Help picking parts for SILENT music server ONLY pc
May 9, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #16 of 17
Downgrade the components then. Change the e6600 to the e4300, change the videocard to a passive xFx 7600GS, change the mobo to a P5B, change the PSU to the Antec HE430W, and change the 2GB (of ram) to Crucial's DDR2-667 512mb. Otherwise, it should be good enough for your needs. I highly recommend you NOT to waste your money on Zalman's TNN cases because they are just not worth the asking price.

Brendan

May 9, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #17 of 17
About 5 years ago I went the totally silent no moving parts pc route. I used a mini-itx with a fanless via c3 800mhz. I didn't need to put any fans in the case I got, but I also didn't have a hard drive in it (I booted it off the network..ran linux on it)

If you want to go the totally fanless route, I suggest finding a fanless external hard drive and use that to boot off of. You should be able to stick it somewhere so that you can't hear it.

Personally I like the via's, and have had problems retrofitting a computer to be quiet..even with undervolted panfalos and a super quiet psu, it was too noisy for my taste.. a mini-itx solution would be a lot cheaper than a regular pc one..

One thing to remember is that the fanless C7s are slower than p3 1ghz machines. This may or may not bother you. (I used to run a really lean linux setup anyways, so I had no problems with the c3..which was about equal to a pentium celeron 400mhz)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back