Help on Millet part list
May 1, 2006 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Qsilver2001

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

Noob to building a Millet. While sourcing the parts for the Millet there are afew parts not available from where I am.

1)CAPS[C3/C4/C5/C8]= I couldn't find Wima MKP but found MKS which is polysters. And also found Vishay Roederstein MKP1837-410-161-G 0.1uF/160V. Can I use wima polyster instead of polypropylene on C3/C5/C8?

2)Resistors= Can I mix use RN55D resistors instead of RN60D? For R4L/R couldn't find the actual value, can I use other values close to that eg. 21.0ohm or 23.7ohm? Which is a better choice between 21.0ohm & 23.7ohm?

3)Buffers[BUR634P]= Any difference between TI made & Burr-Brown made?

4)Fuse[PF1]= Can't find the actual value RXE050/0.5A. Can I use RXE075/0.75A or RXE030/0.3A?

Thanks all.

May 1, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Qsilver2001
1)CAPS[C3/C4/C5/C8]= I couldn't find Wima MKP but found MKS which is polysters. And also found Vishay Roederstein MKP1837-410-161-G 0.1uF/160V. Can I use wima polyster instead of polypropylene on C3/C5/C8?

They should be just fine. You don't have to use wima. If you can get panasonic they work just as well. Or xicon

Quote:

2)Resistors= Can I mix use RN55D resistors instead of RN60D? For R4L/R couldn't find the actual value, can I use other values close to that eg. 21.0ohm or 23.7ohm? Which is a better choice between 21.0ohm & 23.7ohm?

You can actually jumper these resistors if you use the BUF634. They are only there to protect from short circuits. The buf634 has built in protection. You can actually use the RN55 series as well as the RN60. The amp does not draw enough current for it to be a problem.
Quote:

3)Buffers[BUR634P]= Any difference between TI made & Burr-Brown made?

One in the same I would geuss
Quote:

4)Fuse[PF1]= Can't find the actual value RXE050/0.5A. Can I use RXE075/0.75A or RXE030/0.3A?

From what I remeber, I think my millett only draws like 250mA but it may draw more on startup. I would order one of the 0.30A and one 0.75A

If you have a meter that will measure current you can see how much the amp draws with the 0.75A in place. If it's less than 0.30A on startup you can replace the bigger fuse with the smaller one for more protection

May 1, 2006 at 5:15 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbelyo
They should be just fine. You don't have to use wima. If you can get panasonic they work just as well. Or xicon

What about polyster vs polypropylene if I want to use wima MKS polyster "cut cost" on C3/C5/C8?

Quote:

(R4L/R)You can actually jumper these resistors if you use the BUF634. They are only there to protect from short circuits. The buf634 has built in protection. You can actually use the RN55 series as well as the RN60. The amp does not draw enough current for it to be a problem.

If I were to use a resistor which is a better choice between 21.0ohm & 23.7ohm?

Quote:

From what I remeber, I think my millett only draws like 250mA but it may draw more on startup. I would order one of the 0.30A and one 0.75A. If you have a meter that will measure current you can see how much the amp draws with the 0.75A in place. If it's less than 0.30A on startup you can replace the bigger fuse with the smaller one for more protection

K, will just grab both seems its not burning my wallet with its price on these 2.

Thanks.
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

What about polyster vs polypropylene if I want to use wima MKS polyster "cut cost" on C3/C5/C8?

sure, polyester is also useable without too much performance impact.

Quote:

If I were to use a resistor which is a better choice between 21.0ohm & 23.7ohm?

both are more or less the same. i doubt you could hear any difference.

May 1, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by thedoctor
sure, polyester is also useable without too much performance impact.

both are more or less the same. i doubt you could hear any difference.

Ditto

May 2, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #7 of 14
I don't mean to derail the thread, but instead of starting a new one I figured I'd ask here. Does anyone know of a good source for some 12FK6 and 12AE6A tubes? They seem to be getting harder to find...

May 2, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
I don't mean to derail the thread, but instead of starting a new one I figured I'd ask here. Does anyone know of a good source for some 12FK6 and 12AE6A tubes? They seem to be getting harder to find...

the same reason i didn't build the Millet and went with popular 6922/6DJ8 and build the YAHA instead.

May 2, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

http://www.vacuumtubes.net/

Ordered 2 pairs of Tung Sol 12FK6s from them.

12FK6s are $2 per tube; if you want them matched its an additional $2 per tube. Shipping was $5 via USPS Priority. They processed the order fast, but took ard 3 days replying to my initial e-mail (asking if they had Tung Sol 12FK6s)

I wasn't sure if MHs needed matched tubes, but I got them matched just in case.

Tubedepot has some RCA 12FK6s; but only a lone Tung Sol (I e-mailed asking if they had Tung Sols too lol). Each tube is more expensive at $3.95, and I didn't ask if there was a fee to match pairs.

May 2, 2006 at 5:59 AM Post #10 of 14
I have not seen any tube shortage for the Millett. 12AE6, 12FK6 and 12FM6 are readily available from at least a half-dozen sources, maybe more - usually at $2 a piece. We should be so lucky with the buffers.
frown.gif

EDIT: I hope you guys are right about the sound quality of the Tung-Sols. Physically, they are the worst quality tubes of all.

May 2, 2006 at 7:54 AM Post #11 of 14
I just ordered some 12AE6A NOS (new old stock) from TubeDepot which were unlabelled - had no brand. Maybe I was suppost to specifiy what brand I wanted... dang.

May 2, 2006 at 8:59 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Those tubes are used in & is part of the list for building a Millet, I dun see that is derail the thread.
biggrin.gif

I always thought that 12AE6A was easy to find? But I have not source it yet so I may be wrong.

May 2, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #13 of 14
Prices on the Millett tubes have definitely gone up lately, what used to be a $2 tube is now generally a $4 tube, $6 if you want them matched ($12/pr). Still a heck of a lot cheaper than "real tubes" and from the places I've been talking to lately there doesn't seem to be any shortage. I believe the quote today was, "We've got all sorts of crap!" Tung-Sol's seem to have disappeared but I wouldn't fret too much about that, RCA's sound pretty good to me too and are easily found.

Nate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back