Help Please: Philips SHP9000 or Senn HD595?
Sep 18, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #17 of 45
Philips are DEFINITELY decent for their price. I've got the HP1000 and for what i paid for it it's darn brilliant. I have to say though... vocals on it sounds a bit artificial/robotic/strained at times and the construction is just (&#$()..... plus it's heavier and bulkier... HD595 on the other hand feels much better in my hands as well as on my head, plus you get the headphone hanger gadget which i absolutely adore. However, given that HUGE price difference... just get the philips. you can always buy the senn hanger (and/or an upgrade cable) separately

Sep 19, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #18 of 45
Sound and Music: most of us seem in agreement. The Philips are wonderful sounding, probably not durable. Be careful with them and you should be fine. If you need to consider resale, then "invest" in the Sennheiser. You already know what I did: I bought THREE sets of Philips and I'm still under budget. Maybe next year I'll be able to afford something extreme (for me) like AKG K701s but for now I'm very happy with each of my sets.

The HP890s continue to open up and the bloated murky bass is organizing itself nicely into something very pleasant.

The SHP9000s are just really lovely sounding headphones and I'm thinking they are the real gems in this bunch.

My SHP8900s are a bit chirpier than the other two. Using my Yaqin tube buffer between the CD player and headphone amp makes a warm difference.

I offer my opinions and observations with this caveat: I'm a middle-aged career musician. I've probably had my hearing "adjusted" by years of amplified performance, and I do listen to jazz mostly. Younger ears will undoubtedly have differing experiences.

Cheers to all
Don

Sep 20, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #20 of 45
To add to my obvious gluttony disguised as "research" I'm bought a set of Philips HP-910 on eBay in USA. They'll take a few weeks to arrive to me here in Australia and the shipping charge was actually $2 more than the price of the headphones here:

Philips High Definition Stereo Headphones - eBay Bluetooth, Headphones, Headsets, A V Accessories Cables, Electronics. (end time 26-Sep-08 01:43:00 AEST)

...making them more than the $80AUD I spent on my HP890s and right around the $100AUD mark at current exchange rates. This is the top end of what I'm willing to spend on mid-fi; as well, I can get Audio Technica ATH-AD500s on clearance here for $120AUD delivered.

I'm a "cheap thrills" kinda guy and though I really cannot live with bad sound, years as a muso has taught me that spending 10x more often only results in small improvements in sound. I think this is entirely true in the headphone world. Another thing 30 years of gigs has taught me is to always have a back-up and look to ways to get more out of the gear than the manufacturers had intended. Had I bought my coveted AKG K701s with the $$$ I had, I'd have no back-up and the amps I have (Classic 10.0 and Meier Corda Arietta) would probably have let the side down pushing my further down the slope of up-grade-itis. These earlier Philips were designed well before DACs, tube amp and buffers were popular hence WE can now get much more from them than earlier users.

I'll get back in the fray here soon with info on my new HP910s and thanks go to DefectiveAudioComponent for steering me towards the 890s and 910.

Sep 20, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #21 of 45
This might be futile seeing as this thread as gone to the side of the Philips, but I do own a pair of Sennheiser 595's and I recommend you not purchasing them with such a price discrepancy. Spending that much for them really begs the question of not spending more to buy even better, because I do not feel they are worth that much... I paid $185 for mines and I feel like I overpaid.

Good Luck!

Sep 20, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #22 of 45
That is REALLY good info AYEBOOBOO. I'm all for people being upfront with value issues and you've come through though sadly at your own expense. Resale on the 595s will be decent; maybe consider a lovely set of Philips....

Sep 20, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #23 of 45
These first hand experiences prove that Philips is the right choice both sound and money wise.

And the model 9000 is the best among the current Philips range available in the market...

It shows that good sound is not the perogative of the so-called up-market "audiophile" brands and companies.

more comments keep coming in...

Sep 20, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #24 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by ddoingwell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll get back in the fray here soon with info on my new HP910s and thanks go to DefectiveAudioComponent for steering me towards the 890s and 910.

It will be interesting to see what you think about them. I think they complement each other well. What the 890 emphasizes, the 910 plays down and vice versa. But that's just what I hear with my setup. Also, how you think they compare to the newer models. I find the 910 to be extremely comfortable.

Sep 22, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #25 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by sound and music /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These first hand experiences prove that Philips is the right choice both sound and money wise.

And the model 9000 is the best among the current Philips range available in the market...

It shows that good sound is not the perogative of the so-called up-market "audiophile" brands and companies.

more comments keep coming in...

Once you get to a certain quality level, IMO, when you're listening the phone, you can usually hear some difference. Not good or bad, just different.

But once you're start listening to the music, there is no difference. Unfortunately sometimes the "gadget" side of the brain itches, and I have to get a new equipment. Of course, the rational side of the brain will have to find some difference to justify the purchase. At least, that's how I got a roomful of stuffs.

Sep 23, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #26 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But once you're start listening to the music, there is no difference. .

Quite the other way around. It's only when the music is playing that the important differences reveal themselves.

Sep 23, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #27 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by ddoingwell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For reference sake and just to see if I'm totally potty or accurate in my assessments, I've ordered a set of Denon 1001s and have bid on Sony MDR-V6s & Sennheiser HD555s on eBay. As I said, I'll post reviews AND prepare myself for the caning I'm likely to receive from the "elitists".

Don

Pretty intriguing thread! ddoingwell, I'm looking forward to you receiving the d1001s and hopefully the hd555s as well, as I am an owner of both models.

Man, those Philips phones are cheap on ebay! Makes me want to get a pair, but I already have 2 mid-fi phones
frown.gif

As for the hd555s, I'm finding less and less uses for these after recabling the Denons. The Denons are simply superior now. The only time I really use the 555s anymore is when I watch movies from my bed (because of its longer cord), or when the ambient temp is a bit too hot for the Denons, and very rarely when I listen to acoustic and sometimes rock, when I really want to listen to just the guitars, as the HD555 still does mids better.

I've loved and appreciated the Senns for a couple of years now, but I'm definitely beginning to find it significantly lacking for the price for my SQ needs (although it may be unfair to compare it to the $81 d1001s, which I believe is one of the best, if not THE best bang for the buck headphone deals out there, especially after recable and burn-in). I paid $95US shipped for the HD555 in 2006. Am I bang-for-the-buck spoiled?

Maybe you will prove me wrong
smily_headphones1.gif

OP, please excuse me for straying off topic, however the HD555s are said to have a very similar sound to the HD595s so hopefully this will still help a bit.

Sep 23, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #28 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quite the other way around. It's only when the music is playing that the important differences reveal themselves.

That have not been my experience. Occasionally, when I am listening for certain difference or detail, I have to write down the time of the occurrence. Because if I'm too involved with the music, I lost the focus. I remember one time I was listening to Paul Winter's Whale alive for the sound stage (speakers) and it was so good that I drifted off almost fell asleep.

I think we're off topic here. But listening experience should be an interesting thread.

BTW, what volume level do you use when you are listening to music vs evaluating equipment? Live, background. I listen at a lower volume so I tend to favor bass heavy headphones.

Sep 26, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #29 of 45
I usually do not have a special headphone-test volume.

Right now, I am enjoying some Apoptygma Berzerk throgh the HP890. They really excel with this kind of music right from the mac book pro headphone out, and as usual the strong subwoofer bass works wonders also at low volumes.

Sep 28, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #30 of 45
OK lads. The month of "research" is all done. The SHP9000s are really lovely and do not seem to be giving any impressions of falling apart. I listen to them every night and really am happy to do so. Not only that but the prices are dropping FAST here in AUS; Philips is closing down some of it's operation here and the prices of all their products except shavers seem widely discounted. I picked up a second set of SHP9000s for $60AUD delivered that will just go into the closet for a rainy day. I'm guessing there will be heaps of the 9000s available that that price point, or less, leading up to Christmas.

I did get the Denon 1001s and returned them. Lovely headphones but the closed aspect and the sound just weren't for me. A bit too thumpy right out of the box. Really good build quality. Never went through with the purchase of the Sennheiser HD555s and I'm glad. I spent an hour in a shop with them and could not find any reason to buy them. None. I have bought some Sony MDR-V6s for studio work though and they are still in transit.

Here's the next phase though: my WIFE has declared that she wants to buy me a set of AKG K501s for Christmas. We saw them on clearance at a local shop. I think she might be feeling a bit guilty for poaching my Meier Corda Arietta for her painting studio system. I'm in the hunt for a good amp for them and have had to endure the usual head-fi elite commentary suggesting that I will be unable to get a decent amp for the $$$ I have ect. Bollocks Perhaps it's time I started another thread...

SO Sound and Music: WHAT DID YOU BUY??????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back