Help please! Electrical noise through my speakers
Mar 18, 2009 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

The-One

500+ Head-Fier
Hi there:

I have electrical noises from my speakers constantly (pops & screeches that get worse when I move my mouse or scroll in a brower window.

I am currently using

Laptop --(USB)--> USB DAC --(RCA)--> Active Monitors

I've determined the source of the noise is when my laptop is plugged into to the mains. On battery there is also some electrical noise, but I have to everything to maximum to hear it.

If I just let my laptop run on it's battery, then the problem is gone (or if I disconnect the USB cable). But that's not viable, least of all because my battery is screwed and only runs for 5mins without being plugged in.

It's nothing to do with with where the laptop is plugged into or the cables I'm using. the problem is the power on my laptop. though I dont' think it's a ground loop because there is no 50hz hum.

What can I do?? (I live in the UK, so my electricity wont' be USA versions)

Thanks for reading

Mar 24, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #2 of 5
dissappointing to have received no replies at all...

for reference to any future members who have this problem and live in the UK, I've just ordered

120W Universal AC Power Supply +USB Laptop iPod Mobile! on eBay, also Standard AC Power Supplies, Power Supplies, Laptop Accessories, Computing (end time 22-Apr-09 10:41:27 BST)

The above is a Double Insulated replacement PSU for laptops which do not use Earth in it's wiring as it uses a Figure of 8 connector ie 2 pin. Rather than the usual 3 pin with a earth pin.

This should get rid of any humming and electrical noise because I briefly lifted the ground on my current PSU at AC by covering the sides of the earth metal pin with PVC insulating tape bought at Wilkinsons for 19p and all the problems were gone.

However, that's probably not safe and I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that all the time, hence I've spent a more buying a double insulated psu.

Will bump when I receive the unit. But it'll almost certain work having been featured in Dec 2008 of Sound On Sound magazine in "PC notes" feature.

Hope this will be of help

Nov 2, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
120W Universal AC Power Supply +USB Laptop iPod Mobile! on eBay, also Standard AC Power Supplies, Power Supplies, Laptop Accessories, Computing (end time 22-Apr-09 10:41:27 BST)

The above is a Double Insulated replacement PSU for laptops which do not use Earth in it's wiring as it uses a Figure of 8 connector ie 2 pin. Rather than the usual 3 pin with a earth pin.

This should get rid of any humming and electrical noise because I briefly lifted the ground on my current PSU at AC by covering the sides of the earth metal pin with PVC insulating tape bought at Wilkinsons for 19p and all the problems were gone.

However, that's probably not safe and I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that all the time, hence I've spent a more buying a double insulated psu.

sorry to resurrect this but i cant find any help about this either through searching, except for the usual inconclusive responses, where the starter eventually abandons it after it branches off into an advanced engineering discussion.  anyways the item you linked too is not on ebay anymore, are those standard features in a universal 120w ac adapter, or do i have to look harder?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back