Help pick decent headphones for a n00b
Aug 26, 2005 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

shouse

New Head-Fier
First, let me lay down the ground rules. I'm looking for a good set of headphones that are well-rounded. They will be hooked up to the computer
of a Audigy 2 sound card. I plan on playing games and listening to music. A good amount of bass and good soundstaging are high up on the list. May consider amping them later but as of now prob not. Have no problem buying used if seller has feedback. NOt looking to spend anymore than $150, that's MAX. ANy ideas?
thanks

Aug 27, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #2 of 11
Sennheiser HD555's. A great headphone for your purposes and will become an even better headphone once you get an amp.

Aug 27, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdon
Grado SR-80's

OP wants a headphone with "good soundstaging"
tongue.gif
I love the Grados for the lack of soundstage though...I prefer to be up close to the music!
rs1smile.gif

Aug 27, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdon
Grado SR-80's

Where's the soundstage?
biggrin.gif
Not too rounded either, I might add.
wink.gif

HD555? You can get them for around $107, but I wouldn't recommend the shops that sell them for that price. They're most likely unreliable.

Try Abe's of Maine though. Good company. Cheap prices.
http://www.abesofmaine.com/viewproduct.asp?id=senhd555

Aug 27, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #9 of 11
Just curious to know. Are there any headphones that can give you the bass you would have w/ 2 12"s or 1 15" in the back of your car? i've never heard expensive headphones before, only like $30 KOSS which have midbass but now lows.

Aug 27, 2005 at 5:09 AM Post #10 of 11
Audio-Technica a500s from Audiocubes!
110 w/shipping.

Should be as good as the Senns, and cooler-looking as well.

No amp needed.
Good soundstage.
Cheap(er).
Closed (good for gaming).
Plenty of bass.

Only caveat is shipping. Audiocubes shipping tends to vary(my etys took almost a week); I'll have to let others comment on that.

Aug 27, 2005 at 5:43 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlienPyro
Audio-Technica a500s from Audiocubes!
110 w/shipping.

Only caveat is shipping. Audiocubes shipping tends to vary(my etys took almost a week); I'll have to let others comment on that.

Price on the Audiocubes site is 105. Shipping for me was 6 bucks to DC from Japan. Ordered on Tuesday, got 'em on Friday. I'm quite pleased with my experience and with the cans.
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back