Help pick at IEM
May 26, 2008 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

netring

New Head-Fier
I just got my cowon x5 fixed after not using it for a while and would like to get some nice in ear headphones to go with them. I used a pair of ex71s before. I have 80-100$ to spend(i wish i had 150 to superfi pros). I know isnt alot for a nice pair of IEMs, but im hoping to get the most for it. Just to give you an idea i listen to basically 30% techno, 60% rock(muse, radiohead,marsvolta,other indie stuff) 10% classical. I am kind of a bass person. From looking at prices and how much i can get the same pair on ebay for, ive narrowed it down to these but i probably missed some.
Klipsch custom1s(cant seem to find a whole lot of reviews for em)
Shure se210s
Westone UM1
d-jays
older shures e2c,e3c and such
youre welcome to add more
Even if the headphones are worth over 100 as long as i can get them on ebay or some other store for under 100 im down for them.

May 26, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #2 of 7
Welcome to Head-Fi

I can only comment on the Westones as I have not tried the others. The UM1's have a warm laid back sound signature. They are one of the most comfortable in ears I have ever tried as well. I listen to mostly rock and pop and they work very good for me. Another nice feature is they set pretty flush with your ear. This is good if you were a hat etc..

May 26, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #3 of 7
At that price I would only consider the Altec Lansing iM716, but they need an amp to shine. Apparently, the Head Direct RE2 are very very good, but I have not listened to them.

The best value you could buy in that range are the Yuin OK2 (will be out in few weeks). They work great unamped and are very natural, detailed, and big headphone sounding.
I presume they'll be introduced with a group buy discount. With your budget, I wouldn't look any further.

May 26, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #4 of 7
how are er6s?

just to maybe clarify, i want a deep bass and clear highs if that helps
im guessing you cant have best of both worlds so if i had to choose id lean slighty toward bass.

May 26, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #5 of 7
Westone UM-1's are the ticket.

May 26, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by netring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how are er6s?

Very good, if you like the Ety house sound, but they need to be amped to really shine (talking ER6 here, not 6i).

Edit\ & knock E2c off your list. They have long been equalled & surpassed by others such as Crossroads X3 (3i now)...

Double edit\ just re-read OP -you're a 'bass person'? Hmmm...don't think ER-6 would be for you. Possibly 6i tho. Shure 210s can be bassy (warm, muddy, tho)

May 26, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #7 of 7
i see, thanks guys. i found a pair of barely used e4s for 100, but from what i just read in a couple of reviews the sound is very flat. Im no audiophile like alot of people here, i love the little details of songs but i dont want to hear just the details and not have any "fun" to the music. Correct me if im wrong, would e4s probably be a bad choice for me? i can get a pair of klipsch custom 1s for around 50$, which would be terrific, any opinions on them? Also, how much of bass improvement could i see with some eq playing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back