Help please! - < $500 DAC/amp suggestions
Apr 26, 2010 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

tennisplyr3

100+ Head-Fier
After doing extensive reading, I've decided to go for a desktop DAC/amp bundle for superior sound quality and driving power.

I'm hesitant to get something that is FOTM and rather get something that is more established. However, the only ones that I stumbled across were the Nuforce uDAC, Nuforce HDP, Audio-GD FUN, Audinst HUD-MX1, and the ZERO.

I've also heard that the Audio-GD Sparrow is coming out in the future and am curious about it. Are these amps that I listed sure to blow any portable amps (D4, pico, predator, arrow, etc) out of the water? One person posted that he smelled something burning coming from his HDP (qc issues?), so I'm wary of getting one. Also, the FUN is pretty big (9.45" x 2.76" x 10.24" without feet). I want to be able to transport it between work and home, as it will be my only "rig." I'm *leaning* towards the MX1 at the moment, but if I spend my entire budget, would I get the most bang for my buck?

Should I split the DAC/amp combo and get separate ones? My reasons for something compact and all-in-one are
1. limited desk space
2. frequent transporting between work and home
3. minimizes the need for high quality IC cables (expensve).

...But the Matrix M-Stage looks pretty appealing to me.

Which one should I get? Would the stock power supply be okay, or is a linear power supply essential? Should I wait for impressions on the Sparrow? Are there others that I should look into?

A computer will be my source, and my headphones are the HD650 and RE0.

Apr 29, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #4 of 14
If you used the search function and your eyes you would find this thread which is at the same page as yours
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by burgunder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you used the search function and your eyes you would find this thread which is at the same page as yours
wink.gif

That guy is looking only for a DAC I think. I'm looking for a DAC/Amp all-in-one.

Apr 29, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #6 of 14
I've got the Firestone FUBAR IV Plus / OPA627 / Power Supplier package.

I had the Audio-gd Compass previously, it was nice, but a bit too big for my desk. The FUBAR IV has a bit better top end IMO.

Apr 29, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had the Audio-gd Compass previously, it was nice, but a bit too big for my desk. The FUBAR IV has a bit better top end IMO.

Interesting. I tried looking for reviews on the FUBAR IV Plus, but I only found HeadphoneAddict's review of the FUBAR III. How do the DAC and amp sections compare to the Compass?

Apr 29, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #8 of 14
I haven't done a good test of just the DAC section, since this is only used at my desk through headphones. For that use, I like the FIV+ a hair better than the Compass. Also, the FIV+ alone is about 1/4 of the size of the Compass.

If you are wanting to take this back and forth from home/work, I will say the Fun/Compass will not be easy in this regard. It is 1/2-2/3 of a full size stereo component. The FIV+ (without supplier) is much smaller.

The Audio-gd stuff is very nice. However, just due to the distance, getting any service is a LONG process. An e-mail conversation takes several days, and if you have to return a product for repair, it takes a while. However, no doubt that Audio-gd wants to do the right thing, it just takes time. Probably true for anything coming from China these days.

The Sparrow is very intriguing though. Little Dot may be working on a one unit amp/dac as well.

Apr 29, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisplyr3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That guy is looking only for a DAC I think. I'm looking for a DAC/Amp all-in-one.

Ok sorry about that
redface.gif

In that case you can also have a look at the Dr. DAC prime

It costs a lot more than the Audinst though.

The Matrix mini-i is also an option and is priced between the Audinst and the Dr. DAC.

Apr 29, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #10 of 14
I was a little hesitant about the Audio-GD products because of that distance/size factor.

The Dr. DAC prime looks promising and very feature packed. Are there any reviews on it? I haven't found any. I'm curious as to how it compares to the Nuforce HDP.

Apr 30, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

I haven't done a good test of just the DAC section, since this is only used at my desk through headphones. For that use, I like the FIV+ a hair better than the Compass. Also, the FIV+ alone is about 1/4 of the size of the Compass.

If you are wanting to take this back and forth from home/work, I will say the Fun/Compass will not be easy in this regard. It is 1/2-2/3 of a full size stereo component. The FIV+ (without supplier) is much smaller.

The Audio-gd stuff is very nice. However, just due to the distance, getting any service is a LONG process. An e-mail conversation takes several days, and if you have to return a product for repair, it takes a while. However, no doubt that Audio-gd wants to do the right thing, it just takes time. Probably true for anything coming from China these days.

The Sparrow is very intriguing though. Little Dot may be working on a one unit amp/dac as well.

Have you honestly ever contacted Audio-gd or are you just making assumptions? Your statement is upsetting because you might deter someone from buying a great product.

They promptly return all my emails. You must take into consideration the time difference (UTC/GMT + 8 Hours) The designer himself (Kingwa) actually responds to you himself, usually within 5-10 minutes of sending him an email.

I have purchased three pieces of equipment from them, all of which were separate transactions, they have gone extremely smooth with great customer service. On average, shipping takes approximately 7-12 business days to recieve in North America in my experience thus far.

Apr 30, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sk3383 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you honestly ever contacted Audio-gd or are you just making assumptions? Your statement is upsetting because you might deter someone from buying a great product.

They promptly return all my emails. You must take into consideration the time difference (UTC/GMT + 8 Hours) The designer himself (Kingwa) actually responds to you himself, usually within 5-10 minutes of sending him an email.

I have purchased three pieces of equipment from them, all of which were separate transactions, they have gone extremely smooth with great customer service. On average, shipping takes approximately 7-12 business days to recieve in North America in my experience thus far.

I think you're misunderstanding his point. He's praising Audio-GD for their products and great customer service. However, the fact that Kingwa's located in China makes it that turnaround time on warranty repair can take up to a month (shipping there and back, plus repair time, plus increased shipping costs for overseas shipping). Also, the timezone difference (EST is GMT -5) is around 12 hours, so unless you're able to send and receive multiple replies in one day (taking into account when people are sleeping and are actually available to check e-mail), a full e-mail conversation (back and forth numerous times) might take several days. Also, I mentioned that the FUN is pretty big (9.45" x 2.76" x 10.24" without feet), making it take up more desk room and harder to transport frequently, which is one of my criteria for what I'm looking for. Neither he nor I are putting down Audio-GD; I'm sure that he makes a great product with good customer service. I'm just trying to get an idea for what's out there.

To get back on topic -- how does the Dr. DAC prime compare to the Nuforce HDP? Are there any impressions on the Audio-GD Sparrow yet?

Should I instead be buying a separate DAC and amp to get better individual components? I know that many times all-in-ones don't have stellar amp sections. I didn't want to deal with extra interconnect cables and transporting two pieces of equipment, versus one.

Thanks for the help!

Apr 30, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #13 of 14
I don't want to discourage you, but the problem is, no one really owns enough mid-range equipment to know for sure. I mean, if I had ~$800, I'd be well on my way to a Larvy or DAC1. But ask, we might get lucky
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

nice ive been considering the fubar 4 plus, ironically for its small compact size,

how does its usb sound have u compared it to other usb dacs?

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back