help out an audiophile noobie :)
Mar 7, 2006 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kokopuff17

New Head-Fier
I've been using a pair of HD650's with my computer for the last 6 months for my audio. Got these from my gf for Christmas and love them! Then i heard from a friend that if i had a headphone amp then these little guys would sound even better. So heres my setup that i'll be using
I listen to music on my computer at very high quality encoded through a Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS sound card. I ususally plug the phones into the volume control for my speakers, but if im using an amp should i plug them directly into the sound card after the amp?
Ok, finally to the question. I need an amp that will make my 650's sound even better at a BUDGET price. I see these amps selling for several hundreds of dollars but i don't have that kind of money to spend on this. My budget would be 100-150. THough the cheaper the better
smily_headphones1.gif
! Im really new to this, so thanks for understanding
smily_headphones1.gif
!

Mar 7, 2006 at 5:50 PM Post #2 of 6
For a cheap battery powered amp that'll do the trick, CMoy's the way to go. If you go with DC powered for that, make sure you put a regulator board between the power supply and the amp's power inputs.

Go to tangent's site for details on how to build it:
http://www.tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy-tutorial/

If you're not a fan of DIY (Do It Yourself), go to ebay and look up CMoy. It's a popular item to sell on ebay.

As for hooking up the amp, hook it up directly to the sound card.

Words of encouragement
tongue.gif
: I was exactly in your position a few months back, except with Grado SR-225s that my friends bought me. First, I started with the CMoy and from then on, my DIY experience just expanded. Don't get discouraged by the electronics behind it.

Mar 7, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #3 of 6
yeah, i'd kinda like to go with a non battery powered one just for the sake of a more powerful unit and not having to change batteries. cmoy you say? that will work well with the hd-650s?

Mar 7, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #4 of 6
It should work fine with the HD650. Fair warning though, I haven't tried it with the HD650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back