Help picking headphones
Apr 20, 2002 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

NavyASW02

New Head-Fier
This is my first post and my first venture into the world of serious headphones. I will first give you some background as to what I'm going to use these headphones for. I am buying a digital piano and want the best sound I can get from it in order to simulate as closely as possible to a real piano. I know that it will never be truly the same, but the best way to get it as close as possible is to buy the best equipment for it. I have narrowed my search to the following choices (in no particular order):

1. Sennheiser HD-570 $99
2. Sennheiser HD- 580 approx $150-170
3. Sennheiser HD-600 approx $230
4. Sony MDR-7506 approx $99
5. Audio Technica M40 $79-99

I have not tried the latter two headphones. I tried the 600's and 570's with the 600's being considerably better, however, the sound does not "jump out" at me. I have not tried any good quality closed head phones to see if the sound seems more intense, but I suspect that I will prefer the closed headphones because I'd like to eliminate as much background noise as possible while playing. Also I would prefer not to have to purchase an amp as I hear is a common among users of the 600's.

The Sony MDR-7506's were recommended by a trusted dealer and seem to be prevalent in a lot of studios. The Audio Technica M40's were also recommended because of their flat responses.

Of those five, which one would be best for my needs? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help

Apr 20, 2002 at 4:27 AM Post #2 of 13
Apr 20, 2002 at 10:38 AM Post #5 of 13
I think I would prefer to have closed headphones, however I think that a good pair of open headphones would be alright because I'm not expecting to have too much background noise when I play.

Apr 20, 2002 at 11:06 AM Post #6 of 13
The V6's are ideal for your application. They are perfect for studio work and will last a lifetime, even under heavy and unkind usage.

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 20, 2002 at 3:46 PM Post #7 of 13
For piano reproduction Stax is probably the best bet, if you're willing to spend more money. For about $800 imported from Japan from EIFL (give them a call during Japanese daylight hours), you should probably get the Classic 3030 set, which comes with an amplifier, and which seems to be Stax's best value. I haven't heard it specifically, but the older Stax Lambda Pros I owned were superior to everything else I'd heard for piano reproduction, and the new Staxes are supposed to be even better.

Apr 20, 2002 at 6:24 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by NavyASW02
[size=xx-small]This is my first post and my first venture into the world of serious headphones. I will first give you some background as to what I'm going to use these headphones for. I am buying a digital piano and want the best sound I can get from it in order to simulate as closely as possible to a real piano. I know that it will never be truly the same, but the best way to get it as close as possible is to buy the best equipment for it. I have narrowed my search to the following choices (in no particular order):

1. Sennheiser HD-570 $99
2. Sennheiser HD- 580 approx $150-170
3. Sennheiser HD-600 approx $230
4. Sony MDR-7506 approx $99
5. Audio Technica M40 $79-99

I have not tried the latter two headphones. I tried the 600's and 570's with the 600's being considerably better, however, the sound does not "jump out" at me. I have not tried any good quality closed head phones to see if the sound seems more intense, but I suspect that I will prefer the closed headphones because I'd like to eliminate as much background noise as possible while playing. Also I would prefer not to have to purchase an amp as I hear is a common among users of the 600's.

The Sony MDR-7506's were recommended by a trusted dealer and seem to be prevalent in a lot of studios. The Audio Technica M40's were also recommended because of their flat responses.

Of those five, which one would be best for my needs? Any other suggestions?

What other alternatives are there to the V6 that might sound better? I haven't tried them, but I'm curious how their sound quality compares to the senn 600's.

Thanks for the help [/size]

If you want to avoid getting an amplifier, even though an amp can improve the quality of the sound you get significantly, and you want a sealed can, I would recommend you consider the Etymotic ER-4P and the BeyerDynamic DT250-80. Neither are cheap, but they simply are the best in their respective categories, all things considered. Now, if you absolutely don't have to have sealed cans, you also should consider the Sony CD-3000. The CD-3000, although it looks like a sealed can, is not, as it is vented around the entire circumfrence of the can. With the volume down low, you will be able to quite easily hear the phone ring and people talking, but nontheless, the CD-3000's are incredible phones for an unamplified environment.

The Etymotics and the Sony CD-3000's are both arguably, easily in the same league as the HD-600. Many feel that they are superior.

Since this is such a subjective thing, you really should listen for yourself.

Apr 22, 2002 at 1:56 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by NavyASW02
Are the etymotics actually comfortable? I looked at the web page and they certainly look very unique

It does take a while, but I think I am getting used to them (i.e. learning how to put them in) after owning them for about two weeks. I do have to make quite a few little adjustments in the first five-ten minutes, but after that I can actually forget they're there; I sometimes have to wiggle them around just to convince myself that they are actually still in!
biggrin.gif

Apr 22, 2002 at 1:54 PM Post #13 of 13
The ER-6's are maybe 80% of the ER-4's in terms of sonic quality. The cords are not detachable/replacable. They're a good value.
Sensitivity wise, they're in between the 4P and the 4S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back