Help on making 1:1 copy of CD
Oct 16, 2005 at 3:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

PATB

1000+ Head-Fier
I currently use iTunes to make another copy of my CD for use in the car. Since I only rip to 320K (for my iPod), the copy is not an exact copy of the original.

Can anyone recommend an easy to use program that will allow me to make a 1:1 copy of a CD without having to rip the CD to iTunes or Windows media player first?

Thansk in advance for any information.

---Pat

Oct 16, 2005 at 4:01 AM Post #2 of 9
Check out EAC and CDex. Those are the two most accurate ripping programs (EAC is usually better than CDex at ripping scratched discs, but for non-scratched discs it doesn't matter which you use). In EAC the best mode to use is Secure mode (this is a lot slower than Burst mode but it enables error checking/correction) and in CDex you should use Paranoia, full mode (this is slower than standard mode, but like EAC, it enables error checking and correction). Both programs can rip to WAV. Also, you can configure iTunes to rip to WAV by changing the conversion format (I think, I don't have iTunes installed so I can't check it right now).

EDIT: Also, I think that most CD burning programs will let you burn tracks directly from other CDs (they rip them temporarily to the hard drive themselves before burning), but they don't use methods as accurate as EAC or CDex do so I wouldn't reccomend it.

Oct 16, 2005 at 4:44 AM Post #3 of 9
What exactly do you want to transfer the mp3 to CD audio format to play in your car? Or to copy from one Cd to another, in both cases any burning program can do that...

Oct 16, 2005 at 1:20 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
What exactly do you want to transfer the mp3 to CD audio format to play in your car? Or to copy from one Cd to another, in both cases any burning program can do that...

Exactly. Unless I'm missing something, as long as you are connected to the internet, have a burning program that accesses the CDDB databases, you'll be able to make an exact copy.

Oct 16, 2005 at 2:00 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by PATB
I currently use iTunes to make another copy of my CD for use in the car. Since I only rip to 320K (for my iPod), the copy is not an exact copy of the original.

Can anyone recommend an easy to use program that will allow me to make a 1:1 copy of a CD without having to rip the CD to iTunes or Windows media player first?

Thansk in advance for any information.

---Pat

Pat
Unless you have 2 disk drives (Like me) you will always have to rip, or otherwise load the CD onto your hard drive in order to turn around and burn a copy.

However, if you go to your iTunes preferences and under the importing tab, change it to AIFF encoder, you will get a full strength non compressed file to make a copy from.
Once you're done burning you can delete the music to save space if you like.

Since I have 2 disc drives, I have been using Roxio's Toast to copy CD's, it's noticeably faster than iTunes and also has the ability to copy enhanced CD's that have non music info on them.
TR

Hang on,
Just re-read your post.
Rip the CD in AIFF FIRST.
Burn your CD, then switch your import preference back to 320K.
Select the music you want at 320K, click the advanced tab and pick "convert selection to 320k".
iTunes will down-convert it for you.
There ya go
biggrin.gif

Oct 16, 2005 at 2:13 PM Post #6 of 9
I have found EAC to work with all cd's,especially with those having Sonys and EMI's copy protection modes.
Simply select : let me choose my drives settings.
Enable Stream and C2 error correction but disable the CACHING feature.

Oct 16, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks guys.

I am just trying to make a back-up copy (CD to CD) for use in the car or in another system in the house. Since I don't have two CD drives, I am just going to rip in some lossless format first, burn, then delete.

Oct 17, 2005 at 12:20 AM Post #8 of 9
When you copy a disc with Nero or another burning app, it'll just read the disc and cache the data to the harddrive, then pop it out and ask for a blank cd.

You don't need two cd drives to be able to copy a cd.

Doing this will rip an image of the disc to a temp folder on your hdd, and then burn it to the blank. No ripping to wav, encoding, etc.

Oct 18, 2005 at 7:11 AM Post #9 of 9
PATB,

This is sort of nitpicking really: don't lose sleep over it.

Anyway. Since you're deleting after burning, you may want to consider whether the copy is an actual 1:1 -- that's in case you want to make a copy of the copy sometime later.
For one copy only you won't lose any audio samples data, but know that generation loss is guaranteed unless your drive can overread the lead in and lead out of a CD: there is no way around that if you want a true 1:1 copy. http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=141799

In short: if you're only copying from the original CD, you will never know whether it's 1:1 or .999...:1 when playing the copy; there will be no difference in actual audio samples.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back