Help !!! Open or Closed headphones
Feb 22, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drubbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$ for $ Open sound better than closed.

$ for $ some also prefer the sound of closed to open headphones. It is just a matter of taste.

Feb 22, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mizukage92 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Around US $60 . I'm not from US ,if i converted that amount of money.....
It's too expensive for a student like me .....
frown.gif

With that kind of budget, you'd be hard pressed to find a decent open headphone. You'll probably be forced into buying a closed set.

Feb 22, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hipstergarabe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With that kind of budget, you'd be hard pressed to find a decent open headphone. You'll probably be forced into buying a closed set.

Could you give some examples of good cheap closed phones?

I'm being asked by a friend to recommend some at the moment and am having trouble with his preferred £50-£80 budget. I haven't personally heard a set of closed phone worth much coming in under £100.

Conversely, at a low price point with open backed design you have some nice phones to chose from - Sennhsier PX100, Koss Portapro, Grado SR60 are all great phones for their prices.

Feb 22, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #19 of 25
Why not iem? Er6 fits that price range..
I use iem for outside because of the isolation.
Grado sr60 is great but it was too bright for my taste.

Feb 22, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hipstergarabe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I generally disagree about this closed vs open generalization.... It´s more about the individual headphones but there seem to be a threshold. It´s easier to build open headphones with less resonances so at 60$ I would say open headphones definiatly have an edge. Or should have anyway since it takes more research regarding ear cup design with closed ones. I have very limited experience with closed headphones in that segment... Always bought open for more bang for the buck since the closed I tried didn´t really perform and most seem to be geared toward bass.

Feb 22, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AudioHi,
Veering slightly off topic quickly - what pads did you use with SR60? With comfies or flats they are not bright at all.

I used senn yellow pad with quarter mod.. I went back to stock pad because that was way too bright for me.. I ended up with unmodded senn yello pad..
I think grado sr60 is great for the price and for rocks.

Feb 22, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I generally disagree about this closed vs open generalization.... It´s more about the individual headphones but there seem to be a threshold. It´s easier to build open headphones with less resonances so at 60$ I would say open headphones definiatly have an edge. Or should have anyway since it takes more research regarding ear cup design with closed ones. I have very limited experience with closed headphones in that segment... Always bought open for more bang for the buck since the closed I tried didn´t really perform and most seem to be geared toward bass.

^ I would agree with that.

To make good closed cans I think takes a bit more R&D to stop them sounding echoey and muffled - every little factor of design and dampening will influence the sound.

To make good open cans you need a good transducer and an ear pad.

Over-simplification certainly; plenty of R&D goes into world-class high-end circum aural phones I know.

But it stands to reason given the variables present with closed phones that it's no surprise that you get PX100s and Portapros of the world - very nice open phones - for peanuts, but closed phones at the same price point tend to sound a bit dire (<in my subjective opinion).

Feb 22, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ I would agree with that.

To make good closed cans I think takes a bit more R&D to stop them sounding echoey and muffled - every little factor of design and dampening will influence the sound.

To make good open cans you need a good transducer and an ear pad.

Over-simplification certainly; plenty of R&D goes into world-class high-end circum aural phones I know.

But it stands to reason given the variables present with closed phones that it's no surprise that you get PX100s and Portapros of the world - very nice open phones - for peanuts, but closed phones at the same price point tend to sound a bit dire (<in my subjective opinion).

I'll guess i proceed with open-typed instead.

Koss portapro design sucks for cool guys like me
icon10.gif

Any other recommendation?

Is it Koss portapro best bang per buck?

I wanted a headphones that good to listen musical instruments at very sharp and detail (instruments like flute/ocarina ..etc )

Thanks.
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 22, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #25 of 25
The Grado Sr60i are an open design that deliver great sound.
For soundtrack music I would personally recommend open design. Obviously everyones taste is different, but in my opinion - the open design will allow for a wider soundstage and overall better sound (for that kind of music especially).

But like another poster said above, for that price you might be forced into getting closed. If you wanted to shell out like another 10 (I think, not sure). The grado sr60i's will probably meet/exceed your expectations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back