Help Please(?)...Computer Audio 101 Assistance...
May 31, 2013 at 9:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Synergist969

100+ Head-Fier
  To whom it may concern/To all who wish to help:

I am a longtime audiophile, relatively recent headphonephile, and painfully behind the curve knowledge-wise with regard to computer based audio...but strongly desire to learn and apply that which I learn...as such, I am requesting assistance/advice as to where to look/learn, etc., as well as specific suggestions regarding how to create a partial if not fully computer-based audio system...from the ground-up if necessary, including  both hardware and software.  I do have 300+ Cd's that I would like to archive/access on a hard-drive, as well as continue to access on-line audio feeds, as well as download high resolution audio tracks.  That said...   

I own a December 2012 vintage Lenovo 530 Thinkpad running Window's 8, along with a "dying" 10 year old generic desk-top PC running Windows XP, with which I access a few Internet based on-line music feeds. 

At this point, the only reason to continue to keep/use the desk-top PC, (aside from personal files as yet not downloaded to a Western Digital external hard drive), is that it has an Asus Xonar Essence PCI sound card installed, with which I feed Sennheiser RS180 wireless headphones, through which I feed my "serious" dedicated stereo system via decent single ended interconnects(RCA's)... 

Along with the aforementioned equipment, I own the Schiit Audio Modi and Magni D/A converter/headphone amp system, along with the Schiit Audio Bifrost D/A converter, as well as both their Asgard 2 and Lyr headphone amps, currently driving Sennheiser HD 650's...all fed via my stereo system inputs/outputs... 

Thus far, I have used the Lenovo Lap-top, Modi/Magni combination via USB 2 to drive a pair of V-Moda M-100 headphones, accessing on-line feeds as well as playing Cd's..., as well as the aforementioned "dying" desk-top stereo system. 

Ultimately, I would like to create a solid, reliable, "relatively" simple, integrated computer-based audio system, possibly/probably(?) desk-top computer based, with the option of also utilizing my lap-top when necessary.

Sorry for all the rambling...too many ideas for me to convey succinctly...

So, where do I start in terms of forum threads, educational/tutorial(?) sites, or specific advice/suggestions regarding hardware and software? 

Any and all well meant advice will be very much appreciated, so, thank you all in advance!

Sincerely,
  T.A. Kogstrom  

P.S.  With regard to a music library program, I primarily listen to "classical" music, (10th century through 21st, be it solo, small ensenble, or large, mixed ensembles), and wonder which program might best suit my needs.                  

May 31, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #2 of 9
  To whomever wishes to assist:

Anyone with any advice?  Anything?  Perhaps only attempt to answer one part of the equation...I don't need anyone to necessarily answer all of my questions...

Sincerely,
  T.A. Kogstrom

Jun 1, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #3 of 9
To whom may be reading:  

Oh, I wanted to add that I currently run WinAmp with both my Windows XP based desk-top and my Windows 8 based lap-top...

Will this product be compatible with suggested music libraries, or is there something better out there?

Thank you,
T.A.Kogstrom  

Jun 1, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #4 of 9
What I personally would do since you have all that "Schiit" already is pick up a new desktop, something small and quiet such as a MacMini or similar sized PC. An external HD or two for your music collection and backup. Foobar2000 for the PC, Fidelia or similar for OSX if you choose to go that way. :D

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Jun 1, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #5 of 9
Yes, you'll definitely want to rip your CD collection to flac for archiving/listening purposes on a computer. EAC is the free software that is available that does that very well. Because ripping a 300 CD collection will definitely put some wear on a CD drive, I would not use your built-in laptop drive to do that.

There are a lot of options. I would suggest reading and talking to the guys in the AVS networking streaming forum: http://www.avsforum.com/f/39/networking-media-servers-content-streaming.

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #6 of 9
Nice thread link cel4145, a lot of good information in there to do exactly what the OP wants to do.

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #7 of 9
Nice thread link cel4145, a lot of good information in there to do exactly what the OP wants to do.

Yeah. They are really active over there, too, so it can be as helpful as researching about headphones in the headphone forum here on Head-Fi. They also have a good HTPC forum if the OP wants to go that route: http://www.avsforum.com/f/26/home-theater-computers. Not a bad idea if one wants to do both networking streaming and have direct media content access in your living room. Just so many choices now for a home network media streaming setup.

Jun 1, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #8 of 9
  To those of you who responded:

Thank you so much for your interest and advice/assistance, it is very much appreciated.  I look forward to continued research and applying that which I have learned!...

Regarding archiving my CD collection, as it has been suggested that that would be an undue stress on my lap-top's indwelling CD player, so, do you suggest purchasing an external, USB connection based CD player, connecting it to the Lap-top, and using THAT player to archive the CD's? 

Thank you,
  T.A.Kogstrom

P.S.  Foobar2000...?...I will look into it...     

Jun 1, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #9 of 9
Yes. If you plan on using your laptop, get a USB CD drive for ripping your collection.

I build my own PC desktops. The CD drives are really easy to change out and cost around $20. If your CD drive is easy to change out on your old desktop (in case of failure)maybe you could let it be your ripping station. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back