Help pick first project: Amp for D2000
Nov 26, 2008 at 6:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

blynch1

New Head-Fier
I am currently running D2000 off e-mu 0404. I'm looking to build a dedicated amp that will significantly improve over the 0404's built in amp. So a cmoy is likely out of the question.

What I've been looking at are the SS hybrid, millet max hybrid, and the SOHA II. It looks like the starving student hybrid is the simplest to make out of these which may be helpful for my first project.

I have essentially no soldering experience, I understand basic circuitry (resistors, capacitors, transitors), but I learn quickly. I would like to go for the max or SOHA as they are highly regarded, but am considering the SS because those other amps might be to difficult for a first project.

-Which of these builds(or suggest something else) should I attempt, and how much of an upgrade would it be to my current setup?

Nov 26, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #2 of 6
I think that the PCB based projects (SOHA II and MMax) will be easier for a first timer, since it's as simple as dropping labeled resistors into labeled slots. Building point-to-point (SS hybrid), is more like putting a puzzle together.

The SOHA II seems to be getting rave reviews of late. I don't want to speculate on the quality of an amp that I don't own, but I expect some happy SOHA II owners will chime in here in a bit
biggrin.gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 9:01 AM Post #4 of 6
Thats interesting I figured the SS hybrid would be easier than the SOHA II, becuase it looked to have fewer components.

So going either SOHAII or MMax I would not be biting off more than I can chew as a first timer?

Nov 26, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #5 of 6
The 25 ohm Denon likes power.
The 0404 doesn't do bad, but lacks the kilowatts necessary to fulfill subterranean requirements (lacks bass)
biggrin.gif
J/K.
This is my opinion, of course, as it relates to the Denon 2k and 0404usb.
The SS and SOHA have very good support here.

Nov 26, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 6
I'd definately like for the bottom end to get a bit more power. So it looks like I will have to toss a coin between the SOHA and the millet and hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back