Help picking from 3 IEMs / Questions about upgrading and balance
Sep 13, 2013 at 10:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

acompli

New Head-Fier
Recently posted as a newcomer asking general advice for a first time higher end audio/IEM purchase. Now I've loaded up on information and have some far more specific and (hopefully) educated questions. I have narrowed the field down to 3:

W3
GR07BE
DBA-02 mkII

The common factors are minimal drawbacks/dealbreakers (compared to my tastes) and sound profile descriptions. The W3 has exciting reviews, but has some quirks that may turn me off. GR07BE sounds almost perfect for me, but I'm concerned about the dynamic driver. I'm excited about getting the depth and separation that apparently comes with muiltiple BAs, a huge part of why I'm making this upgrade to begin with. The DBA-02 mkII is kind of a wild card, being more neutral, but seems very solid to me overall, though I am worried about not enough bass.

I'm looking for some comparison of these 3, in regards to both the objective and subjective elements of IEMs.

And I have questions about this audio upgrade, specifically about balance.

First, I like a fairly v-shaped sound, with moderate emphasis on bass. Melodic, smooth, present, sometimes punchy, not earth shattering. I'll take Paul's bass on "Hey Bulldog" over dubstep or hip hop bass any day. Are my EQ preferences a result of tweaking sound to make up for cheap equipment? Could a quality, un-EQed, neutral IEM sound better to me overall and satisfy my bass needs? Or will it still contain features of mids and highs that drive me crazy on all my previous devices? Will powerful, high quality bass be too much for me?

In general, how does sound quality relate to balance preferences?

I listen to rock almost exclusively, favoring 60s, postpunk, 80s/90s "college" and "indie" rock. Some newer stuff with similar sound, but not much else. I want something that can work in a range from a raw, 3-piece/1-take sound of something like the Ramones, to more vast soundscapes with electronic infusion like with Radiohead. And whatever's in between. Is there a recommendation that may be in line with these tastes? How should genre be considered when choosing IEMs and what are the factors - balance, clarity, etc.?

I think that should do it. Huge thanks in advance for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back