Help on making a good speaker system with little money
Nov 24, 2002 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

BoardC3

500+ Head-Fier
I think ive decided on getting the ASL wave 8 monoblocks just because theyre supposed to be the best value in tube amps, but what speakers should i get with them. I really like the Paradigm monitor series and i was wondering if this would have the power to drive them? also I would need a good CHEAP preamp (basically i just need a volume control with IC ins and outs) so what should i do about that? I already have decent cabling, and a good CDP.

Nov 25, 2002 at 4:39 AM Post #4 of 20
nOrh is putting out a very inexpensive tube amp right now, and it's integrated so you'd only have to make one purchase. It's $400. check it out here:

http://www.norh.com/products/se9/index.html

just in case you're still considering alternatives to the wave 8s. this should be better, but the power output is almost the same. For a small room and with reasonably efficient speakers, 8 watts should be ample.

As for speakers, the axiom audio lineup is very well regarded. Take a look at their bookshelf models or entry-level floorstanding models for some more options. Someone on this board mentioned that he used wave 8s with a pair of Axiom M3Ti's, so it could certainly work.

Nov 25, 2002 at 4:55 AM Post #5 of 20
I actually just got some PSB 600i speakers and MIT T2 speaker cables. Both are supposed to be warm sounding and ive been told by the person that im getting them from that I definitely should not get tubes because it gets to be sounding way too warm. I trust this guy alot so now im looking for a good integrated SS amp under $500.

Nov 25, 2002 at 7:36 AM Post #7 of 20
I'm sorta on the same boat. But I want am looking for a tube pre-amp with headphone output. So far, there're the Wheatfield HA-1, AES AE3. As for power amp, the wave 8 are on the list, so is the bottlehead paramour and consonance. And I have my eyes set on the Axiom M3Ti.

Nov 27, 2002 at 12:49 AM Post #8 of 20
There is another option if you want to save some money. They are well regarded compared to the Axiom M3Ti's: Swan Diva M200's. Yes, they are computer speakers. Amp is inside the right speaker for $200 plus shipping (I got them about $245 shipped). Imported from Swan in China at http://www.av123.com/

I got mine today and they are VERY incredible. Search http://www.avsforum.com for reviews. Also reviews at 3dsoundsurge.com and directly compared with the Axioms at enjoythemusic.com.

If all else fails, try them out with the 30 day money-back deal. They really are very good and worth the trial. They've been burning in for almost 10 hours and the bass is already much better (much tighter, better extension). I'll post more info in a week or so once they are all settled.

Note: sorry if this message is jumbled, I am being thankful for vodka.

Nov 27, 2002 at 1:16 AM Post #9 of 20
again, everyone I just got speakers im looking to spend this money on a 2channel integrated or a receiver. I think I might be set on the Integra 5.2 i just need to hear a few impressions.

Nov 27, 2002 at 6:16 AM Post #11 of 20
Yes, they are bumpin now and I definently agree. Absolutely incredible for $200.

I'm afraid they are making me phase my headphone system out for late-night-listening.

If you have the room, try them!!

Nov 27, 2002 at 2:07 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by BoardC3
I actually just got some PSB 600i speakers and MIT T2 speaker cables. Both are supposed to be warm sounding and ive been told by the person that im getting them from that I definitely should not get tubes because it gets to be sounding way too warm. I trust this guy alot so now im looking for a good integrated SS amp under $500.

Okay, but not all tube amps are warm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back