Help! One of my speakers are making strange scratchy noise
Dec 11, 2004 at 7:08 AM Post #16 of 20
Try pressing straight inward half-way up the cone at the 12 o'clock, 3 o'clock, 6 o'clock, and 9 o'clock positions. If the voicecoil is misaligned, you will likely hear rubbing in some positions and (maybe) no rubbing in others. If such is the case, your voice coil is probably misaligned. The misalignment may be due to heat (warping the coil) or due to a separation at the coil or spider. It's pretty rare that a frame will bend without it's having been whacked pretty well, and I think you'd remember that
smily_headphones1.gif

If the coil is misaligned you CAN get it replaced, but you're probably best off with a new woofer. Replacing the damaged coil might actually be the more expensive way to go.

BTW, that press test shoud be done slowly and not more than a few times. Also, if you're considering buying some used speakers, it's not a bad test to do - you want a driver that makes no noise at any position.

Dec 11, 2004 at 8:05 PM Post #17 of 20
It's definitely the speaker. Originally I had thought it was something from my analog rig, eg cart or phonostage, since I couldn't really hear the noise with cds. So, yeah, I did all the left/right switching combination possibilities. Now that I've exacerbated the problem, I can get my cds to make the noise.

I've contacted Totem, who said they'll see if they can find the nearest dealer to do the work. I've also contacted Galen Carol audio who will do the work, but suggests that I should contact Totem again. He thought it would be better for Totem to do the work. My options are to get the signature upgrade (if that in fact include new drivers) or just have the problematic driver replaced. I'll get the signature upgrade if the price is reasonable and have Totem service the both speakers since they are a quite few years old. But if it's really expensive, I think I'll just try and get the woofer from them and do the work myself. It doesn't look too difficult with only two solder joints.

thanks again guys for the help.

Dec 11, 2004 at 9:21 PM Post #18 of 20
If Totem doesn't cut you a deal - and I mean a real good deal for good will purposes - on your woofer replacement, then to save some $ how about considering having them just send you the one woofer and then doing the work in your own home? I've never specifically worked on a Totem speaker, but in general replacing a woofer really isn't all that difficult of a job to do, and it would save you a bunch of money in shipping costs and what-not.

Dec 11, 2004 at 9:40 PM Post #19 of 20
KZEE, that's exactly what I'm thinking. Although I'd rather have them service the both speakers, meaning do a complete overhaul for a reasonable price. That would be the best scenario. I plan on keeping these for many more years. My only concern about doing the single woofer is driver matching. I'm not certain on how that work (or maybe that's not a big concern with speakers). I guess I'll have to wait to Monday to speak to them about that as well.

Dec 13, 2004 at 3:39 PM Post #20 of 20
Before you get that new drive unit, try rotating the current one 180 degrees, and putting it back in. Over time, things in speakers can sag, and sometimes rotating the unit will allow things to sag back into their proper place. I've tried this on a 30 year old B&W speaker which was scratchy, and it did the job. Worth a try, might save all the hassle. If you do need a new one, you could perhaps try sourcing the drive unit yourself, if it's an off-the-shelf one.
Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back