Help pick new full open headphones to add to my collection
May 23, 2015 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ipponrg

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Getting that itch again..

I currently have:
- AKG Q701 (these are my dailies)
- Grado SR325e (these are fun but i can only listen for a few hours at a time)
- Ultrasone HFI-580 (rarely used nowadays)

What do you guys think I am missing in my repertoire? Prefer, but not mandatory, open back since I like to wear my headphones for long periods of time.  Budget is ~$1000.  I thought about springing for the $2000 Audeze.  I listened to it, and I honestly was not that impressed over what I currently have. 

Music genres I typically listen to: rock, post-hardcore, pop punk, pop, dance/trance/edm, and electronic.

Thanks!

May 25, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #3 of 7
  Hi,

Getting that itch again..

I currently have:
- AKG Q701 (these are my dailies)
- Grado SR325e (these are fun but i can only listen for a few hours at a time)
- Ultrasone HFI-580 (rarely used nowadays)

What do you guys think I am missing in my repertoire? Prefer, but not mandatory, open back since I like to wear my headphones for long periods of time.  Budget is ~$1000.  I thought about springing for the $2000 Audeze.  I listened to it, and I honestly was not that impressed over what I currently have. 

Music genres I typically listen to: rock, post-hardcore, pop punk, pop, dance/trance/edm, and electronic.

Thanks!

At this point, and considering your preferred genres I think you should look at the Beyerdynamic T1 and the AKG K812.

May 25, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #4 of 7
Thank you for your suggestions.  I'll read up on all of those.  I was looking at the Beyerdynamic T1 and AKG812 prior to this post (http://www.head-fi.org/t/745213/comparison-review-a-tale-of-two-flagships-part-deux-beyerdynamic-t1-vs-akg-k812)

May 25, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #5 of 7
HE-560. I think you'll appreciate the bass texturing quality of planar magnetics for listening to EDM, etc.

What make/model amp do you have?

May 25, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #6 of 7
I plug in my headphones thru a Roland quad capture DAC.  Right now from my research it's looking like I am leaning closer to the T1s.  Just waiting for those crazy buydig deals to show up.  I'm not sure about the Hifiman HE-560.  How do these compare to the Audeze alternatives?

May 25, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #7 of 7
I plug in my headphones thru a Roland quad capture DAC. 

Probably want to see what the low output impedance is. Might not be suitable for driving low impedance headphones, should you go with any.

I'm not sure about the Hifiman HE-560.  How do these compare to the Audeze alternatives?

Don't know. I have the HE-400s and liked the HE-560s when I demoed them :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back