Help picking my first set of really good headphones
Jan 5, 2016 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

TheMadgician

New Head-Fier
Title explains the basics, I'm looking to finally get some good headphones.

I'll mostly be using them on my computer. Right now I have Astro A40s with the mixamp pro. I also have a Soundblaster Z soundcard. I mostly listen to metal (Dream Theater, Blind Guardian, Devin Townsend, Between the Buried and Me, Animals as Leaders, Cryptopsy) and play video games.

Being able to use them on the go with my phone on occasion would be nice, but isn't a big deal. I know my phone (LG V10) has a good DAC, but I doubt it could power much of anything. Besides, I've got LG Tone Infiniums for portable in most cases.

I was considering Audio Technica ATH-M50s or Beyderdynamic DT990s, but I'm open to suggestions for anything. I'm looking to spend $200 or less. I'm looking for something with really good clarity, and good punchy bass you can really feel. Only other thing I'd like is headphones that suppress sound pretty well. My girlfriend often complains she can hear what I'm listening to from about 10 feet away even if I don't have it turned up very loud.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 5, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #3 of 11
Hmm, that seems to kind of confirm that some Audio Technicas might be a good choice for me. Should I continue to play them through the mixamp pro? Or should I plug directly into my sound card? I'm assuming either would be enough to drive them, yes?

Jan 5, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #4 of 11
The idea with dedicated hardware like a DAC or an AMP is not only a power issue. Its also audio quality. You should be able to get a better audio experience using that dedicated hardware even if the heaphones are efficient enough to be used directly with the PC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 5, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #5 of 11
I would stay away from the dt990 if you dont want sound to leak. It is an open headphone. 

Jan 6, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #6 of 11
I would stay away from dt990 if you don't want a migraine too.

Jan 6, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #7 of 11
  Hmm, that seems to kind of confirm that some Audio Technicas might be a good choice for me. Should I continue to play them through the mixamp pro? Or should I plug directly into my sound card? I'm assuming either would be enough to drive them, yes?

Try your soundcard first, my motherboard was great for all the headphones in my sig. 

Jan 6, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #8 of 11

I think I might be able to offer some comparisons on those two options. I agree with the others about the DT 990's since they can be heard across the room being open back. I would not recommend the ATH-M50x since they are not as comfortable as some others. If you get them as a gift as I did then they are great and can be driven by any phone or DAP. If I were to buy another set for comfort ($150.00 or less)I would go with Brainwavz HM5 $119.00 at Amazon. I had a chance to borrow a set and they were very comfortable after 6 hours of use. The ATH-M50x are not as comfortable even with thick velour pads.

Jan 6, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #9 of 11
I think the Brainwavz HM5 pads are compatible with the ATH-M50 (you might want to double check me) but that would probably solve all of the comfort issues. And my vote is with the M50's. They are a good starting headphone that isolates fairly well and has pretty good bass impact. Beyer's tend to have peaky treble which makes them sibilant, so much so that I never listen to my 990's anymore. And the 990 in particular is open-back, so other people will be able to hear your music. 

Jan 6, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #10 of 11
If you're considering the ATH-M50x I would recommend to try the BOSE SoundTrue II too. Those can be found to try in any big electronic store. I have the previous version and I think they sound as good as the ATH-M50x (a co-worker have them) but they're lighter, more comfortable and more smartphone friendly (they come with iOS or Android controlling cable). These BOSE are a bit less efficient than the AT meaning they're less louder at the same volume level but its not a problem. The new version is slightly better in comfort and some materials.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back