Help picking DAC/AMP for HE6se
Mar 13, 2020 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Chronnoisseur

New Head-Fier
The TLDR: What's the best setup for HE6se for less than $1k? Best for around $2k?

Fell down a rabbit hole and I need help getting out. I'm looking for a headphone amp/dac that's a good match for my new HE6se headphones. I thought I knew what I wanted to power them but after further research I cant decide. Originally I was going to buy a new Bifrost and Jotunheim from Schiit. Then I read a speaker amp would be better so I was considering the Vidar with a preamp (which dac with this setup?) or possibly a fully loaded Ragnarok. Then I read the schiit stuff might just be hyped up so now I'm considering other options. Eventually I will probably get a FirstWatt J2 since I've heard good things about that amp but I need something in the meantime. How can I make the HE6se sound the best on a headphone amp with around $1-2k to spend?

Amps I was considering:
  • Schiit Jotunheim (with Bifrost most likely but was going to get the built in dac to see if I could even hear a difference)
  • Schiit Ragnarok fully loaded
  • Monolith THX AAA 887
  • Monolith Liquid Platinum
  • Emotiva BasX A-100
  • Vidar (is Aegir worth an extra $100?)

DACs I was considering are (do I need a balanced dac if I get a balanced amp?)
  • Schiit multibit dac (bifrost probably)
  • Topping D50s or D70
  • ADI-2 DAC FS (Can get 1st gen used for ~$800. How does this compare to the bifrost and D50/70? Looks more appealing to me cuz the volume control and eq)
Anything that sounds good that I missed? How would the cheapest options here (THX or BasX A-100 plus D50s) stack up agaist the more expensive options like jot/bimby or speaker amps like the Ragnarok? I got the HE6se for the bass so want something that will really make that bass thump. Right now I'm leaning towards a used ADI-2 DAC and Liquid Platinum (until I can get a FirstWatt) for around $1.3k or so. Either that or the jot/bimby. Anyone heard both and have a preference? Thanks for you help.

Apr 26, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #2 of 6
What did you get? Currently awaiting HE6SE

Apr 26, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #3 of 6
Apr 26, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #4 of 6
Hmmm..... was hoping for something in the 500USD price range. Used or new, couldn’t find any Master 19 on eBay. I’ve got a Topping A90 which I will try before I buy something more powerful, since it seems like people recommend speaker amps for these.

Considering Rega Brio (6 months old)
Or Roksan Caspian MK1 (High end integrated amp, but it’s 15yrs old and I’m afraid to power the HE6SE from that since my newly purchased HE6 4-screw got their driver broker from my speaker amp NAD 356bee 10yrs old, been reading all over the internet about amplifiers capacitors getting bad with age, which I think is the reason my NAD amp broke the HE6, I’ve ordered a multimeter to check for DC leak, but still worried if I have missed something on the prerequisites that is from running headphones from speaker taps)

Also wondering if the Emotive basX would be a good upgrade over a he A90

Apr 26, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #5 of 6
Hmmm..... was hoping for something in the 500USD price range. Used or new, couldn’t find any Master 19 on eBay. I’ve got a Topping A90 which I will try before I buy something more powerful, since it seems like people recommend speaker amps for these.

Considering Rega Brio (6 months old)
Or Roksan Caspian MK1 (High end integrated amp, but it’s 15yrs old and I’m afraid to power the HE6SE from that since my newly purchased HE6 4-screw got their driver broker from my speaker amp NAD 356bee 10yrs old, been reading all over the internet about amplifiers capacitors getting bad with age, which I think is the reason my NAD amp broke the HE6, I’ve ordered a multimeter to check for DC leak, but still worried if I have missed something on the prerequisites that is from running headphones from speaker taps)

Also wondering if the Emotive basX would be a good upgrade over a he A90

Well, that is why you will have to shell out the extra money for more proper power to your HE-6SE, as your HE-6 just received too much power from a speaker amplifier after you tried to save money. This was a very well known problem in the HE-6’s hey-day and you may be able to have Hifiman replace your HE-6 with one that has matching drivers, but for a strong fee and if they have matching drivers.

The AB-1266 TC owner had a Topping D90 and replaced it with a Master 19, and the only complaint he had was that it was 8x the size of the D90. Magna HIFI sells the Master 19 and ships from the Netherlands, please check them out to keep your HE-6SE intact. :)

May 14, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #6 of 6
I am on the same path. I've been told consistently by audiophiles I respect that the optimal amp would be a speaker amp. I'd like to find one myself that is around 500USD and not too bad of a boat anchor. If anyone has suggestions, I'm listening (and combing through forums).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back