both, and the PX100 is, imo, the clear winner.

Aug 26, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #9 of 51
I have owned the PX100s for my portable rig for about six months, and have since given a pair to my Dad. I love them. He loves them. Comfortable, practical and the sound is superb.

Aug 26, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #10 of 51
Thank you everyone for your replies!!

Unfortunately the px 100 are not on sale, so they are about NZ$110 ($NZ1 about $US0.60), whereas the px 200 are on sale till monday for NZ$60.

If i was listening in a quiet room, which of ep-630 or px-200 or mdr-g74sl would provide the best sound quality?
(I listen to all sorts of music, mostly classical, acoustic, rock and blues)

Thank you very much!!!

Aug 26, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #11 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman
My sentiments exactly. I have owned both, and the PX100 is, imo, the clear winner.

I've owned both as well, and the PX200 sounds better to me. So it really depends on the person listening to them.
Out of the 3, I'd take the PX200, but if you're also looking for some isolation (as you stated about listening to music on bus), buy the CX300.

Good luck
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 26, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #13 of 51
I find the PX100's way to open for portable use when walking around the streets. The ambient noise is too loud making me turn up the volume too much. They are good in relatively quiet environments though. I haven't heard the PX200.

Aug 26, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #14 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwohy233
Thank you everyone for your replies!!

Unfortunately the px 100 are not on sale, so they are about NZ$110 ($NZ1 about $US0.60), whereas the px 200 are on sale till monday for NZ$60.

If i was listening in a quiet room, which of ep-630 or px-200 or mdr-g74sl would provide the best sound quality?
(I listen to all sorts of music, mostly classical, acoustic, rock and blues)

Thank you very much!!!

Wow.. that is a good price
But just try it first and see if it works for you
Either way, PX100s sounds better, it just a lot more open

Aug 26, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #15 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by retic3nt
I would get the PX200, I have that and the sony, the px200 sounds much better. You might not like the fit and comfort of the canalphones so I would get the px200 to be safe.

The sony sounds MUCH better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back