Help! On Sony 6band EQ@_@
Jul 19, 2014 at 6:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

JTLovesMusic

100+ Head-Fier
Would like to know how should i set the EQ for this Sony player (i would like to have more bass and a little more treble without muffling the mids help is appreciated, =)

Jul 19, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #2 of 8
SImple. Just boost 0.4 a bit, maybe even 1 for bass, and boost 6.3 for treble. 16k boost is also recommended. Though I don't recommend boosting more then 2db. Or, you can just bring down 2.5 to cut down the mids a little. Also mess around a little with Clear Bass option. EQ will worsen SQ for a fact(even if barely), but if you want more bass and treble, increase the lower and the upper end of the spectrum.

Jul 20, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #3 of 8
  SImple. Just boost 0.4 a bit, maybe even 1 for bass, and boost 6.3 for treble. 16k boost is also recommended. Though I don't recommend boosting more then 2db. Or, you can just bring down 2.5 to cut down the mids a little. Also mess around a little with Clear Bass option. EQ will worsen SQ for a fact(even if barely), but if you want more bass and treble, increase the lower and the upper end of the spectrum.

Thanks 
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #4 of 8

Is that so, how will a proper EQ worsen SQ?

Jul 20, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #7 of 8

Well, on most DAPs, the EQs are software EQ, where distortion tends to increase. On a proper hardware EQ, the SQ will remain, but not on a crappy software EQ. Especially ones like "Clear Bass".

then is it better to boost the treble or bass with an external amp 
confused.gif

The EQ on your device is most likely rather poor, but probably fine to use, though it may introduce distortion/clipping etc. Consider it a fun feature.

@kimvictor we do agree that properly implemented software EQ doesn't make for worse SQ, right?

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #8 of 8
  The EQ on your device is most likely rather poor, but probably fine to use, though it may introduce distortion/clipping etc. Consider it a fun feature.

@kimvictor we do agree that properly implemented software EQ doesn't make for worse SQ, right?

Ya. If done well, EQ can be magical. Lots of low end devices have a fairly crappy EQ, but few software I tried were awesome! AK100 for instance. 
  then is it better to boost the treble or bass with an external amp 
confused.gif

Just mess around with the EQ on your walkman first. I used to have a walkman, and the EQ wasn't too bad. Though I recommend that you bring down the mids, rather than boosting the bass and treble. This should help lessen distortion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back