Help on PecanPi
Jun 2, 2020 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ChoColostrum

Head-Fier
Hi this is the product link in question:

https://orchardaudio.com/shop/ols/products/xn-pecanpi-usb-preorder-21a

I am curious since the only Output method is XLR. Isn't XLR balanced connection? all my headphones are unbalanced and I know it won't work. But the owner emailed me that XLR>RCA adapter will work if I use another 3.5mm to rca adapter.

So my question
1. Is it safe? or should I just look for other DAC/Amp with more Output options?
2. Given the number of adapters, would the quality lessen?

Thanks

P.S. I do not know if this is the right sub-forum to post this, admins/mods please feel free to move this thread where this belongs. thank you

Jun 3, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 3
XLR doesn't have to be balanced (a single 3-pin XLR ususally isn't AFAIK) devices with seperate left and right 3-pins (or a single 4-pin) like this usually are.

Looks like it includes it's own XLR>RCA adapters. A 3-pin XLR connection actually has 4 poles (pos, neg, signal ground, chassis ground) so if they have a custom adapter it is possible they have taken advantage of this to create a seperate single end circuit internally specifically for the RCA adapters- this device's spec sheet does list seperate specs for XLR and RCA..

This is all speculation on my part though, I have never used this device and cannot comment on its safety. If the person who makes it says its ok, I guess it depends on if you trust that person lol. If it makes you nervous there are plenty of dac/amp options in this price range.

The Introductions, Help and Recommendations forum probably would have been the place for this post. https://www.head-fi.org/forums/introductions-help-and-recommendations.7840/

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #3 of 3
okay thank you. I just wish they could have included an rca output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back