help picking new speakers
May 19, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #16 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think i am going to give the Audioengine A5 a try since everyone seems to like them and then will go from there if they do not work for me.

Thanks everyone.

Let me know how you like em. I'm thinking of selling my Klipsch Pro Media's to fund a pair of A5's. I don't use the 5.1 anymore, and I think I'm missing something from my speakers right now.

May 20, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #17 of 67
After comparing as many different sound cards, DVD players, CD players, SACD player as I could get my hands on, and weeks changing speaker placement I have come to these conclusions.

A5's are only as good as the source you are feeding them...Crappy source...Crappy sound...Killer source...Killer sound...Mediorce source...Well you get my drift.

They are also very paticular about placement...I purchased some MoPads...Big difference.

I started with them tilted up 4 degrees then 8 degrees sitting on my desk.

I am painting and making some bench changes in my computer room.

So I have my computer setup in the dining room/living room...Not that big but not small.

Kept moving the A5's around...Sitting on 2 end tables with the MoPads.

I must be weird...I liked them pointing directly at my ears, slightly in front of my face.

I finally bought some speaker stands and am very suprised at the sound quality these speakers afford for 350 duckies.

With the Velodyne VX-10 added to the mix, and man...Rocking for sure.

So anybody considering the A5's need to be aware that you cannot expect good sound from them without a good source.

And I would consider MoPads pretty much a must have if you plan on setting them on your desk in a near field configuration.

My 2 cents.

May 20, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #18 of 67
I actually prefer the A2 for near-field listening and its small size. I pair them with a Velodyne Microvee subwoofer and the sound is great!

May 20, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #19 of 67
do you find their size (A5s) manageable? a big thing for me right now is the size. if i go larger than a desktop placement (i have a desk that's about 66" x 30") then i need to get stands, and that could be another $100 that i'd like to avoid spending if possible! i've been looking at the A5s on and off for about 3 months now, but i keep thinking i want to go for something higher quality and then hold off on purchasing again. on the other hand, i could very easily do a setup like you that incorporates a woofer, which would be a more complete system...but at the cost of some midrange/treble quality? i don't know. this is why i've been looking for almost 3 months but haven't done anything!

May 20, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #20 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAnomaly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you find their size (A5s) manageable? a big thing for me right now is the size. if i go larger than a desktop placement (i have a desk that's about 66" x 30") then i need to get stands, and that could be another $100 that i'd like to avoid spending if possible! i've been looking at the A5s on and off for about 3 months now, but i keep thinking i want to go for something higher quality and then hold off on purchasing again. on the other hand, i could very easily do a setup like you that incorporates a woofer, which would be a more complete system...but at the cost of some midrange/treble quality? i don't know. this is why i've been looking for almost 3 months but haven't done anything!

I would probably have to agree with drlee27 for near field on desk placement...The A'2 do an amazing job...Especially if you consider the sound quality verus price ratio.

At lower volumes the A2's probably sound a little better a the same sound level...Never compared the 2 side by side.

The 5's of course start flexing their muscles as the volume level goes up.

The A5's with a Velodyne VX-10 is a pretty killer setup...Set you back 500 bones...But the sound is top to bottom pretty killer.

It sounds like the good dr. has come up with what appears to be a very good addition to some already great sounding near field speakers...A2's and the Microvee.

The great thing about his setup is that it can be had for about what the A5's cost.

LOL...Now drlee27 has me running off to Velodyne to check out the Microvee.

May 20, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #21 of 67
Velodyne Microvee, Minevee and Minivee 10.

1000watts RMS...600.00 for the Microvee...1k for the Minivee 10

So I spoke too soon...The A2's and Microvee will set you back about 800 bones.

If you buy the A5's for near field placement on a desk, get yourself some MoPads...Worth the 40 duckies.

I only had the A2's for a couple of weeks and did not put them through the ringer like I am the A5's.

That being said you can get the A2's and a VX-10 for about what the A5's cost.

May 20, 2008 at 7:55 AM Post #22 of 67
I own the A2 and the A5 and i'm impressed by the A5 that i use within the following setup:

The A5 are on Atacama stands filed with sand, with an Iqube as preamp, ALO & Kimber Mini interconnects, and a double QED 25th anniversarry speaker cable between the two speakers.

(Portable) source: Discman D25S, Sony Pro Walkman WM D6

Power: Qed & Wireworld power cords via a 1 Kva power filter. So this way, there's only one element (the A5 itselves) plugged on the power. The preamp and source are on battery.

This system is rather impressive in term of musicality and pleasant at low/mid level.

Anyone tried the sub from Audioengine?

May 20, 2008 at 9:10 AM Post #23 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That being said you can get the A2's and a VX-10 for about what the A5's cost.

that's an interesting idea. would there be much difference, do you think, between an A5 + VX-10 and A2 + VX-10? you're probably going to have the crossover above 50 hz...so i'm thinking maybe not? A2 + VX-10 might be the ticket for me, because it was always sort of a tricky thing to decide on getting a larger monitor and not getting a sub...or getting a reasonably sized monitor and adding a sub later due to costs...but the A2 and the VX-10 would deliver a solid 40hz or better bass setup that most monitors would be hard pressed to beat in the ~$500 range.

May 20, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #24 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAnomaly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's an interesting idea. would there be much difference, do you think, between an A5 + VX-10 and A2 + VX-10? you're probably going to have the crossover above 50 hz...so i'm thinking maybe not? A2 + VX-10 might be the ticket for me, because it was always sort of a tricky thing to decide on getting a larger monitor and not getting a sub...or getting a reasonably sized monitor and adding a sub later due to costs...but the A2 and the VX-10 would deliver a solid 40hz or better bass setup that most monitors would be hard pressed to beat in the ~$500 range.

You should be able to get the A2's and VX-10 for right at 350.00 dollars...I am not certain...But if it is anything like the A5's paried with the VX-10, I think it would be very hard to find something in the 350.00 dollar price range that could hang with it.

The 500.00 dollars you would have to spend on the A5's and VX-10...I can tell you most certainly rocks the house...The A2's and A5's share the same 1" silk dome tweeter...Sound quality should be close until the volume knob starts turning.

The A5's and VX-10 will put out some seriously loud sound...With very good sound quality...Really have not thrashed or beat on them...Even though I do not have educated ears, I have zero tolerance for clipping or distortion...I just cannot deal with it.

For 350 bones or 500 duckies respectivly I really dont think you can go wrong...My original plan was to buy 2 sets of A2's...My thinking??? 4 Audioengine 2's for 50 bones more than a pair of A5's...I certainly wished I had borrowed the VX-10 before I sent the A2's back and purchased the A5's.

But I am very happy with the A5's and VX-10 combintation...Smoking good sound...Especially considering the price of admission.

May 20, 2008 at 11:55 AM Post #25 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really do not have a set price budget as some I am looking at go up to $1200 a pair.

With that much to spend, you shouldn't be looking at "computer" speakers, in my opinion. You should be looking at a good integrated amp and small monitors. Figure $500 for the amp and the remainder for the speakers. You will need shielded monitors, of course, but that's the only concession you should make to "computer" speakers.

Consider any of the low end choices from PSB, Infinity, etc.

May 20, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #26 of 67
You're both right IMO. You should indeed look at classic bookshelves. And a pair of good bookshelf with a good sub such as a Velodyne may be a killer combo! The advantage of power loudspeakers is the gain of space.

May 20, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #27 of 67
I'm still immensely happy with my Dynaudio MC15, Velodyne Microvee combo. If you don't need something as small as the Microvee, I'd recommend the Minivee. The Microvee costs $600, and the MC15 is around $1200, but you should also just consider the pro version which is $999 (BM5A Compact). Exact same speaker except for the balanced-only connectors. I feel the Dynaudios match any comparable Amp combo with a passive speaker of the same size.

001yx2.jpg

Thanks to the trim controls on the back of the MC15, and careful calibration, I was able to get a very accurate response.

But I do agree you should give the A5's a chance.

For a passive speaker system..... I would recommend ERA D5 or D4 speakers. They are utterly fantasic and beat out my B&W CM1 monitors I use in my main rig. Couple those with a small power amp like a Parasound Zamp, and you have the beginnings of a great system. They are superbly finished also. That system would compete very well against my MC15, and was my second choice (but in the end, I just wanted to own a Dynaudio more)

May 20, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #28 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolida302 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're both right IMO. You should indeed look at classic bookshelves. And a pair of good bookshelf with a good sub such as a Velodyne may be a killer combo! The advantage of power loudspeakers is the gain of space.

Yes, I should have also recommended a sub, and Velodyne is a great make to consider.

May 20, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #30 of 67
BTW, my A5 are for sale !!! Excellent condition with all orginal accessories and box. Save money and buy better cables !!! It makes a lot of difference. Pm me for details!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back