!HELP! PLEASE kawai es3 AND ath ad700 good match?
Aug 23, 2009 at 4:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

wmute

New Head-Fier
I am a major noob. I was looking to buy some headphones for my gf to practice on her kawai es3 (only concert piano setting - or grand piano- whatever it's called) setting.

After reading a few threads I ordered the Audio Technica ATH AD 700. But now after reading more I am worried about the lack of bass. I read about the ninja fitting techniques (elastic band, bending the top) which yield better fit and hence better bass but I am still worried

I have time until tomorrow to cancel the order and get one of the following two instead (obviously budget -but not only that- was the consideration)

Ultrasone hfi 450 (read here about good quality for piano sound)

AKG K240 (worried about relative discomfort lamented on these boards)

ATH A700 (from what I gather closed=more bass?, but AD 700 beter sound)

Please help, with the specific use (electric piano) in mind. I chose the AD 700 for comfort, and the enthusiastic reviews. I am now worried that the bass would not be good for her practicing.

THANKS A LOT TO WHOEVER WILL COME IN MY HELP!!!!! GOOD KARMA TO YOU ALL.

Hope to hear from someone soon, I am really worried of having picked the wrong headphones for my beloved one.

Aug 23, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks! I never played piano myself so I don't really know...

I know the bass from the built in speaker was not satisfactory, hoepfully the headphones should be enough to beat that by some.

I wonder if the Kawai has enough of an amplifier to make the bass satisfactory. If it does not cut it, I will get her a cheap amp.

Also, it just downed on me that girls care about their hairstyle (certainly more than I do, and maybe not so much when they play piano with fury). I hope the AD 700 are not particularly bad from that point of view

Aug 23, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #4 of 6
Hi maybe you came acros my thread I made a while back where i was in the same situation as you. I was mostly recomended the ath-ad700.

Here is what I have tried with my my Kawai CN3 so far

Ath-ad700, ath-m50, sennheiser HD555, Alesandro MS1, grado sr60i, ultrasone hfi-550, ultrasone proline 650, ultrasone proline 2500,

My Faves are the ultrasone proline 650 and 2500 then the alessandros and grados

I noticed that wth the other phones bass notes where too muddy and didnt have as good definition.

keep in mind though that the built in hp amps might be diferent in our pianos so what works for me might not necesarily work for you. good luck

Aug 23, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawai_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi maybe you came acros my thread I made a while back where i was in the same situation as you. I was mostly recomended the ath-ad700.

Here is what I have tried with my my Kawai CN3 so far

Ath-ad700, ath-m50, sennheiser HD555, Alesandro MS1, grado sr60i, ultrasone hfi-550, ultrasone proline 650, ultrasone proline 2500,

My Faves are the ultrasone proline 650 and 2500 then the alessandros and grados

I noticed that wth the other phones bass notes where too muddy and didnt have as good definition.

keep in mind though that the built in hp amps might be diferent in our pianos so what works for me might not necesarily work for you. good luck

Thanks! I am now considering switching to the Grados, which are a similar budget I can also have shipped just as fast, but it seems like they are a less comfy. Do you play the 'piano' setting or do you use the other instruments too? my concern is only piano and that the bass is not so lacking that she starts compensating and plays left hand heavy.

Aug 23, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #6 of 6
When I record, my monitor is always a Beyerdynamic DT770. It's crazy sturdy, quite comfy, and puts out good lower bass. If she's just practicing at home, that's plenty enough IMO. Audio Technicas (as much as I love them) just aren't quite as sturdy, and she probably won't baby them. Also, don't worry about bass levels affecting practicing, if she's played for more than 2 days, she'll adjust her weighting based on her ears. Most musicians don't carry around their own monitor headphones when they record/perform, they just use what's given to them and adjust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back