Help picking new headphones, coming from the Oppo pm-3
Nov 24, 2023 at 5:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

fkinthecoffee

New Head-Fier
Hello, I've been using Oppo pm-3 for a number of years, really enjoyed them but sadly no longer work. Had using the AKG k361 as a cheap replacement for the past few months but really not a fan of the build quality. So time to find a worthy replacement for my Oppo pm-3s.

My Budget is ideally sub £700, rather not but could to £900ish if the extra cost is worth it.
Need to be closed back
Little to no sound leakage
No leather ear pads
Will be used for a mix of movies, general PC use, music, and single-player gaming
I normally listen to classical music or 70s-era rock.
Not a fan of overpowering bass.
Must be wired, preferably with a replaceable cable
Would like something which is an improvement on the Oppo pm-3
I haven't been using an amp, always have audio on the lower side anyway so no idea if I need one
My current music player is a Surfans f20 and TV a Panasonic TX-55LZ2000B if this info helps at all.
Don't want to import headphones, so must be sold in the UK.

Not sure if any more info is needed, but happy to provide more if needed.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Nov 26, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 3
You could look into the Monoprice planar line, 565c is quite good value, but stock is erratic. There is also a closed version of the Hifiman Sundara.
Going down the dynamic driver route, the Shure 1540 is better built than the other options, with spare pads/replacement cables easily ordered from pro audio chains too.

Nov 27, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #3 of 3
Hello, I've been using Oppo pm-3 for a number of years, really enjoyed them but sadly no longer work. Had using the AKG k361 as a cheap replacement for the past few months but really not a fan of the build quality. So time to find a worthy replacement for my Oppo pm-3s.

My Budget is ideally sub £700, rather not but could to £900ish if the extra cost is worth it.
Need to be closed back
Little to no sound leakage
No leather ear pads
Will be used for a mix of movies, general PC use, music, and single-player gaming
I normally listen to classical music or 70s-era rock.
Not a fan of overpowering bass.
Must be wired, preferably with a replaceable cable
Would like something which is an improvement on the Oppo pm-3
I haven't been using an amp, always have audio on the lower side anyway so no idea if I need one
My current music player is a Surfans f20 and TV a Panasonic TX-55LZ2000B if this info helps at all.
Don't want to import headphones, so must be sold in the UK.

Not sure if any more info is needed, but happy to provide more if needed.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
I can recommend Focal Elegia with Dekoni “custom” Stellia pads. There are great deals to be found!

I am still using my PM3s for bedside listening, as it has a single wire out of the left cup.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back