Help Please: cdp/sb3/computer?
Jul 18, 2006 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ak622

500+ Head-Fier
Hi fellow Head-fi'ers...

I guess I should give a little back ground info.. I have been using my laptop as my source connected to the USB DAC of the Dared MP5 playing FLAC files. I have been thinking of getting a dedicated CD Player in the $500US range recently since I want to move my laptop into my bedroom and pick up either a Rega Planet, Arcam CD73, Eastsound E5, etc. I do have a CA 640C but that connected to my speaker rig and not in the same room so I can't use that. Anyways, last night my laptop went on me so in the mean time I will probably hook it up to my desktop which stores my FLAC files.

So I'm in seek of some help here.. Could anyone please give me the pros and cons of the following options?

1) Stick with using my desktop. ($0)

2) Buy a CD Player. ($500)

3) Buy a Squeezebox. ($300)

Thanks in advance!
Andrew

Jul 18, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 7
Just to get started... my $0.02... others will disagree....

Quote:

Originally Posted by ak622
1) Stick with using my desktop. ($0)

Pros:
- The price
- Sound quality (tho not sure how well the Dared USB input works?)
- IMO, PC is the future of audio, so stick with this until you get the cash to make a dedicated, silent and fast audio PC (Pentium-M etc)
- You already have your FLAC's, so why not stay on the PC-audio path.

Cons:
- Desktops are generally NOISY. Silencing them is a huge PITA.
- Do you really want an ugly desktop next to your lovely looking Dared?
- PC audio is less tactile than CDs and vinyl....

Quote:

2) Buy a CD Player. ($500)

Pros:
- Simple.
- Good sound quality, though how about getting a cheaper universal DVD-SACD player and doing some mods?

Cons:
- CD players are obsolete.
- Piles of CDs everywhere. No custom playlists....

Quote:

3) Buy a Squeezebox. ($300)

Pros:
- They look very nice and neat
- Very easy to use
- you can use your flacs
- has a remote
- by all accounts sound quality seems to be good (tho haven't heard one myself) and can benefit from cheap mods, like a better PSU.
- you can install other units in other rooms, cheaper than buying a new PC for each room.

cons:
- With flacs, you may (????) need to install network cable between it and the PC, as not sure if the wireless version has the bandwith for lossless.
- mid-fi sound quality without mods?

food for thought.

Jul 18, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by stefan
cons:
- With flacs, you may (????) need to install network cable between it and the PC, as not sure if the wireless version has the bandwith for lossless.

FLAC gets streamed through 802.11b without a hitch. With that being said, 802.11g is flawless.

Jul 19, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #4 of 7
SB3 has a really small screen. Navigating around can be a pain for some ppl. Wireless is only stable depending on external environment factors. My friend got a SB3 and he found out whenever his mum talk on the cordless, things start screwing up. But if u have good environment and dont mind the navigation issues. SB3 is the way!

Jul 19, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #5 of 7
I would go SB3 and when you have the budget, you can even improve by having it modded by RedWineAudio or Bolder.

I currently use a modded RWA SB2 and I also have 2 CD players (Arcam CD23T and Rotel 855), a DAC (Paradisea) and used to use my laptop via a HagUSB. The SB is convenient and nice to use that I don't see how I could ever go backwards. Sure mine is modded so its sound quality is really really good. My Arcam CDP is probably higher end then your current 640C and I tell you, the modded SB output digital into my Paradisea DAC is on par with my CDP on most albums. If you didn't already have a CDP in the house then maybe you should consider getting one but since you already have a decent one, I would definitely consider the SB.

By the way, my files are all .wav and it goes fine with wireless to the SB. If you don't have issues with wireless in your house, the SB will work fine as well, either flac or even wav which are twice the size. If you already have wireless problems with your computers then the SB will certainly not do miracles, you'll have to connect it with ethernet cable.

Hope this helps.

Jul 19, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for the responses!

Well right now I have it hooked up to my desktop and its working well. My desktop has been made silent with quiet case and cpu fans so noise is quite minimal.

My wireless network is great so that is not a concern if I do go the SB route. I can also have it wired to the router as well so if need be so transmission of FLAC files should not be a problem. This sounds like a good upgrade route since I can have it modded or purchase a new DAC after.

I guess there isn't much responses for CDP so far. I guess a reason to get a CDP is because I do buy CDs and after I rip them, they tend to sit there unless I use my speaker rig. I feel that I should give the disc more play time but it seems like the SB3 is a better route to take from the responses here...

Jul 20, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

I guess there isn't much responses for CDP so far. I guess a reason to get a CDP is because I do buy CDs and after I rip them, they tend to sit there unless I use my speaker rig. I feel that I should give the disc more play time but it seems like the SB3 is a better route to take from the responses here...

Andrew, I would just say "it seems like the SB is the better route considering your needs and budget". If you had a budget upwards of $2k to spend, I think my answer would have been different. I would probably have suggested to sell your 640C and get a CDP plus a stock SB. Since you are talking about $500, I would get a stock SB and upgrade later with mods to the SB and/or an external DAC. A $500 CDP will not give you much sound quality unless you are very lucky on a high end used model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back