Help Please guys...my Grados are vibrating...
Jan 15, 2008 at 4:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

pez

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm not sure exactly when it started happening, but I've been using my Grado's for PC Games and Music. But...., now there is something vibrating/rattling around inside of the left ear cabinet and it's irritating the crap out of me and I'm scared to death of taking these apart. I've taken care of these things like they're my life...any suggestions of what I need to do. I hope this isn't a defect and I have to send them back
frown.gif
, It would be a long time without them. Any other solutions before I contact Grado?

Jan 15, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #2 of 18
Sounds like you have the famous grado "grattle" Usually a hair stick in the driver area rattling around. See if you can blow/suck it out of there.

Jan 15, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like you have the famous grado "grattle" Usually a hair stick in the driver area rattling around. See if you can blow/suck it out of there.

You know, if I hadn't tried this before I'd seen this, I would think you were making fun of me :p. But I saw this article/steps to fix it site: HeadWize - Project: The Collected Grado Headphone Mods by "Skippy" et al. and I saw they took it apart and used tape to take out the "wrinkle", so I thought what if I just blow very lightly and I heard a tinfoil like sound and just stopped, but when I put them back on no more rattle, but I'll have to keep listening to see if I hear it again, that scared me for a minute their
biggrin.gif
, thanks guys for the help....would compressed air ruin it, I thought of that and just thought I should blow it before I use air pressure?

Jan 15, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #5 of 18
I have this same problem and I am pretty certain it is a hair since the noise comes and goes... But how does one disassemble the phones to get at the front of the drivers? Every tutorial I've seen only opens that back half of the enclosure.

Jan 15, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #6 of 18
I would say take off the pad and slightly, not hard at all as you wouldn't want to bust the diaphragm, and just lightly blow and if that doesn't work, than I don't know what to tell you...and it's starting to come back...it might be a hair, because it does seem to kind of come and go...oh noes it's getting worse
frown.gif

Jan 15, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #7 of 18
hehe, they stopped after another good blow
wink.gif
, My Grado's are emo :/
biggrin.gif
frown.gif

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez
another good blow
wink.gif

LMAO
biggrin.gif

You need to blow a little harder and faster, I had the same problem on my ES7. IIANM, it was the left cup too (WTH is it always the left cup? Many peeps have the problem on the left cup). Don't worry, I don't think we are Superman and can destroy the driver by blowing on it.
wink.gif

Just don't OVERDO it and huff and puff like the big bad wolf until your face becomes red and puffy etc...

Jan 15, 2008 at 8:05 AM Post #9 of 18
I started shaving my head to get rid of "grattle". Well, that and I started to rapidly go bald.
tongue.gif

Jan 15, 2008 at 12:40 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrecked_porsche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LMAO
biggrin.gif

.. (WTH is it always the left cup? Many peeps have the problem on the left cup)....
[/i]

Conspiracy I say !! Got the MS-1s and you will not believe in which earcup I had the same problem !
wink.gif

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I started shaving my head to get rid of "grattle". Well, that and I started to rapidly go bald.
tongue.gif

lol, i love it^...they should make a help thread in the forum (if their is, than I'm too special to realize it, and we should make this a sticky. BTW, these SR60's sound fantastic, and I've been listening to Rage Against the Machine (hence the bass lines and hard thumping bass drum) to make sure I got it, I apparently did, and they make RATM sing...

Jan 16, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #15 of 18
Blowing usually just dislodges the hair so that the grattle will come back again later. You need to suck the hair out. Make sure you only suck gently and not cover the whole thing with your mouth or you'll damage the driver. It helps if you place the rear of the offending earpiece on a piece of paper (which in turn is flat on a table) and apply some downward pressure. That will reduce the chances of something going wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back