Help on starting out?! please :)
Mar 8, 2010 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

therover

New Head-Fier
Hello, I don't know the first thing about hi-fi or high-end audio, BUT I love listening to music. So much so, that I have been searching for better ways to listen to my music, then I stumbled upon this site.
atsmile.gif

Here's my situation:
Most of my listening is through headphones, mostly in quiet environments(library, my room, walks, etc). I was thinking of buying some sennheiser 650 and a portable amp, but after reading around here, I'm not sure that the sennheisers will sound as good as they can (or even decent?) with a portable amp. OR would I be better off starting off smaller? Any recommendations on how to enter the head-fi world is appreciated!

Mar 8, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #2 of 22
From the locations you mention the 650's wouldn't be the best choice, or any open cans for that matter. In a library others will be able to hear your music, and walking outside you'll have external sounds mix with your music. Unless you only plan to use them at home in a quiet environment they're probably not the best choice. You might check out some portable or closed cans instead. Take a look at the Audio Technica esw9 and the Dennon D2000's, those could better fit your needs it sounds like. Also, you might want to let us know your preference in music, as some headphones do better with different genres.

Mar 8, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #3 of 22
I recommend starting low and slowly work your way up. I started off with some SONY MDR-150. We're in similar shoes actually, I'm also looking for a pair of portable full size. I've pretty much narrowed my selections down to the Denon D1001 and Audio Technica ATH-M50. They're both closed, around $100 and sounds decent unamped.

Mar 8, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #4 of 22
I second something in the Denon or in the Audio Technica line (though I've never owned or heard any). Something closed and cheaper than the 650's, especially with a portable amp.

Also, why the interest in Senn's? They are widely known for their warm/laid back and bassy SS which is good or bad depending on your preferences or music. They are not as "neutral" as some others iow. I'm not basing them, I've never even heard them, but I really dislike my 595's and would never had started with them knowing what I know now.

Mar 8, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #6 of 22
Look in senn hd 25 1 they are real good in isolating , small, light, indestructible, dont need an amp . Sound of hd 25 1 is very punchy but not boomy , bass is lightning fast, they are not typical senn 'phones with laid back sound , little darker and forward-in ya face type of sound. You can change steel cable with hd600/650 cable and benefit in SQ which is very cheap and say 5min mod!

Mar 8, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #7 of 22
I agree. The HD 25 1 and both Denon's mentioned are both good choices. You might also consider Beyerdynamic Dt 880's.

Mar 8, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #8 of 22
Yeah for a library (or any quiet environment), and walks you'd want a closed headphone.
You havn't really said anything about your budget, but since you were considering the hD650's I'd say its anywhere up to and above 300?

I have not tried anything in that price range, but I can definitely recommend the HD448's which I auditioned about a month ago. They are very very good for portable users. They sound great being driven from a portable device and have a well balanced sound - so they can handle all genre's of music. The highs could be better (but then again I'm comparing that with my HD555's).

Also the srh440's are pretty good, bit less detailed compared to HD448 and much less comfier.

Mar 8, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #9 of 22
Also for a little more money, you may want to consider the esw9. They sound amazing and don't need an amp. Very portable and look fantastic. I like them much better than the HD25 I II, which are also very good.

Mar 8, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #10 of 22
If open cans, consider Alessandro MS1i.

If closed, Audio Technica ATH-M50, Shure SRH440 (or SRH840), Sennheiser 448

At least that's what I would do. All of them are very good headphones, both amped and unamped. Good luck!

Mar 12, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #11 of 22
Thanks for the input! I figured I was too eager to run when i haven't even come out of the womb.

About the wallet- what's a college kid to do? :/
and I would be willing to spend around $300 (maybe more if its worth it)
boy, do those esw9's look cool!

Rock n roll is my passion, but I listen to all kinds of music for the sake of enjoyment.
I do some dj'ing and was wondering if anyone has experience with the Allen and Heath xd-53's?

Mar 12, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #12 of 22
Thanks for the input! I figured I was too eager to run when i haven't even come out of the womb.

About the wallet- what's a college kid to do? :/
and I would be willing to spend around $300 (maybe more if its worth it)
boy, do those esw9's look cool!

Rock n roll is my passion, but I listen to all kinds of music for the sake of enjoyment.
I do some dj'ing and was wondering if anyone has experience with the Allen and Heath xd-53's?

Mar 12, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #13 of 22
From what i've read, ESW9 doesn't require a portable amp but they will improve with one.
Personally... I dont think a portable amp is worth it. Too much money & effort for marignal sound benefits on the go. I'd rather just crank that money on a home amp

Mar 12, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #15 of 22
While I believe that the hd650 is one of the best headphones money can buy, I am not sure that it will fit what you are looking for. They are an awesome home headphone but aren't great for portable use and they do leak sound as mentioned above. They also need a decent amp to sound their best. A portable amp will get you 75% there but will sound weak in the midrange and will lose control in the bottom end.

I would second the recommendation for the hd25 if you want something closed and portable.

the D2000 is a great headphone but Denons, even though they are closed cans, aren't great at isolating sound (in or out). I would say "sorry about your wallet" but I think you get the picture!

Since you are now a head-fi member, it is probably a good choice to buy the hd650, a good hybrid amp, and a pair of the hd25 or an IEM for portability.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back