Help on finding a DAC!
Apr 24, 2008 at 10:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

xxsphshadowxx

Head-Fier
I have a RSA Hornet --> HD650 and K701, but the soundcard on my laptop (Realtek High Definition Audio) does not have a separate lineout that I can connect to the Hornet with. So right now the sound quality coming out of my headphones are sub-par. I would like to know what stand alone DAC I can get, preferably under 200 maybe 300. So far what I've been recommended is the Headroom DAC but I would like to know if there are any other options. I would prefer the DAC to have a line-out output and not TOSLINK or RCA, that way I can use an 1/8" interconnect from the DAC to the Hornet.

Thank you.

Apr 26, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #2 of 12
That's a tough price point for standalone DACs, since most in that range tend to have built-in headphone amps as well, for example the Zhaolu DACs. The HeadRoom is probably a safe bet, and you may want to look at the E-MU 0404 USB (though that's not really a standalone DAC).

Also, "line output" just means that the signal is unamplified, as opposed to a headphone output. All DACs have line outputs. Most higher-end DACs don't have 1/8" outputs, but both the HeadRoom Micro DAC and the E-MU 0404 USB do.

If you're willing to go used and/or accept other output sizes, your options may open up.

Apr 26, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #3 of 12
I would be perfectly willing to buy it used. About output size a 1/4" would be fine also. I've been looking at the Fubar II USB DAC, but is the sound quality good on it? Given that it is only 120USD new.

Apr 26, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #4 of 12
No, given the quality of your other components, you'll probably want something better than that. If you're willing to go used, add the Oritek V4 Zhaolu to the others; it's a heavily modified version of the Zhaolu D2.5A that's been receiving great reviews.

There aren't really any giant-killer DACs for under $500 at the moment, though there are some DIY projects, like the Jambo DAC or the Twisted Pear Opus DAC, that might be good values even if you have to find someone to build them for you.

Apr 26, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxsphshadowxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a RSA Hornet --> HD650 and K701, but the soundcard on my laptop (Realtek High Definition Audio) does not have a separate lineout that I can connect to the Hornet with. So right now the sound quality coming out of my headphones are sub-par. I would like to know what stand alone DAC I can get, preferably under 200 maybe 300. So far what I've been recommended is the Headroom DAC but I would like to know if there are any other options. I would prefer the DAC to have a line-out output and not TOSLINK or RCA, that way I can use an 1/8" interconnect from the DAC to the Hornet.

Thank you.

Why not sell your Hornet and get a Predator?

Apr 26, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #7 of 12
Thank you everyone for the replies.

In reply to burnspbesq: I've actually pretty new to the audiophile scene and just bought the hornet, so the money I will get back from selling the hornet won't be enough to justify the fact that I spent alot of money on an item I didn't need (my fault but I'm trying to make the best out of it). Along with the fact that I might want to upgrade to a desktop amp later on anyway but will still need a DAC connected to my laptop since I am not going to replace it anytime soon. I might as well get a standalone DAC that I will keep.

The USB DACs mention in the reply mostly have RCA out. So my question is will I just need a interconnect that has RCA on one end and mini-plug on the other to plug into the hornet?

Apr 26, 2008 at 8:37 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There aren't really any giant-killer DACs for under $500 at the moment,

Apogee Duet is under $500. $495, to be precise, and down to $400 on eBay.

Apr 26, 2008 at 9:00 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apogee Duet is under $500. $495, to be precise, and down to $400 on eBay.

Yep, Apogee Duet would be a solid choice if he has a Firewire output and a Mac, since it's incompatible with PCs.

Apr 27, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxsphshadowxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you everyone for the replies.

In reply to burnspbesq: I've actually pretty new to the audiophile scene and just bought the hornet, so the money I will get back from selling the hornet won't be enough to justify the fact that I spent alot of money on an item I didn't need (my fault but I'm trying to make the best out of it). Along with the fact that I might want to upgrade to a desktop amp later on anyway but will still need a DAC connected to my laptop since I am not going to replace it anytime soon. I might as well get a standalone DAC that I will keep.

The USB DACs mention in the reply mostly have RCA out. So my question is will I just need a interconnect that has RCA on one end and mini-plug on the other to plug into the hornet?

Yep, your right.

Just get a RCA to Mini plug IC and you'll be fine.

You'll want a DAC with RCA out becuase if (I mean when, this is Head-Fi
biggrin.gif
) you upgrade you'll need it.

Plus if you get a nice DAC now, when you upgrade to a better amp you won't have to worry about upgrading your DAC also.

I've heard great things about the Keces DA-151 and it would work great with the USB port on your laptop.

Here's a great review of the Keces for you to read: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/re...s-burn-297021/

Apr 27, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonFreeman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How bout selling the Hornet and buying a predator, your budget plus what the hornet is worth will get you there. Why have a nice portable amp to take with and then have a large dac?

I explained why I didn't really want to get the predator even though it is an option. The DAC for me is focused on a non-mobile home usage, my portable setup is Mp3 player line-out ---> Hornet ---> to headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back