Help on upgrading from my sennheiser momentum 2.0's?
Jan 4, 2017 at 12:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Frostychrist

Head-Fier
I am relatively new to using over the ear headphones. Used IEM's for a very longtime (last ones being Westone w4r). For whatever reason the IEM's started irratating my ear so I made the switch to over the ear. First pair the momentum's. I love these headphones. Just wish the mids were not as requested recessed. Love the bass impact and sound, but it can bleed into other areas. Treble is fine, but a little more splash than sparkle to my ears.

So, with that in mind I have been doing a ton of research to see if I can find something better. This forum has been helpful, but I'm just not sure what I should get. I want detailed sound across the board, but still to be fun with some bass impact. I tried the nad viso hp50, no go. Couldn't get a proper seal and I had to turn the volume all the way up to even get it moderately loud.

Leaning towards the Meze 99 classics. Seem to be just about what I'm looking for.
The v-moda crossfade m100...seem good but I think they may be too bass heavy.
The oppo pm-3's and b&w p7s look interesting, but everything I've read seems to suggest the bass isn't all that present.

Also, while an amp isn't out of the question, I'd prefer something that my s7 can drive.

Any headphone I missed? Thoughts and suggestions on any of these would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and closed back. Listen to these at work primarily.

Jan 4, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 5
Haven't heard the Momentums, but the Meze 99 Classics are definitely pretty good. The vocals definitely don't seem recessed to me, but i am coming from a long line of V shaped products, so I may not be the best judge there. 
biggrin.gif

They definitely have a fun sound signature, and the bass doesn't seem overbearing, so based on what you said you were looking for they seem to fit the bill. any your s7 should have absolutely no problem driving them as they actually are louder than both of my current IEMs at a lower volume. 
But I don't think they would be very portable as the headband style doesn't seem to like movement that much. walking with them was a somewhat noisy process, and the cables are very microphonic. But once you get still they sound fantastic.

Jan 4, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks. Yeah, the more I research the 99's the more I think I will get them. The pm-3's are interesting but they seem like they would be a little more neutral than I'd like. They are a little more portable as well. Not a big concern though when I use them I am mainly stationary. As long as the 99's don't fall off my head if I move a little I should be ok. Same goes for the microphonics. Don't like that but not a deal breaker for me. Wouldn't hurt to give my ears a little break when I do get up and move around, lol.
Thanks for your input. I'll be doing some more research before I make a decision. Would be helpful if I had a place where I could test them, lol.

Jan 9, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #4 of 5
Play3r on3, thanks for your input. I did end up getting the 99's and so far I am very happy. I am not getting any microphonics from the cord and the headband seems very stable and very comfortable.

Jan 9, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #5 of 5
Play3r on3, thanks for your input. I did end up getting the 99's and so far I am very happy. I am not getting any microphonics from the cord and the headband seems very stable and very comfortable.

Glad to hear it! I'm really loving them as well. Hope you enjoy them for a long time to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back