Help out an idiot!
Jun 1, 2009 at 8:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

AfricanProphet

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,
I'm new in these parts and, while I am fairly tech-savvy, the audio intelligence on this site puts me to complete shame. I was just wondering if there was such a thing as an idiot's guide to improving the sound on my iPod (or if that's is really even possible). I have a 5th gen 30gig video...I've heard of a program called Rockbox but I'm not exactly sure what it is...

If anyone out there would be willing to save an audio idiot I would be most appreciative!

Jun 1, 2009 at 11:07 AM Post #3 of 19
first and foremost, its the 'phones man.

Seriously.

You can spend all the money you want on amps and line outs and all kinds of wonderful, wallet depleting goodies but you're only going to sound as good as your weakest component.

Once you've got yourself some great headphones, or at least good ones...

Is your music encoded lossless? or 320/256 bitrates? Not trying to stir up the hornet's nest with the sonic purests...but if you're not CD quality or near CD quality, you're really selling yourself short. Even the average user can discern the difference between 192 and 320 kbs...its like listening to FM verses a CD...

and now? how about thinking about amps and line outs.

The amp runs inplace of your "inboard" DAC where apple cut a few corners for cost.

So you'll line out of your ipod to the input on your headphone amp (through the ipod connector on the bottom) then plug your phones into the amp's output.

Most people who have ipods (myself included) use a line out/amp scenario. Even a moderate amp like headroom's total airhead will be a step up. The amp will add so much "Depth" and "range" to your listening experience, you'll find yourself surprised. Don't be afraid to prowl the For Sale/Trade forums...

Quote:

I've heard of a program called Rockbox but I'm not exactly sure what it is...

Rockbox is an operating system for your ipod. So it loads in place of whats on your ipod now. Your music remains untouched. It replaces the apple interface. Some say, its the only way to go. Others say, its a tinkerer's dream. Others, its not worth hassle.

I fall under the latter. I've tried it and really found myself appreciating the stability of the ipod OS. Sonic Differences? I couldn't discern any.

but that is enough to keep yourself enthralled for now. I'm late for work and have to keep the funds rolling in for new toys...

Welcome to Head-fi, sorry about your wallet.

Jun 1, 2009 at 11:33 AM Post #4 of 19
LOD (Line Out Dock) and an external amplifier, that should improve the sound noticeable...
smile.gif

Jun 1, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #5 of 19
Strangely enough on my 5G iPod I noticed that Apple OS gave me some EMI from the output where Rockbox didn't. Not sure why, just an observation.

Jun 1, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #6 of 19
Thanks for the great responses...A few questions though...

Is it possible to change the bitrate of an MP3? If so, does anyone have a program they recommend?

I have a pair of ATH-M50s on the way...Would a portable amp make a significant difference on these?

Any opinions welcome!

Edit: the MP3s I am using right now vary wildly regarding their bitrate

Jun 1, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #8 of 19
It's possible, but it won't improve the sound. In fact, it'll worsen it.
Amps improve all headphones, just to different degrees. If you have some money to burn, then go for it. It isn't direly necessary looking at the specifications.

Jun 1, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Fidelity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The amp runs inplace of your "inboard" DAC where apple cut a few corners for cost.

Well, it won't replace the DAC, rather the built-in headphone amp – which is a great enough improvement indeed. :wink: Totally agree with the rest of the post; make sure your music is in good shape and get decent headphones. The ATH-M50 is a nice pair, you will certainly enjoy them.

When it comes to rockbox, do not hesitate to visit Rockbox - Open Source Jukebox Firmware. You'll find all necessary info, and of course the software itself, there. (Hope it's OK to post Rockbox's URL here, it's free after all.)

As mentioned, one can unfortunately not convert an MP3 file to a higher bitrate – your music will have to be encoded again from the raw format, or purchased in higher bitrate.

Good luck, enjoy the music!

Jun 2, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #10 of 19
^^
Great post papa sun

So, I know there is a portable amp board...but anyone have any recommendations on an inexpensive (im really tight for cash) portable amp? I know there's a headroom total airhead on the for sale board for around $60.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Anyone on hear use Rockbox with Vista? It says on their website that it may or may not have problems with Vista...

Jun 2, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #11 of 19
The Rockbox utility (GUI installation) may have issues with Vista's UAC. But you can get around that via a manual installation, if necessary.

Rockbox, as mentioned, is a complete firmware replacement for the iPod. The SQ will (arguably) improve with Rockbox's excellent equalizer, but it still won't compare with other DAP's out there unless you bypass the headphone out (I had a 30GB iPod Video, and did my own audio tests with the headphone out). You can still dual-boot with the old firmware, and can backout of the install later, if you want. It's worth looking into, but read the install guide so you are aware of what you are getting into.

Jun 2, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by AfricanProphet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the great responses...A few questions though...

Is it possible to change the bitrate of an MP3? If so, does anyone have a program they recommend?

I have a pair of ATH-M50s on the way...Would a portable amp make a significant difference on these?

Any opinions welcome!

Edit: the MP3s I am using right now vary wildly regarding their bitrate

You should re-rip your CDs at a minimum of 192kbps, preferably 320kbps, or better yet (but larger) FLAC/Wav.

If you don't have the CDs anymore (or never did :-o) don't try to re-encode them. As the others have said that will make them much worse!

Jun 2, 2009 at 10:20 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Well, it won't replace the DAC, rather the built-in headphone amp – which is a great enough improvement indeed.

You're so right.

Quote:

mp3 are a compressed format. So every time you "re-save" them as mp3, you re-compress the already compressed music.

This is the chain of events that I follow:

CD's: I rip them using Exact Audio Copy into Variable 320 kbps. I archive the music on a server so whole family can access it for their Ipods.

FLAC: I use DBpoweramp Music Coverter to covert into Variable "extreme" kbps. I then archive the music on same server.

(our "server" is just an "unused" PC that we store files on. Pictures, Music, etc for anyone to access. PCs, Xbox 360 upstairs or laptops.)

We use Media Monkey to load and unload the ipods.

before anyone starts throwing stones...

I prefer the variable mp3 for portable players because in noisy environments, I cannot discern the difference between the lossy and lossless formats. And noisy environments is where I use my ipod the most. With a 15 year old girl and a 4 year old boy and a wife round the house, I don't get the chance to "critically" listen to music much anymore. (let alone really crank up the guitar amp, but that's a whole different post on another forum...)

In addition, the size of the files are smaller therefor I can keep more music on my ipod, the transfer times are shorter (which really isn't a factor for me) and generally the media is more manageable.

Jun 2, 2009 at 11:46 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by AfricanProphet /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Certainly possible, but not recommended. As transcoding lossy to lossy mean additional data loss, and hence a risk the files will sound even worse than your current ones.
So either live with your current ones or re-rip from CD directly to a different bitrate.

Jun 2, 2009 at 11:59 AM Post #15 of 19
^^ what he said; transcoding from one lossy format to another even lossier format or hell even a 'less' compressed format, will result in more bits being lost to the ether

Users who are viewing this thread

Back