Help on choosing some affordable earbuds
Dec 28, 2007 at 6:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

varkunus

Head-Fier
Ok well firstly i am new to forums i think ive read all the sticked threads, and hope im not repeating a topic. But im looking for some cheap affordable earbuds. Im looking for something under £20 ideally and cant really stretch much more than that. So far i think i have narrowed it down to the skullcandies (although i have my doubts), sennheiser cx-300, and the OVC tc-30 (although hard to get hold of).

I am primarily looking for in ear comfort, and loudness, although sound quality does not have to be outstanding, aslong as its reasonablely good. So Comfort/Volume>>>sound quality. I know this may sound nooby but i really cant feel music unless its pretty loud. I will be using these phones in conjunction with my new sony phone.

Also just a little queery, does the ouput DB like 112 or what ever litterally mean how loud it is, or can one 112db rated headphone be louder than another 112db. And how is this measured just out of interest.

THanks for the help guys, and if you have any other suggestions feel free to post.

Dec 28, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #3 of 28
It's not so much noobish as much as it is deaf-by-the-age-of-25 sounding. Any reason you are particularly stuck on earbuds? There are several selections that are decent in sound quality at that price range (or so I hear) but most aren't earbud style.

Something like the Koss KSC 75 are clip ons and are supposed to be allright. Also perhaps something like the Sennheiser HD-201 or Sennheiser PMX 100; the former is a sealed headphone which may allow you to isolate yourself a bit from the outside word. This has a dual effect, one is you may not have to play as loud if you can shut out the rest of the world even slightly. The other is that you can spare those around (slightly) that would have to hear the sound otherwise. But something full sized may not be for you. The koss' may be good if your willing to step away from the earbud design but still want something reasonably small. The PMX is at the top of your price range, I believe that symbol is for pounds so this should still fall within your price restriction.

In case you care otherwise, check out HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears and you can do a check by price to see a few headphones available at your price range as well as see what the phones look like and what they think about them. Website is great for just chilling out and reading as well, quite entertaining.

Dec 28, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #4 of 28
well i want some that is small and in ear although i know that a on head headphone will achive much better sound quality, although i could use just normal in ear headphones i often find some of them fall out my ears, so thats why i though earbuds would be good, although if can recommend any normal earphones which are good ill check them out too

Dec 28, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #8 of 28
Yeah I was thinking of another sennheiser model that are ear buds. As for the cx300 I don't know anything about them but what I can say is that they will not fit exactly like your "christmas tree" shaped plugs. Those are called triple flange, something like the er6i headphones utilize triple flanges (look them up on amazon or something to see them). It seems likely that the cx300s would be a very good choice, and the isolation of them would be very good. They won't go as deep into the canal as something like the er6i, but that is not necessarily an issue and for some people its an improvement.

I myself love in-ears (I own the er6is and will soon be getting super fi 5 pro as soon as the lousy mail carrier brings them =P).
Also, I'm not of the opinion that full sized automatically means better quality. In-ear phones are very capable (depending on which ones you buy of course) of producing sound quality well above their price range if you were to buy a full sized headphone at the same price. Not always true but it certainly can be. They benefit greatly from the isolation and they are incredibly portable.

Dec 28, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #10 of 28
Oh yes, one thing to keep in mind is that the cord seems to be quite short on the cx3000s, 21 inches or 53 and 1/3 centimeters. Cord length is always something to keep in mind, so check out a few and see if they will be long enough to fit your needs. I tend to like about 5 feet worth of cable (1.5 meters) to feel comfortable with my phones. I like to put my player in my pocket. Just something to keep in mind for your comfort needs.

About in ears in general, you will be able to generally play them louder at a lower volume setting than other headphones. One of the reasons is the isolation, you can hear more and perceive it as louder without the other noises from your environment. So yes, likely any in ear you get will be loud enough for your deafening needs

Dec 28, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by varkunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bump

Sorry, did you just bump a 130-minutes old post? Relax!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back