help picking new speakers
May 20, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #31 of 67
I like small things. I used to have the A5's but they are too big for a computer set up IMO unless you listen at high volume levels and want room filling sound. The OP says space is a concern so A2, which I have now, should be a better choice. With a small subwoofer such as the microvee, the sound is better for near field listening. If the OP has room for an amp, then he can choose a range of small passive speakers. My recommendation would be the JB3's (John Blue Audio) which can be driven by a small T-amp. If budget and space are not limiting factors, the headroom desk top system would be the best choice especially with the Harbeth speakers but to me that is an overkill for a computer system.

May 20, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #32 of 67
If space is a concern then of course the A2's would be a better choice...They are tiny.

I will be selling my A5's also, as I am new to all this USB/DAC and USB/T-Amp business.

From what I can gather the USB/T-Amp paired with passive bookshelf speakers is another great solution.

I would think that any bookshelf speaker would be at least the size of the A5's if not bigger.

I have some old Polk Audio bookshelf speakers that have been in the closet for about 4 years...Dug them out this morning and they are about 3 times bigger than I remember...Alot bigger than A5's.

I will still be buying a T/Amp and trying them out...But the Polk's will not be sitting on my desk that is for sure...Way too big.

After all the computer speakers I have tried the A2's and A5's are certainly a big step in the right direction.

I have owned just about every decent set that have come down the pike with the best pair being some 4.1's that Gateway had Boston Acoustic's make up.

If speaker size is a concern than I really see no point in not putting the Audioengine A2's in your shopping cart...They sound great and they are very small...Add a inexpensive powered sub and you should have a set with very good sound quality...The A2's and a Velodyne VX-10 for 350 duckies sounds like a killer setup.

I know the A5's and the VX-10 sounds pretty darn good.

May 20, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #33 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For a passive speaker system..... I would recommend ERA D5 or D4 speakers. They are utterly fantasic and beat out my B&W CM1 monitors I use in my main rig. Couple those with a small power amp like a Parasound Zamp, and you have the beginnings of a great system. They are superbly finished also. That system would compete very well against my MC15, and was my second choice (but in the end, I just wanted to own a Dynaudio more)

I have a pair of those in my living room for basic tv watching, they are great speakers. Never really thought about using them for my desktop.

I really like Dynaudio as the company, I have heard their top end speakers and it seems everything they do is amazing. After reading through this thread, I feel I will give the A5 a chance and go from there but will fall back to the Dynaudio.

May 21, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #34 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of those in my living room for basic tv watching, they are great speakers. Never really thought about using them for my desktop.

Nice. You should give them a try on your desk since you can do that for free. There is no reason they can't perform well in a desktop setup with proper care. Get a bunch of books, stack them up and prop the Eras on top. They probably shouldn't be toed-in otherwise they may get a bit bright aimed directly at your head (as opposed to my MC15 which are meant to be aimed more at your head in a nearfield setup).

What I like about my Dynaudio is that they are extremely detailed, but not fatiguing at the same time, and I think having the EQ controls on the back really makes them very flexible in terms of placement. I think the MC15 is somewhere in between the Audience and Focus lines in terms of accuracy. They aren't going to compete against the pricier offerings like the amazing Confidence series, but you do hear the characteristic Dynaudio sound with these even though they sound different than any of the consumer lines (there isn't an exact match in the consumer line to the active monitors). The only caveat is that they can sound a tad boomy if placed too close to the walls, they still need some room to breath. I ended up using the bass trim but keeping the near-wall placement.

May 21, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #35 of 67
i'm becoming wooed by the prospect of the single driver loudspeaker. 6 moons likes this one:

6moons audio reviews: JohnBlue Audio Art JB3

combined with the T-amp produced by the same guys, the KingRex T20U:

Audiomagus - high end not high priced

their dealer sells the both of them for $600 after a slight discount:

this is seriously intriguing me. i like the idea of a small, well designed, simple setup. the JB3 is certainly that, and 6 moons has praised the KingRex as well:

Quote:

I have given my highest commendation to the KingRex T20 by honoring it with the Blue Moon Award for heart-warming tube sound from a cold-running Class-T amp. The T20U is the same amp, only more truthful to the category of integrated amp by offering a second input via its USB interface. If you fancy listening to music from your computer and upgrading your listening pleasure, simply think of the T20U as the best $245 USB DAC money can buy - and the award-winning Tripath amp comes with it gratis.

although i'm also trying to get a new headphone amp, and the nuforce icon seems to have a decent one. so that seems to complicate things.

May 21, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #36 of 67
I'd be curious how these single driver speakers sound. The actual speaker isn't that small so is there an inherent advantage to just using one driver? There are a lot of two way speakers that have enclosures as small or close to it. The NuForce S-1 will be another contender in this arena, but paired with the Icon, it will have an advantage because the Icon activates a special EQ for it.

I recommended the Era D4 because the speaker has a silk dome tweeter for immensely smooth sound and the bass driver is designed specifically for Era by Michael Kelly of Aeriel Acoustics, and its sound is incredibly full for a speaker the size of the D4. This is a speaker that has all the finesse of the best high end minimonitors, and bass performance that belies its size. Most speakers of this size basically have no output below 80Hz, whereas the D4 manages to squeeze out decent impact below that (down to 60 Hz in-room)

May 21, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #37 of 67
The Nuforce Icon can triple as a USB DAC, headphone amp, and as an integrated amp ($250). It does a very good job at all three for the money. Pair this with a used pair of Polk RT25i's (no joke, these really are quite good - Stereophile had it right about these in the late 90's) for $100 a pair on ebay and you have a great little flexible sytem that plays clean and loud for only $350. Headphone of your choice of course!

May 21, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #38 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAnomaly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
combined with the T-amp produced by the same guys, the KingRex T20U:

Wow! I've been looking for a better-performing, more powerful replacement for my T-Amp for a while; this looks like it might be just the ticket! I've got the original T, and it's getting very unreliable in its old age (I've had it + or - three years). I love the sound, but it really strains to drive my PSBs to a decent listening level, and the volume control is very junky; half the time I have to jiggle it to get both channels to play. A little more power and better build quality is exactly what I've been looking for.

Good catch. And sorry about the thread-jack.

May 21, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #39 of 67
yes, 6 moons in particular loves the KingRex, they gave it an award for the most tube-like solid state amp. my only misgiving about this potential setup is, let's be frank, the 3" drivers may not be up to the task when it comes to more complex orchestral or rock arrangements. i'm sure they do fine with simpler or less frenzied material, but i have reservations with regards to my electronica, rock, and rap selections. i need something that is a great all arounder; somewhat ironically, the wide-band speaker may not be suited to this!

so i'm still considering other things...particularly that KEF iQ1. it looks to be quite good, reasonably efficient too. though the appeal of the JB3 is there, if only i knew that it could handle what i would put it through. the same sort of concerns apply to the Nuforce S-1 -- which i'm sure is a good speaker, under certain listening standards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
I'd be curious how these single driver speakers sound. The actual speaker isn't that small so is there an inherent advantage to just using one driver?

heh...there's a good question. according to the 6moons article, people who back the SDL (single driver loudspeaker) do so because they think that crossovers and what not "chop up" the sound too much, also citing phase coherence as an issue. of course you can use a concentric array like in the KEF, so that concern would go out the window. then you've got the issue of the crossover...at any rate, another review i read said that the JB3 delivers headphone like detail in a speaker setting, so this thing is clearly pretty competent if you feed it the right kind of power and playback material.

you're right, the actual enclosure is not mind boggling small, although i think most of that is to improve the bass response; apparently the driver gains 40 hz extension by being in the cabinet.

May 21, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #44 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by falang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question: How could one hook up a sub to the A2s when they have no sub-out?

If you are running something like a Xi-Fi surround sound card with sub/center out you could get a mini to RCA and go out to the sub that way.

I am going to try that versus connecting the sub through the sub out on the A5's and just going right out of the sound card' sub out...Just to see how it will sound.

I was looking at AudioEngines site and they have pics of their sub paired with the A2's...Looking at their site I can only surmise they will do it wirelessly.

And I guess with a DAC you could use splitters...But that would probably sound not so good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back