Help planning a mogami recable
Apr 22, 2011 at 4:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ostewart

Reviewer at Sound Perfection Reviews
Formerly affiliated with HiFi Headphones
I'm thinking of recabling my AKG K518 DJ with mogami W2534 (mini quad) and a neutrik 3.5mm jack. Was just wondering what diameter nylon sheathing do i need for the cable (above and below the Y-split) or paracord (whats better?) also what diameter heatshrink for the Y-split and strain reliefs from cups and jack.

Instructions for soldering the neutrik jack would be helpful, but i guess i could work it out, or find instructions somewhere.

Also how do i protect the cable above the Y-split before i put nylon sheathing/paracord over it?

This will be my first recable so thanks for any help.

Regards, fellow headfier Oscar

Apr 22, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 12
There's an awesome tutorial here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/50729/how-to-make-an-interconnect-step-by-step-with-pics  that has a lot of applicable instructions. You might be best off to buy a slew of nylon for future projects cause it'll be cheaper cause of shipping. Some people have used the barrels of the neutriks as their Y-split which has turned out really well after heatshrinking it. Hope it goes well! Post pictures as you go.

Apr 22, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #3 of 12

Quote:
I'm thinking of recabling my AKG K518 DJ with mogami W2534 (mini quad) and a neutrik 3.5mm jack. Was just wondering what diameter nylon sheathing do i need for the cable (above and below the Y-split) or paracord (whats better?) also what diameter heatshrink for the Y-split and strain reliefs from cups and jack.

Instructions for soldering the neutrik jack would be helpful, but i guess i could work it out, or find instructions somewhere.

Also how do i protect the cable above the Y-split before i put nylon sheathing/paracord over it?

This will be my first recable so thanks for any help.

Regards, fellow headfier Oscar

i'm not sure you can fit the 2534 into a neutrik, i'm pretty sure you need to use a canare f12-  mogami 2893 works well with the neutriks (the 2893 is a bit smaller than the 2534)

above the Y split, i've used 1/8 heat shrink- twist the wires first. it's a lot easier to avoid the techflex, it likes to fray, especially with those small plugs- i started out going for the bling look, and ended up with a mess- get your technique down, then add the bling.

greg 

Apr 23, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #4 of 12
thanks, and yes i will get the 2893, got them mixed up. So cover wire above Y-split with 1/8 heatshrink, ok, and what about making the Y-Split? What size? And strain reliefs?

Apr 23, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #5 of 12
I would shy away from the techflex as it tends to be microphonic. For the heatshrink I would recommend using Polyolefin with a 2:1 shrink ratio as it is fairly flexible after shrinking. It's been my experience that other types of heatshrink materials and heatshrink tubing with 3:1 ratios are quite stiff after shrinking. I recently built a cable and above the Y split I used 1/8" Polyolefin 2:1. For the Y split I purchased a variety pack of several sizes. I built up layer upon layer of heatshrink until I was satisfied how the Y split looked.

Apr 23, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
I would shy away from the techflex as it tends to be microphonic. For the heatshrink I would recommend using Polyolefin with a 2:1 shrink ratio as it is fairly flexible after shrinking. It's been my experience that other types of heatshrink materials and heatshrink tubing with 3:1 ratios are quite stiff after shrinking. I recently built a cable and above the Y split I used 1/8" Polyolefin 2:1. For the Y split I purchased a variety pack of several sizes. I built up layer upon layer of heatshrink until I was satisfied how the Y split looked.

where did you get the variety pack?

Apr 23, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #7 of 12
thanks for the info guys, your so helpful. Will hopefully order the material soon. Then i will take pics step by step, could be messy tho, as its gonna be my first recable.

May 2, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #8 of 12
May 2, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #9 of 12
Some pictures of my pair of AKGs:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.10150406654020355.620775.515460354

I much prefer using the barrel of a cheap 3.5mm plug as the split and covering that with heatshrink, looks much more professional (and better IMO).

My guide (I changed around some of my procedures over time, but the guide is still accurate): http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/479688/a-pic-by-pic-akg-k81dj-k518-recable-thread

May 3, 2011 at 5:14 AM Post #10 of 12
i have that page saved, it is very helpful, will follow that i think. Great recable btw. Thanks for the help

Jan 22, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #12 of 12
Hi all,

So, I'm going to recable my Panasonic RP HTX7AE with some Mogami 2893 and 550 paracord. The cable doesn't fit inside the paracord, so I need to strip it. My question is, what do I keep of the cable? Shall I simply replace the outside of the Mogami with the paracord? Keep all the shielding and what not? Or do I just need the cables inside?

Sorry if this is a dumb question - this will be my first mod (of many, I hope) so just need a pointer on this.

Thanks,

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back