HELP! Planning to get new headphones (comfortable, to use with glasses)
Apr 18, 2012 at 5:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ikhayal

New Head-Fier
Hi guys!! I'm planning to get a pair of new headphones. Right now, I've got the Apple in-ear earphones (the newest ones) and also Senheisser HD228. 
I want something that I will be wearing at home or maybe sometimes in library/trainto study or do homework, so they have to be very confortable for long periods of time. Note that I wear glasses, so maybe not any headphone will be confortable for me. I usually listen to electronic music, dance, pop, soundtracks and some "Alternative" style like Apple likes to call it (Coldplay, Paramore, but specially Electronic-Dance music... I like bass, but not too much, only when the song has it, I think a prefer something that sounds like the sound was created to sound, but neither too "clear", I prefer a warm sound I think. 

I have a budget of 80-100€ (110$-140$)... Tell me what you think!!

So, summing up:
Headphones
100-150$ (less, better ;D)
Confortable for long periods of use, even with glasses
For: electronic, dance, pop, soundtracks..
I will use them with my iPhone and my Mac

I really appreciate your help :)
Thanks and sorry for my bad English...

Apr 20, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #2 of 7
Consider expanding your budget up to $200. If you do that, take a look at the Beyerdynamic DT770's. Plenty comfortable and good sound quality. IF you stick to your above budget, the only cans I can can recommend that I have experience with would be the Audio Technica M30's.

I don't usually try out headphones when I'm wearing my glasses as I usually wear contacts. The M30's though felt fine with my glasses. The sound stage is pretty small but it does sound warm and not analytical. Some of the Sennheiser headphones are also pretty comfortable.

A lot of the time it just takes some getting used to. I sometimes wear my glasses and listen to my Ultrasones which at first was absolutely awful but I got used to it and learned what the best "position" is for my glasses and my headphones. Pretty comfortable now I do say.

Apr 20, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks Redriger, I was thinking on the Senhheisers 598, but I would search more info about those you recommended and see if I can try them first :)

Apr 20, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
Thanks Redriger, I was thinking on the Senhheisers 598, but I would search more info about those you recommended and see if I can try them first :)

The 598's are damn comfy, but they are bass weak. Probably not a good idea for your genres. 

Take a look at the Ultrasone HFI-580..they are under $140 in amazon right now. Comfort wise, i give them a 9 of 10 which is not bad. 

Apr 20, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 7
Take a look at the Ultrasone HFI-580..they are under $140 in amazon right now. Comfort wise, i give them a 9 of 10 which is not bad. 

The 580's are definitely a good choice for your music preferences. The HFI line can squeeze your head tightly if you have a "bigger" head but mine feel fine and I would say I have a pretty normal head haha. You can always stretch them out over a box for a night to loosen them up.

Apr 21, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #6 of 7

Quote:

I also enjoy the HFI-580, and I have four eyes as well.  When it comes to glasses, I've found that for me at least, it has more to do with the glasses than the headphones.  I have several headphones (HFI-580, HD-280, ATH-M50, SR-80) and all are fine with my big "hipster" plastic frames.  They are thicker and seem to spread the pressure out.  However if I wear my thinner plastic frames, forget it.  I can't stand them with headphones for longer than 20-30 minutes.  I haven't had wire frames for several years, but I would think that with those being smaller they'd be more comfortable.

Apr 22, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #7 of 7
Thanks everyone! I was convinced to buy the 598's but since you say that they don't supply enough amount of bass (although I don't like excesive amounts of bass, I just like to feel the "vibration", I like a warmer sound but not too dark) I will try to prove those headphones you've recommended. More or less I've found that they are at the same price:

598's: 150€ (200$)
Beyerdynamic DT770M: 140€ (185$)
Ultrasone HFI 580: 120€ (160$) -I know that they are cheaper on Amazon, but with the shipping costs...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back