Help please, I don't know which Over-Ear headphones below $ 200 to buy
Oct 19, 2019 at 6:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Galeonero

100+ Head-Fier
Hello people of the forum, I am a new audiophile in this whole world of Hi-Fi.

I currently have a Fiio F9 PRO and a Bluetooth DAC / AMP, the Shanling Up2, I am very happy with both products.
Now I want to buy some Over-ear headphones for those moments where one is already tired of using some in-ear and want something bigger, comfortable ..
A few months ago I had some headphones of the Audio Technnica brand, the specific model was the M40X, I hate them a lot, I didn't like it for several things:
1. The comfort was very bad, the pads were very thin, they made me sweat a lot, the headband was hard and thin, I could not have more than 1 hour on because my head hurt.

2. The materials did not convince me, I found plastic of poor quality and treated them very carefully, I do not say that the headphones have to be treated badly and thrown anywhere, but they needed a lot of "love".

3. I did not like the sound, I did not test them with the Shanling Up2, I tested them with my notebook and with a DAC / AMP the Hidizs Sonata HD 2, I really did not like it, it felt very tiring. In no way is it because I had a lot of volume, because these headphones were 35 ohms and my F9 PRO are 28 ohms, I used them in the same volume as the F9 PRO, so the sound would have to be heard less loudly . The sound seemed extremely boring, I might not like the flat sound and I like the sound of the f9 pro that is more "warm".

I would like some good over-ear headphones, below 200 dollars, I want them to have:
1. A lot of comfort
2. Interchangeable Cable, in case you had an accident.
3. Sound different from the ATH-M40x, I would say that I like the medium frequencies, I like to hear the voices.
4. Wired
5. Closed
6. It does not have to be yes or yes 200, if it is smaller better

My use: Most of all music, I listen to Queen, Maroon 5, Latinos, Lady Gaga, AC / DC, etc. And of course cinema and sometimes games, but it is not the main thing, in fact I prefer that they be more for music.

I was currently seeing headphones but I have no idea what to choose, I was watching and I thought about the V-moda crossfade wireless that are in 98 dollars in amazon, I know they are bluetooth headphones and I am looking for with cable, but from what I read they are the m -100 bluetooth facts, with the same sound.
I was also watching the DT 770 PRO but the cable is not interchangeable but its reviews scream comfort.

The truth is that I am lost, if you could help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #2 of 25
If you want comfort I can vouch for the 770s, however I was not completely 100% in love with the sound, however I think I may not be powering them properly. Unfortunately the 770/880/990s all have an attached cable, fixable of course with a mod.

I don't know if you are looking at closed vs open, but there are the AKG 7XX and HE 4XX both get good reviews and under 200, but I haven't heard them.

Obviously there is the 50X but it might be similar too similar in sound to the M40X. They improved in comfort with velour pads however the bass took a little hit.

GL!

Oct 19, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 25
If you want comfort I can vouch for the 770s, however I was not completely 100% in love with the sound, however I think I may not be powering them properly. Unfortunately the 770/880/990s all have an attached cable, fixable of course with a mod.

I don't know if you are looking at closed vs open, but there are the AKG 7XX and HE 4XX both get good reviews and under 200, but I haven't heard them.

Obviously there is the 50X but it might be similar too similar in sound to the M40X. They improved in comfort with velour pads however the bass took a little hit.

GL!
Hi, thank you very much for your response.
If that was watching, I saw several videos on YouTube that put a female record of what you want in the headset and BAM! You have headphones with interchangeable cable. Luckily I can do that, since I come from a secondary in technical eletronico.

I forgot to clarify, they have to be closed. And tmb I was considering the Meze 99 Neo, but they seem very big

And I forgot, I had also done that, I bought a M50X headband and put it on the M40X, I was equally uncomfortable.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #4 of 25
I have two suggestions for you to look into: Koss Porta Pro with Yaxi pads for $50 total (+ any import cost) and the Sennheiser HD58X ~$160 (+ any import cost.) The Koss Porta Pro are on ears and attached cables, but VERY comfortable with the Yaxi pads (as comfortable or moreso than the HD58X)... vocals are more forward and fuller than on the HD58X, more like the HD6XX. Low end is absolutely beautifully impactful and warm, not the most precise but still very controlled. Treble is detailed and present, never sharp or sibilant. Overall a very warm and smooth sounding headphone with great low end and absolutely lovely vocals. HD58X is very similar, but more balanced overall with less low end presence (but a little punchier) and little better treble resolution and sparkle. Less warm sounding, but still smooth and more precise and detailed sounding overall compared to the Porta Pros. Both are great for gaming and movies, but the HD58X is definitely better in regards to separation and 3D presentation of sound. I'd take the $40 Porta Pros over any sub $200 headphone... and convert them to detachable cable once the cable develops any issue.

Both are great if you are looking for a non-fatiguing, comfortable headphone that gives smooth, dynamic sound with very good mids. Porta Pros with Yaxi pads have more forward and filled out mids while the HD58X has the better treble. My preference is Porta Pros with Yaxi pads over the HD58X...have to mod the HD58X to get where I'd possibly take it over the Porta Pros with Yaxi pads - and the modding needed DOUBLES the cost of the HD58X... and it still doesn't have the mid presentation of the Porta Pro's with Yaxi pads.

Oct 19, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #5 of 25
I forgot to clarify, they have to be closed.

That's going to make things very difficult to recommend... a closed back with great mids/vocals, dynamic and punchy sound, and under $200...

I have no experience with such things, open-backs are the only things I have experience with at that price level.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #6 of 25
Sony MDR-1AM2. Comfort for days, fun, in your face sound signature. I love mine and use them for 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week at work. They can be powered with a potato and sound great. I highly recommend them.

Oct 20, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #7 of 25
That's going to make things very difficult to recommend... a closed back with great mids/vocals, dynamic and punchy sound, and under $200...

I have no experience with such things, open-backs are the only things I have experience with at that price level.
Massdrop Meze 99 Noir if you can source it. Great mids, dynamic and punchy.

Oct 20, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #8 of 25
I have two suggestions for you to look into: Koss Porta Pro with Yaxi pads for $50 total (+ any import cost) and the Sennheiser HD58X ~$160 (+ any import cost.) The Koss Porta Pro are on ears and attached cables, but VERY comfortable with the Yaxi pads (as comfortable or moreso than the HD58X)... vocals are more forward and fuller than on the HD58X, more like the HD6XX. Low end is absolutely beautifully impactful and warm, not the most precise but still very controlled. Treble is detailed and present, never sharp or sibilant. Overall a very warm and smooth sounding headphone with great low end and absolutely lovely vocals. HD58X is very similar, but more balanced overall with less low end presence (but a little punchier) and little better treble resolution and sparkle. Less warm sounding, but still smooth and more precise and detailed sounding overall compared to the Porta Pros. Both are great for gaming and movies, but the HD58X is definitely better in regards to separation and 3D presentation of sound. I'd take the $40 Porta Pros over any sub $200 headphone... and convert them to detachable cable once the cable develops any issue.

Both are great if you are looking for a non-fatiguing, comfortable headphone that gives smooth, dynamic sound with very good mids. Porta Pros with Yaxi pads have more forward and filled out mids while the HD58X has the better treble. My preference is Porta Pros with Yaxi pads over the HD58X...have to mod the HD58X to get where I'd possibly take it over the Porta Pros with Yaxi pads - and the modding needed DOUBLES the cost of the HD58X... and it still doesn't have the mid presentation of the Porta Pro's with Yaxi pads.
Hello, I really do not like the on-ear and the open at all, the on-ear makes my ears hurt.

Oct 20, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #10 of 25
Hello, I really do not like the on-ear and the open at all, the on-ear makes my ears hurt.

Porta Pro with Yaxi pads are unlike most on-ears, they are more comfortable than many full sized over-ears to me. Light, low clamp with soft and breatheable sponge pads. Almost as comfortable as Sennheiser HD58X with Yaxi Alcantara pads which are noticeably more comfortable than the stock HD58X pads. Porta Pros with Yaxi pads have bass that kicks like a Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart but forward soulful mids like a Sennheiser HD6XX. Fine if you don't particularly like on ears, but I'd encourage you to at least try them if you ever get a chance.

Oct 20, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #11 of 25
The 99s aren't really that big. It's just the headband that can be a little bulky. I get not wanting to wear them in public. Check out the Audio Technica Ath-Msr7b.

Oct 20, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #12 of 25
Hello, it is surely the best option for that price, I wanted something a little smaller, those headphones seem very big. I wanted something more bearable in case one day I wanted to go on the train with over-ear headphones

Anything smaller than the Meze would be treading into on-ear territory. I had thought about recommending the 1-More Triple Driver, they are great closed back for the price and very compact - but their flaw is they are really on-ears and not that comfortable for listening more than a half hour.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #13 of 25
Porta Pro with Yaxi pads are unlike most on-ears, they are more comfortable than many full sized over-ears to me. Light, low clamp with soft and breatheable sponge pads. Almost as comfortable as Sennheiser HD58X with Yaxi Alcantara pads which are noticeably more comfortable than the stock HD58X pads. Porta Pros with Yaxi pads have bass that kicks like a Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart but forward soulful mids like a Sennheiser HD6XX. Fine if you don't particularly like on ears, but I'd encourage you to at least try them if you ever get a chance.
OP said he wanted portable closed backs. Otherwise, I'd recommend the 58X in a heartbeat.

Oct 20, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #15 of 25
Meze 99’s for the price and they are not big at all as others have said nice bass and mids with just a little roll off on the highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back